Electric car thread

spenaroo

On 02/04/2024 at 11:31 PM, old man emu said:

Posted here, but could also go in the Funnies.

I didn't want to click on that one as I have seen one of his vids previously, and disigenous is a polite way I would decribe it.

Yeah.. if one steals a car low on fuel, it is likely to run out...

But, that vid misses the point. All this advanced tech - regardless of fuel type - can help lower crime, can't it... After all, if the crims can't steal getaway cars without their owners being able to track them, which will finally lead to a foot chase, if not being nabbed, then will they not less likely a) steal a car for the crime (one less ciminal action); or b) just not bother with the crime in the first place? Yeah, they may try something else, but a lot of theft of that nature anyway, requires a getaway car...

• Like 2

Well what if the Tesla had a full battery and over 500km of range? There is a new Chinese battery manufacturer with a semi solid state battery that has 720 Wh/kg, more that double the best Lithium  batteries available providing 2000km of range with the same physical size and lighter weight than the best of the current lithium based battery installed in the Zeeker-1 which has 1000km of range. Also for those who doubt the huge advancements in battery technology CATL, the worlds largest battery manufacturer has just announced 2 batteries with a 1 million and a 1.5 million km warranties. These are designed for buses and large machinery but it shows how far battery storage and longevity has come in a very short time.

I am sure most EVs have similar functionality but my car has an inbuilt E-SIM. If I leave the E-key in it and someone drives off with a full battery the car will stop less than 5km from home as I have it geofenced via the MG iSmart app on my phone. Pretty simple and works just like Lime Scooters and other electric scooter hire companies. I have configured the system to do this. It wouldn't work if I left the phone in the car but I never do that anyway. To release the geofence I have to get in to the phone & that needs my fingerprint or facial recognition access. Also if the E-key is stolen I can disable it and just use my phone to start and drive the car.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

8 hours ago, old man emu said:

I think that the point of the video was to have a chuckle at the thieves, nothing more.

Looking at his other vids, I am not so sure it was... or if it was, he really needs to pasa at being a comedian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It is ironic that those fancy new batteries (and the older ones) are made from materials that have to be mined in vast quantities, often in countries with poor environmental standards. The Greens have flexed their principles to suit.

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Looking at his other vids, I am not so sure it was... or if it was, he really needs to pasa at being a comedian.

Yeah, he's a bit of a twit,but you have to remember he's a Pom.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, pmccarthy said:

It is ironic that those fancy new batteries (and the older ones) are made from materials that have to be mined in vast quantities, often in countries with poor environmental standards. The Greens have flexed their principles to suit.

Drilling for oil is not the environmentally friendliest of industries and of course, once you have burnt it it is gone forever.

The biggest miner of lithium in Australia.   Cobalt is the mineral that gets the most negative attention because a small proportion of it is mined in countries with poor standards.  This is an issue for many products and I believe cobalt is also required in the fuel refining process.  The amount of cobalt in batteries is rapidly decreasing.  Battery chemistries are also are also changing (LFP and sodium).

If we reach a point where the mining industry can no longer supply the required minerals then the products that use these minerals such as EVs phones computers etc. will begin to become expensive and these industries will either adapt or fail.  At least the minerals used in new tech are not destroyed and can be used again.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

F H

" incentives are needed " .

It appears to the ' low income ' people. 

That all these incentives are to keep those goodies

not for the economy but ) for the wealthy. 

Solar panels,  not for the country . Not for the Poor. 

If your power bill is below ( economising ) their $250/$350 level you don't get ' Free  Solar panels ' . & have to pay out of your own pocket .

RUDE

spacesailor

8 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

Solar panels,  not for the country .

Rooftop solar is lowering the wholesale price of electricity. 

Record rooftop solar output slashes wholesale electricity prices

12 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

If your power bill is below ( economising ) their $250/$350 level you don't get ' Free  Solar panels ' . & have to pay out of your own pocket .

I am not fully aware of how the solar subsidy schemes vary between NSW and Vic but I don't recall a minimum bill requirement. If this is true you perhaps need a few high usage quarters to qualify.   We certainly did not get "free solar panels" Our $10 system cost us $5.6k  But this has now well and truly paid for itself. 

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

Where are they ! .

Look at all those " state housing estates " , count the panels. 

On one hand .

It shows who has more roof panels  by the poorer v the wealthier suburbs . 

If we need to reduce our  usage. 

There should be no disincentive to having panels, only

Exceptance from the occupier. 

How many could fit onto my largess garage roof .more shade to make said shed, more humane for me to work in .

spacesailor

A reason for many houses not having solar panels is that they are rentals. Why would a landlord invest in installing solar panels simply to make life easier for tenants? I suppose that if a place was retrofitted with solar panels, the rent would join them on the roof.