green power solar is

storchy neil

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 'cos they sit on them after. Apparently it's to stop them rolling off rocks, which shows other wombats that the territory is taken. Or so I've heard.

Marty, I found this photo of what appears to be wombat poo. You could be right; it's almost square and they do look like they've been rolling in it.

[ATTACH]49906._xfImport[/ATTACH]

D0PQy3eUwAEhnAV.thumb.jpg.08d24ba2b8fa2cf28f1ce9368632a9ca.jpg

Marty, I found this photo of what appears to be wombat poo. You could be right; it's almost square and they do look like they've been rolling in it.

[ATTACH=full]3897[/ATTACH]

By gosh, you're right!!

But I've never seen a wombat poo holding a piece of coal before.

• 1 month later...
Well so what

Well to some of us new technology is of interest.

You want that go live there

Would love to visit but perhaps a little cold and windy for my liking.

what industry’s do they have

Farmings and fishing as it said in the article.

Neil, it used to get its electricity from the mainland which was costly and unreliable. I am not sure why you are so contemptuous of something that in this situation works, just fear of the new I would suggest.

German Pilot Solar Panel Recycling Plant A Success - Solar Quotes Blog

Every new industry develops, we do not necessarily start out with all the answers. Coal power stations produce coal ash (fly ash and bottom ash) as well as many other unpleasant and dangerous by-products. We know nuclear has its challenges re waste.

You seem so anti solar I would not be surprised if you went on a rant about the ISS (space station). They should get rid of those solar panels right, just burn coal eh?

I suspect that you are unhappy with progress in general.

But keep your feet on the ground guys. Hydrogen has been around forever and it is very expensive.

Once, I made hydrogen and oxygen from a wind-generator and it would have taken 2 weeks worth to boil a cup of water. It would never have paid off the embedded energy in the wind-generator.

But here's a thing often misrepresented... the Hindenberg airship was so flammable because of the nitrocellulose dope over linen, almost a recipe for gun-cotton. Not so much because of the hydrogen.

But keep your feet on the ground guys. Hydrogen has been around forever and it is very expensive.Once, I made hydrogen and oxygen from a wind-generator and it would have taken 2 weeks worth to boil a cup of water. It would never have paid off the embedded energy in the wind-generator.

But here's a thing often misrepresented... the Hindenberg airship was so flammable because of the nitrocellulose dope over linen, almost a recipe for gun-cotton. Not so much because of the hydrogen.

May be true but the hydrogen burnt really well. If it had been helium the result would have been much different.

Hydrogen has been around forever and it is very expensive.

That depends on the power source for electrolysis. The Orkney Isle (famously windy) is generating around about 120% of its energy needs. This is not just an idea this hydrogen IS being used to heat houses and also create electricity and power the Islands ferries when they are in dock and there are plans to eventually replace the diesel-powered ferries with fuel cell powered ferries.

I made hydrogen and oxygen from a wind-generator and it would have taken 2 weeks worth to boil a cup of water. It would never have paid off the embedded energy in the wind-generator.

How did you use the hydrogen? did you burn it or did you create electricity from a hydrogen fuel cell?

The Orkney Isles produces enough hydrogen to power ships whilst and they are producing enough to power future fuel cell powered vessels.

The level of efficiency that you are able to get at home is not indicative of leading-edge technology and I am pretty sure you don't have a hydrogen fuel cell.

If they do not use excess wind and tidal energy for electrolysis what do you suggest they do with it?

BIG HIT Creates Exemplar ‘Hydrogen Islands’ Energy System for Orkney –

"The Orkney Islands have over 50 MW of installed wind, wave and tidal capacity generating over 46 GWhr per year of renewable power and has been a net exporter of electricity since 2013. Energy used to produce the hydrogen for BIG HIT is provided by the community-owned wind turbines on the islands of Shapinsay and Eday, two of the islands in the Orkney archipelago.

At present the Shapinsay and Eday wind turbines are often ‘curtailed’, losing on average more than 30% of their annual output, limited by grid capacity restrictions in Orkney. This wasted energy from the locally owned Shapinsay wind turbine will be used by the BIG HIT project to produce renewable hydrogen using a 1 MW PEM electrolyser supplied by ITM Power. Storing excess renewable energy as renewable hydrogen in this way increases the utilisation of the installed wind capacity without the need to reinforce the grid connection."

First ever hydrogen from tidal power produced in Orkney

"Using prototype tidal energy converters, the ITM Power electrolyser is able to split water into its constituent components of hydrogen and oxygen. According to EMEC, the 0.5MW ‘polymer electrolyte membrane’ (PEM) device is capable of producing up to 220kg of hydrogen gas (H2) every 24 hours, with the system also containing storage for up to 500kg."

Sydney university has developed a gel version of the zinc bromine battery & now has a venture capital partner now to develop it. The company is Gelion. The technology is 100 years old and always needed a liquid reservoir to pump the liquid around as it only worked as a flow battery. The good thing about this gel technology is it is stable, non flow, is scaleable from mobile phones to huge building size, that there is hardly any deterioration over time and cost is low. See Gelion Technologies

I'm glad they didn't ask the government for help. That would have been a sure fire way to bury it.

• 2 weeks later...
gee SA not the place to start a business bruce a 650 million dollar has fallen over after getting 110 million dollars from the government oh don't worry neil

I know you don't care about facts but here are a few anyway.

A $650 million solar thermal power plant planned for Port Augusta will not go ahead after the company behind it failed to secure commercial finance for the project.

Sunday and said it would not be able to achieve financial close by the May 31 deadline set by the Government.

Earlier in 2017, the Federal Government confirmed it would grant $110 million in a concessional equity loan to support the project.

A Commonwealth concession loan of up to $110 million will be made available for the project, at a 3 per cent interest rate.

You seem to be suggesting that $650 Millon has somehow been wasted, this is what the project would have cost the developer. The $110 Million was a promise of a loan at 3% interest. So what is your problem? This is not an unusual scenario. Governments invest via loans or tax credits in all sorts of businesses including in the mining industry.