Funny videos

red750

9 hours ago, facthunter said:

Blondes should mount a class action lawsuit against how they are depicted.  Nev

You're probably right, but according to my niece who works for a multi-national that sells, amongst other things, hair dyes to supermarkets and to hairdressers, they sell the blonde hair dyes at 5xc the rest combined. So I would wonder, why, given the stereotype, there are so many wanting to pretend they are blonde? I guess they don't care too much about what we [edit] may  think.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick

13 hours ago, red750 said:

A flavour of the Connoisseur brand ice cream labelled suitable for vegans has been withdrawn from the shelves because it contains an allergen that is unnamed in the nutrition information panel. That allergen is milk. 

Before you go off about lactose intolerance,  I agree that people with it would be choosing milk-free products. But what made me chuckle was that the media story didn't mention that condition, only the vegan aspect.

• Like 2

"London to a brick", which was coined by the great Australian horse racing caller, Ken Howard at the time of the London Blitz in the Second World War. Meaning what you are betting on is about a certain to win as sunrise tomorrow it was one of a number of iconic sayings that entered the Australian vernacular in the 1940s and 50s. Good horserace callers require sharp eyesight, a memory for horses, jockeys and the colour of their silks and, most importantly, a quick brain and a way with words to clearly deliver the call as the race happens. Howard’s popularity was in part due to the fact that he imbued his calls with an excitement that reflected the drama of the race, complete with a vivid turn of phrase. Much to the joy of the punter keen to know how his fancied horse was travelling, Howard was also good on detail. He didn’t just call the frontrunners, but named the position of each horse at regular intervals during the race and where they finished.

He was the sound of my Saturday afternoons when, as a young bloke, I was busy doing my bit of the weekly housework to help a mum who worked, and liked "tipping" the races. That's a thing she sti; does at 98 years of age.

• Informative 1
  • Winner 1

Regarding "London to a brick, on". There are two allusions in that phrase. The most obvious is the comparison between a city made of millions of bricks and a single brick. Since the phrase can be taken as the betting odds of a horse, "odds on" means that you have to wager a large sum to win a small amount. Of course if you win, you get your stake money back as well as the small bit extra. It's a bit like investing $100 at 3% interest. At the end of the term you get your $100 back plus $3. In either case, if the investment fails or the horse loses, you lose a large amount.

The second allusion is to a slang term for the twenty-pound banknote, which is coloured orange. Because of the clay they were made from, Sydney bricks were most often orange in colour. Therefore a twenty-pound note was a brick. Apparently, since the conversion to decimal currency (58 years ago next 14th February), "brick" has supposedly been replaced by "lobster", but I've never heard that term. 

In fact one hears very few slang terms or even witty nicknames these days. I guess we are fast dumbing down to the level of the Yanks.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, old man emu said:

Regarding "London to a brick, on". There are two allusions in that phrase. The most obvious is the comparison between a city made of millions of bricks and a single brick. Since the phrase can be taken as the betting odds of a horse, "odds on" means that you have to wager a large sum to win a small amount. Of course if you win, you get your stake money back as well as the small bit extra. It's a bit like investing $100 at 3% interest. At the end of the term you get your $100 back plus $3. In either case, if the investment fails or the horse loses, you lose a large amount.

The second allusion is to a slang term for the twenty-pound banknote, which is coloured orange. Because of the clay they were made from, Sydney bricks were most often orange in colour. Therefore a twenty-pound note was a brick. Apparently, since the conversion to decimal currency (58 years ago next 14th February), "brick" has supposedly been replaced by "lobster", but I've never heard that term. 

In fact one hears very few slang terms or even witty nicknames these days. I guess we are fast dumbing down to the level of the Yanks.

"DRIFT! DRIFT!",  I cry.

That's not a funny video!

Time to start a new thread devoted to obscure witticisms!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately there is no other way to share it. That is the only link, it is not on Youtube or anywhere else. It was a collection of roadsigns, and placenames, like Crackpot, Climax, Hooker, Whynot, Rough and Ready, Big Beaver, Sprad Eagle, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1