Funny videos

red750

Watched this with my daughter who is in her first year of year 12 (who else but the British could come up with that)?

This was set in my old high school (now secondary college) where I completed Year 12 (HSC). My, how it has changed.

I recall coming back to the school on the day we got our results. Our year 12 coordinator, and if I recall, my politics teacher, on seeing me, stated in a rather surprised manner, "You PASSED!!".  My lowest scoring subject: Politics (I did pass it... just)

• Haha 1

Exams are a cruel 19th Century invention that only show how well a student can take in, retain and regurgitate information that, in many cases, we believe to be true today, but a few years later we find out that it is not true, or should I say, totally correct.  Which impression of the atom were you taught was correct - the 'planetary' one where electrons whizz around central mass of protons and neutrons, or a central mass surrounded by an electromagnetic fog?

Q5 Draw a neat labelled diagram representing an atom Name the three  subatomic particles in the atom ...

I believe that the basics of a good education for the 21st Century is a solid grounding in the 3Rs, but the R for Reading should not only be the ability to convert printed symbols into sounds and the recognition that those sounds represent things, but Reading should also involve the ability to critique the ideas expressed in that collection of sounds. Writing should be focused on communication, and therefore should involve a knowledge of contemporary syntax and spelling. 'Rithmetic should concentrate on the basics of the arithmetic functions, basic features of geometric shapes, including coordinate geometry involving only sine, cosine and tangent calculations. Esoteric topics such as Calculus are not required for the average person.

I would add a fourth "R" - Research. Mankind's accumulated knowledge now can be accessed through the Internet. It is essential that our children learn how to utilise this wonderful facility. But, and there's always a "but", it must involve going back to the Number 1 "R" - Reading, and the application of skills in critiquing what is read. 

If we can instill the Four Rs into our children during their early school years, then we can throw off the chains of 19th Century thinking that have made our children's school years unpleasant and release them into an unfettered system where they choose into what they want to become competent. Still require them to attend those collections of buildings we call "schools", but after spending some time in set locations attending to the Four Rs, let them go where their interests takes them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

It really is amazing how we survive our constantly flawed education systems. My early education got thrashed into me by vicious bastards who would be rightly recognised as child abusers today.

I've actually learnt a vast amount more in adult life, from other, kinder people who shared their hard-earned knowledge freely - and by substantial amounts of reading of books and articles that contained information highly relevant to what I was needing to find- not irrelevant histories of corrupt monarchs and monarchies.

I must also gratefully acknowledge the military training I received, which was not just simply parade ground training, but in-depth training in many important fields, and in particular, how to organise people.

And at the end of the day, I flunked out in Year 11 to go earn some decent money, and run my own business. I never did acquire that Matriculation, and I'm convinced a slew of exceptionally poor high school teachers were the major reason I chucked in higher education.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

' My early education got thrashed into me by vicious bastards who would be rightly recognised as child abusers today.

I totally agree. demobbed soldiers given unrestricted access to vulnerable children should never have happened  .

More damming charges against the government of the day .

spacesailor

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Anything past the level OME refers to, I refer to conditioning rather than education. I have to admit, I had it a lot better than some of you fellas.. I only really remember one particularly nasty teacher that would resort to corporal punishment to the full extent she could for the most minor transgressions. The problem was, I can be a stubborn SOB, and I would push her harder. I recall the headmasters office more that year than the classroom.

When my daughter was deciding between here and Aus for her final years of school, wee had an interview with the headmaster and a year 11 girl at a school I went to. My, how the curriculum had changed, and how more progressive it is there compared to here.. until Year 12, and then there is a massive side-step in the way they teach over here. 

The above video is set at McKinnon Secondary College (High School when I went there) - which outside Melbourne High and Macrob Girls, which were effectively private schools run by the state, was the yardstick in performance when I was there, and for a long time.. My moved from his profession to teaching about 15 years later, and at I think it was Glen Waverly High, they were chuffed they came second to McKinnon. What impressed me was the upgrade in facilities over time. I checked out Glenroy Secondary College, which is (or was) in a much more deprived area than McKinnon, and it, too, seems to have a lot of investment put into it. The government really seems to be investing, which is a good thing. Now we need to get the system right. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I may have told you this before, but when I went to Deniliquin High School, we had a headmaster who was a tall, baldheaded guy referred to by students as Bertie Barrentop. He was co-author of the NSW high schools mathematics textbook. He took particular pleasure in correcting miscreants with six of the best from a cane like the handle of a feather duster. If you were in the classroom next to the office, you would often see one of the troublemakers heading for the office, then hear the swish, swish, swish of the cane. I only ever received one stroke of the cane, when he whipped every boy in the class because the room was too noisy. The subject? ...... Woodwork.

• Informative 1
  • Sad 2