Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk resigns

red750

It will be interesting to see who the caucus elects as replacement premier on Friday. Deputy Premier Steven Miles will be a front runner. He's from the left faction and Annastacia is from the Labor right. Miles is experienced and capable but might be a bit hard to sell in next year's election. He's one of those politicians who does a quite reasonable job but doesn't have the personality and gift of the gab to appeal to a lot of people. On the other hand, the top job might allow him to remake his image somewhat.

The resulting by-election shouldn't be a problem for the government. The seat of Inala is Kath & Kim country, safe Labor and about as working class as you get. She won her seat in the last election with 67% primary vote and almost 80% TPP.

• Informative 1

The next Queensland election is next October and will be the first of fixed four year terms. By that time, the LNP will have had one term in government in almost 27 years, and that was with their can-do clown messiah which didn't work out too well. The LNP will have a better chance next election but they need another 13 seats to win a majority. To do that Labor would have to be on the nose as the Queensland LNP doesn't have a great deal of talent to offer. One thing in the LNP's favour is the demographic change. Queensland gets a continual migration of Victorian self-funded retirees who in the main are conservative voters. The other advantage is the Murdoch monopoly on the printed press here. Brisbane's major paper, the Courier Mail is one of the worst in the Murdoch stable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Who'd like the job of being Qld's premier and expect to be "Liked" at the end. It's as impossible as making a group of pilot's happy.  WHY hasn't she "cancelled" the cyclone off the Coast.  This is the Place  where the "JO for  Canberra" idea  came from (and Pauleen Hanson and Clive Palmer). and the NO Dutton and Kevin.. and a copper named Terry something or other . Nev

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I'm reasonably happy with the Queensland government. The only thing I don't like is all the spending on Olympic sports stadiums when our health system needs a big boost. A couple of weeks ago, a heart attack victim spent three hours ramped in an ambulance outside the hospital before dying in the ambulance. The category three waiting list for a hip replacement is three years. Meanwhile all the pollies are bragging about the nice sports stadiums they're going to build. The LNP also love the Olympics and sports stadiums, so I don't know if they'd be any better on health spending. Just going by their election promises last election, I doubt anyone in the Queensland LNP has even the most basic grasp of mathematics, so they would probably be no better at keeping the books. Mostly the place functions ok; all we want is a decent health system.

• Like 3

That's the rub..  If by and large they have done a good job, you're in a good position. No one is perfect, and for some reason, poillies seem to want some sporting stadium as their legacy.. Unless there's some real skeleton lurking in the closet, I thought she did a reasonably good job, too.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 3
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, pmccarthy said:

What a strange name she has. How many words have two z's in them? It’s a real puzzle.

Don't go to Poland then or you'll go cross-eyed. Beats me how they pronounce half their names.  One example is the old Polish LiM fighter aircraft manufactured at Mielec, which is pronounced 'Mil-ets".

• Informative 1

My dad's sister married a Polish guy whose surname was one of the most common - Polish for Smith. His name was Henryk Kowalski. Polish pronunciation of surname Ko-Varl-Ski. My aunt passed away in 1973, and he passed awayabout 8 years later.

• Informative 2

Annastacia Palaszczuk is one of those generational politicians, having taken over her father's seat when he retired. On the other side of the house, the Qld.LNP has Fiona Simpson who has held the seat of Maroochydore for 31 years. Her father was a long time member of Joh's government.

• Informative 2

The Queensland premier has copped a lot of unwarranted flak over the years including personal attacks by political opponents. One that was below the belt was when some LNP members were having a go at her for being divorced and childless. The truth is she loves kids and dotes on the children of her sisters. She tried to have kids but a bad miscarriage left her unable to ever have children. Thankfully, not all in the LNP are that low and stupid. The Courier Mail keeps file photos of her where the photographer has caught a bad photo of her. If you take multiple photos of anyone, you can cherry pick plenty that leave the subject looking a bit silly. The Courier Mail regularly plasters those unflattering photos of the premier on the front page on purpose. All part of Murdoch's brainwashing campaign to oust any Labor government. I don't blame her for having had enough after all the crap she's had to put up with for so many years. I wish her well and hope she can now go and enjoy life.

• Like 4