Electric car thread

spenaroo

The same with ' little ' & ' big ' cars , the immovable 

Demolishes the lighter vehicle. 

Those small lightly built cars are squashed by a Mack truck. With little crush zone, ahead of the steering wheel. 

spacesailor

Mostly , all that energy has dispersed  into , then out the rear end of a small victim .

W hen a large truck failed to stop at the bottom of the hill on " old Windsor " road , it ran into & punctured a LPG

truck . We didn't know or see the crushed " Holden sedan " under that truck , untill someone saw the ' shiny ' chrome bumper .

spacesailor

Newton's balls ( or something like ),

The moving ball hits the stationary ball ,that does not movethe ball four iltem allows the row ,then moves ,

It then returns to start the sequence again, 

without the victim ball moving .

spacesailor

Newton's balls ( or something like ),

The moving ball hits the stationary ball ,

that does not move

the ball four items along the row ,then moves ,

( as if it was hit )

It then returns to start the sequence again, 

without the victim ball moving .

spacesailor

I have two questions about EVs:

1. People say that it is so quiet while driving in an EV. When I am driving along in my ICE, the only noise created by the vehicle is the noise of the tyres on the road. Even as I sit here at my desk, I can hear the tyre noise of vehicles passing by on the highway from close on a half kilometre away. Why wouldn't you hear the tyre noise while you are driving in an EV?

2. Power steering and air conditioning are standard features of modern cars. In my ICE, the pressure pumps which operate thee systems is driven via a belt system which connects the pumps to the crankshaft. How are these pumps operated in an EV?

At faster speeds tyre noise is indeed the major source of noise whatever the source of power.   At lower speeds, EVs are quieter.  In fact many in ,any areas sound generators (acoustic systems) are mandatory under a certain speed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_warning_sounds#:~:text=The vehicle must make a,a maximum of 75 dBA.    There are many complaints that at least at low speeds EVs are in fact too quiet.

Power steering.

https://www.vehicleservicepros.com/service-repair/article/53084009/the-rise-of-electric-power-steering

This is done electrically and indeed is increasingly being utilized in IC vehicles.

With the widespread use of Electric Power Steering (EPS) systems in recent years, the automotive industry has undergone a substantial upheaval. These systems provide better fuel efficiency, improved driving, increased reliability, and have almost completely replaced the conventional hydraulic power steering systems on most vehicles.

Air con in an EV is an electrically operated heat pump. the Tesla aircon uses between 1 and 3 Kw.  Nothing beats being out on a hot day with the car parked in the sum and being able to turn on the cooling 30 minutes before having to get in the car.

• Like 1

Not having the power steering pump and the A/C compressor driven by the crankshaft would really improve a vehicle's fuel economy. I know that when the weather doesn't require the use of the A/C in my car, the range I can get from a full tank increases significantly. Isn't that one of the reasons we all pulled of the original radiator fan and bolted on electric ones?

8 minutes ago, old man emu said:

one of the reasons we all pulled of the original radiator fan and bolted on electric ones

Not only a power saving but very handy in traffic when stopped for extended times.