Silly Picture Thread.

Phil Perry

I'd hate to think what the driveshaft balance would be like, with those spanners welded in place. It only takes as little as 50 grams imbalance to set up massive driveshaft vibration that will destroy other, unrelated drivetrain components. I've seen starter motors and alternators shaken off, and clutch bell housings cracked, with driveshaft imbalance, over a relatively short period of time.

I have to confess I have one of those "junk drawers" nearly everywhere - in my Hilux, in my workshop, in the garage at home - because I have this overwhelming, all-encompassing fear, that one day I will be stuck somewhere, with something broken, and no tools or parts to fix it with!!

Maybe I've just spent too much time in outback and isolated Goldfields areas, where, if you broke down, or injured yourself, you could easily die.

I've also helped a lot of people who became stranded in isolated areas, simply because I always carried a good range of tools, and "bits and pieces"!

Good communication methods today are a godsend. What I wouldn't have given for a mobile phone in the 1960's to 1990 - when I got my first mobile! - a Motorola "brick"!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1