SILLY SIGNS. . . . .LET'S START A THREAD ?

Phil Perry

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't got a photo of it, but when I was in Tullamarine airport yesterday I noticed a sign out on the tarmac which said "Give way to aircraft".Would've thought that was pretty obvious.

You seen some of those guys on the tugs? I don't think they've heard of a stop sign let alone a give way sign.

So many close encounters!!!

Saw a sign on an empty lot.CLEAN PHIL WANTED.

Don't come the raw prawn mate,. . . .just remember what I could do to you with the rough end of a pineapple. . . . ( especially if you dIdn't noticce me coming. . . .)

Which would be dificult, as it would have to be dark. . . .

( Oh . . .come on,. . .Y'know. . .eclipses an all that. . . .)

Don't come the raw prawn mate,. . . .just remember what I could do to you with the rough end of a pineapple. . . . ( especially if you dIdn't noticce me coming. . . .)

I always carry a broom handle in the dark, just in case

I don't think anyone here wants to see you Coming Phil.....

In the UK we seem to be getting lots of signs warning of floods or bumpy roads. Basically the council cannot be arsed to repair the roads/clear drains so put up signs instead spacer.png

Whilst living in Brisbane I attended a friend's wedding ceremony. There was a sign in the church car park politely asking visitors to try and park as close together as possible as it was a small car park. At the bottom of the sign my wife giggled about the footnote, which someone had removed part of, the remaining text said :

". . .pay no heed to this notice" ! shame we didn't have camera phones in the early seventies !

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

[ATTACH]48387._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]48388._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]48389._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]48390._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]48391._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]48392._xfImport[/ATTACH]

image.jpeg.62211b008a777a26da066dea2a125289.jpeg

image.jpeg.1253307760368e25b5741eb9ce8aafb3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.be9835e6b5b811d2154a996ea6635eea.jpeg

image.jpeg.26f0bdafa815ad13b40cf9c88dc57bed.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.30274051c6321834d292e9eb0371cb49.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.89db844bf1aec19ed28b6f2d2ac1c650.jpeg

Haven't got a photo of it, but when I was in Tullamarine airport yesterday I noticed a sign out on the tarmac which said "Give way to aircraft".Would've thought that was pretty obvious.

We ( my lady Captain and myself ) were on VERY short final to land, in our recently built X'Air Mk1 at a fly-in at the top of Cheddar Gorge in 2003, in order to accomplish this, as the wind was quite strong, we had to approach over a stand of poplar trees which were approx 30ft in height, and as we slid over the treetops and started the flare,. . ( my mate Sue was flying P1, left seat ) just prior to the actual last bit, some bloke appeared from nowhere, and we struck him on the head with the flat underside of the left wingtip.

This sounds very serious, and I guess, for him, it probably was,. . but the wing struck him flat, on the top of his head, and it was possibly the fact that this aircraft was dacron covered which saved him from more serious injury. . .The bloke had "Run" out from behind the cover of the trees, on the left side, I never saw him until we heard the bump,. . . but we stopped fairly quickly; as the grass was damp, and a bit on the deep side,. . .( ! )

The bloke was out cold, but fortunately, when the paramedics arrived and had a good look at him. . .he was pronounced OK, just suffering from a sore neck, and mild shock. I have to say that this site was a "Farm" and not an airfield, although the bloke was a "Rego Spotter" and knew that there would be aircraft on the site, as that is why he had attended. . . . Sue was really upset, and thought that we had killed the guy,. . .but all was ok and we all got molly munk together in the conjoined tent city on that evening. ( They used to group the tents all together and join them with covered walkways to keep the rain out ! )

The point of this post Marty. . .?

There were no signs around saying "Give way to aircraft" as we were only there for two days, once a year ! ! ! ! I phoned the CAA about the event, on Sue's behalf and they showed a distinct lack of interest as nobody had been dedded, and there was no damage to the flying appliance either.

When flying into these buckshee events, you have to be sooooo careful, as people are strange animals,. . especially these rego spotter looneys ( Trainspotters) and they will run up to your plane to get all the details in their little notebooks before you've even stopped the engine. They INFEST EVERY fly-in and airshow event everywhere. . . I wonder if the "Registration Spotter" culture exsists in Australia ? . . got to be honest, I'd never seen it before, until I returned to the UK from OZ.

Surely you MUST HAVE SOME ANORAKS OUT THERE SOMEWHERE ? ? ? ? ?

Crickey Phil, that would have been a shock! Haven't seen that interesting breed of human at Fly-Ins but maybe I haven't been paying enough attention.

Twice I've had a ground marshal suddenly walk along the front of my wing to talk to me while the prop is still spinning. There is a metre or so clearance between prop and wing, but you never know if the marshal is a local Lions Club volunteer and new to planes or an experienced aviator. Either way, it's reason to whack those kill switches!

We ( my lady Captain and myself ) were on VERY short final to land, in our recently built X'Air Mk1 at a fly-in at the top of Cheddar Gorge in 2003, in order to accomplish this, as the wind was quite strong, we had to approach over a stand of poplar trees which were approx 30ft in height, and as we slid over the treetops and started the flare,. . ( my mate Sue was flying P1, left seat ) just prior to the actual last bit, some bloke appeared from nowhere, and we struck him on the head with the flat underside of the left wingtip.

This sounds very serious, and I guess, for him, it probably was,. . but the wing struck him flat, on the top of his head, and it was possibly the fact that this aircraft was dacron covered which saved him from more serious injury. . .The bloke had "Run" out from behind the cover of the trees, on the left side, I never saw him until we heard the bump,. . . but we stopped fairly quickly; as the grass was damp, and a bit on the deep side,. . .( ! )

The bloke was out cold, but fortunately, when the paramedics arrived and had a good look at him. . .he was pronounced OK, just suffering from a sore neck, and mild shock. I have to say that this site was a "Farm" and not an airfield, although the bloke was a "Rego Spotter" and knew that there would be aircraft on the site, as that is why he had attended. . . . Sue was really upset, and thought that we had killed the guy,. . .but all was ok and we all got molly munk together in the conjoined tent city on that evening. ( They used to group the tents all together and join them with covered walkways to keep the rain out ! )

The point of this post Marty. . .?

There were no signs around saying "Give way to aircraft" as we were only there for two days, once a year ! ! ! ! I phoned the CAA about the event, on Sue's behalf and they showed a distinct lack of interest as nobody had been dedded, and there was no damage to the flying appliance either.

When flying into these buckshee events, you have to be sooooo careful, as people are strange animals,. . especially these rego spotter looneys ( Trainspotters) and they will run up to your plane to get all the details in their little notebooks before you've even stopped the engine. They INFEST EVERY fly-in and airshow event everywhere. . . I wonder if the "Registration Spotter" culture exsists in Australia ? . . got to be honest, I'd never seen it before, until I returned to the UK from OZ.

Surely you MUST HAVE SOME ANORAKS OUT THERE SOMEWHERE ? ? ? ? ?

I'm not sure Phil, I have the feeling that only the English have the anorak-wearing bespectacled types that record aircraft rego's, train numbers and sightings of the blue-boobed purple-footed red-crested shrike thrush with OCD-like fervor...

Every culture has it's wierdos...

In Aussie it's the Roo-rooters and Sheep-shaggers, always after a new connquest.

In England it's the Trainspotter types, chasing numbers.

In the US it's the gun collecters, other than Texas where they're just normal guys.

In France it's the Casanovas. Better taste there I think, noting down whether the carpet matches the curtains instead of rego nimbers...

You get the idea. Same OCD, just expressed differently.

Just recently a Chinese documentary film crew happened to be visiting our field and they wanted to film my takeoff as I was the only plane flying. I explained exactly what I would be doing then backtracked and turned around, to find that three of them had set up tripods in the middle of the runway about three quarters of the way down. I thought about it for a moment then took off, and was probably 200 feet above them when I got there. I reckoned that they knew I was coming and if I had to abort they would dive for cover. There was a lot more runway than I needed and it was no different than if they had been beyond the end fence on a shorter runway. I hope they weren't disappointed with the lack of dramatic footage.