Silly Picture Thread.

Phil Perry

You'd have to eat a lot of rhubarb leaves to kill yourself - but they will make you sick. The major chemical in rhubarb leaves has been identified as oxalic acid, which is supposed to be the chemical that makes you sick - but the jury is still out on whether it is the oxalic acid that makes you sick, or whether it's other chemicals as well. There may be a synergistic effect with other chemicals in the leaf that increases the toxicity of the oxalic acid - or it may be that some particular crops of rhubarb have increased levels of oxalic acid.

The interesting part is that oxalic acid is found in many other enjoyable and regularly-consumed foods - which list includes many leafy, green vegetables - and tea.

There are numerous reasons why some people should limit their oxalic acid intake - but for most people, a moderate level of oxalic acid intake isn't a major problem.

The Chemistry of Rhubarb - https://www.compoundchem.com/2015/04/16/rhubarb/

Oxalic Acid - Good or Bad? - https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/oxalate-good-or-bad

6 Secretly poisonous plants that we eat all the time - https://modernfarmer.com/2015/08/secretly-poisonous-plants/

I find the chemistry of plants we eat to be interesting and not generally examined by most people - but I believe the chemicals in plants can have either a beneficial or a toxic effect upon us.

I've noticed whatever chemical it is in the red-leaved lettuce leaves has an adverse effect upon me. I also find these leaves to be bitter, so I try to avoid them.

SWMBO suffers from arthritis, and has worked out that plants in the Nightshade family - tomatoes, capsicum, chillies, potatoes and eggplant - all affect her arthritis in a very adverse manner.

If she eats any amount of the above, her arthritis flares up, and her joints become more stiff and swollen than normal. So she simply avoids eating, or minimises her intake of the above, to ensure she doesn't suffer unnecessarily. 

Add in the chemical cocktail in Chinese food additives - such as MSG, fish sauce, oyster sauce, and soy sauce - all of which contain some pretty potent chemicals - particularly to us of Anglo-Saxon descent, who haven't got the ability to digest these chemicals, as Asians do - and you end up being very careful about what you eat.

I still don't understand how people continue to eat vast amounts of chilli in foods, or who add chilli to everything. The major chemical in chilli - capsaicin - is a pretty potent toxin and irritant to those of us who don't have the genes to tolerate it.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

2 minutes ago, onetrack said:

…chemical cocktail in Chinese food additives - such as MSG, fish sauce, oyster sauce, and soy sauce - all of which contain some pretty potent chemicals - particularly to us of Anglo-Saxon descent, who haven't got the ability to digest these chemicals, as Asians do - and you end up being very careful about what you eat.

Many East Asians can’t tolerate cow’s milk products, presumably because their rice-farming ancestors never ate them. How many generations will it take for their decendants to adapt?

Evolution is a fascinating subject; every time I startle a kangaroo, it rapidly retreats then stops about 70m away to watch me. That’s the effective range of a Gamilaroi spearman, according to early white explorers. So, in a couple of hundred generations the silly macropods haven’t adapted to long-range firearms.

• Like 2

You can get 'roos to stop, much closer than 70 metres, if you stay stock still yourself, right after you've startled them. They're wary of any movement, but stop to look for it, if they can't see any.

The brother was walking around the fairly thick bush and trees on the farm one day, when he stumbled over half a dozen 'roos sleeping under bushes.

He didn't see them, and they didn't see (or hear) him, before he literally fell over them.

Of course, they all panicked, and jumped to their feet and took off - but he immediately froze - and they all stopped within about 8-10 metres of him, and were looking around everywhere for the source of the reason for the panic.

He said it was hilarious - he reckoned you could just about actually see the 'roos communicating with each other, with looks that said,

'Roo No .1 - "What did you just jump up for?"

'Roo No. 2 - "I thought I saw something moving!"

'Roo No. 3 - "I didn't see anything? Did you see anything, Fred?
'Roo No 4 - "No, I didn't see anything, I just jumped up, because Joe jumped up!"

'Roo No 5 - "Well, I took off, because Ted took off!"

This went on for about 30-40 seconds, with all the 'roos scanning their surroundings nervously - until suddenly, one 'roo actually spotted the brother, and realised a HUMAN was RIGHT THERE! - and then it was a mad scramble, as they all took off, to disperse through the bush, putting at least 150 metres between him and them, before they relaxed and stopped again.

I don't believe the 'roos are smart enough to figure out the range of modern firearms, but the crows in the wheatbelt used to figure that out, very quickly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, onetrack said:

I don't believe the 'roos are smart enough to figure out the range of modern firearms, but the crows in the wheatbelt used to figure that out, very quickly.

Even more thread drift: ever notice while driving that all types of birds fly off the road as you approach, but crows calmly take a few steps out of your way, then go back to their feast.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

Even more thread drift: ever notice while driving that all types of birds fly off the road as you approach, but crows calmly take a few steps out of your way, then go back to their feast.

Because they're bloody smart.  Not only that, they'll even wait on the other side of the white line if there's no traffic coming the other way.  It's as if they've figured out that traffic (usually) stays on the left.

• Agree 2

57 minutes ago, facthunter said:

If you bought a Ferrari to get around town, you'd probably be a wanker anyhow... Nev

I once overtook a red Ferrari Dino in heavy traffic in Sydney’s CBD. (I was walking).

The heroic young driver was revving the V-12 regularly, perhaps because it wouldn’t idle, maybe to ensure everyone noticed his new toy. As the owner of Italian V-twin motorcycles, I love the sound of a good engine, but this expensive plaything was less appealing than a 2-stroke.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 06/05/2022 at 1:02 PM, Old Koreelah said:

I once overtook a red Ferrari Dino in heavy traffic in Sydney’s CBD. (I was walking).

The heroic young driver was revving the V-12 regularly, perhaps because it wouldn’t idle, maybe to ensure everyone noticed his new toy. As the owner of Italian V-twin motorcycles, I love the sound of a good engine, but this expensive plaything was less appealing than a 2-stroke.

If it was Dino it is a V6.  It is the same basic motor used in either the Lancia's or Alfa Romeo's, can't remember which.  They were originally just called Dino after Enzo's son, i.e. not Ferrari.  Mate of mine had one.  Beautiful to drive and pretty quick.  Not as quick as "real" Ferrari though.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1