Quickies part 2

red750

I feel sorry for the kids who do not have any physical or mental disabilities. It must be horrible to be scorned by the rest of the school population as a minority.

OK. Not PC but wasn't meant to offend. It was a joke, Joyce!

• Like 1

Dunno if the One above is a repeat.

Historical whinges of the PAST.

We are the  ONLY people in the street without a TV

Now it's I'm the only kid in the street who's Parents are not getting divorced.

Owner of Chinese Restaurant,  Depressed almost to the Point of suicide. MY house is the SMALLEST in the entire street.

Angry and Jealous friends in the Suburbs. "Oh WE have a new CAR, have WE"? Rob a Bank or something? Nev

• Sad 1

A guy was creating a new password. He was told it had to have eight characters and one capital.

His password was MickeyMinnieGoofyDonaldDaisyHueyDeweyLouieDublin

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How things change! The first storage devices were similar in size to a LP record. Then we got 5-1/2' floppies, which were replaced by 3-1/4" floppies in a hard case. Then we got CDs and USB drives. And now it's all in the Cloud.

Twelve years ago, my wife had some professional photos done of our grandson and they were delivered on a CD. I gave it to my son yesterday and he said that he could not access them because none of his computers had a CD drive. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, old man emu said:

How things change! The first storage devices were similar in size to a LP record. Then we got 5-1/2' floppies, which were replaced by 3-1/4" floppies in a hard case. Then we got CDs and USB drives. And now it's all in the Cloud.

Twelve years ago, my wife had some professional photos done of our grandson and they were delivered on a CD. I gave it to my son yesterday and he said that he could not access them because none of his computers had a CD drive. 

A disc came with my new printer I’ve just set up, if your computer is old enough to have a drive, it might not be working all that well now, with the built in made to die functions.

When I worked for AV Jennings, this was the system I worked on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_System/360_Model_30

They decomissioned it not long after I left (can't remember how long I was there - maybe a year or so).. As I recall, there was a tall filing cabinet sized disk, which held a whopping 64mb - or maybe it was 128.. it was some time ago. Gigabytes were not for those

However, while that was the oldest system I used (had core memory which where like ferris doughnuts), the fiirst system I worked on that got my career started was a Prime 750 (last photo here): https://www.chilton-computing.org.uk/acd/icf/mums/p014.htm

That big box to the left is a line printer - oh the fun we had with thise thinhs...

The phot above shows the removable disk drives we used - they were a whole 300mb each... And they were heavy.

The latest in the lineup I used was a 9955 Mod II here: https://www.banjohangout.org/photo/71150

Their downfall was they claimed they had a 64 bit system,. but it was really 32 bits... they just moved two "words" (32 bits) at a time to make the operating system think it was 64 bits..

Of all the systems I worked on, I still preferred the Primos operating system the most. Rock solid, easy to use, and super flexible in programming..

Apols for the thread drift...

Here is a corny joke to make up for it:

Why is Cinderella so bad at football? She keeps running away from the ball.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick