Housing Shortage

red750

It was an act of bastardry on the part of every Australian politician who supported it, and ranks as treasonous - and the decision, and the removal of the sole barrier to private banks greed, has cost every Australian dearly.

Read up on King O'Malleys reasons and arguments for setting up the Commonwealth Bank, it was because he'd seen the rancorous unparalleled greed of American banks at work in the late 1800's.

The Govt-owned Commonwealth Bank returned a huge amount of profits over the 80+ years of its operations, and was a greatly stabilising financial force for Australia's economy throughout the Great Depression and WW2.

Of course the economists would agree with its sale, all the economists have been bred up by the private banking organisations, and when has an economist ever been right?

This is the same coterie of cossetted bank-backed, out-of-touch people, who agreed with Keynes that, "(gold and) the gold standard is a barbarous relic that has no place in a modern economy".

As the old saying went in the 1960's, 300 economists agreed with this statement, but they only had to convince 3 billion other people on the planet, that they were right.

The floating of currencies is the greatest scammy pea-and thimble trick, ever played on the worlds unsuspecting people. It's like having weights and measures that vary every time you get to the till.

On 13/02/2024 at 11:43 PM, Bruce Tuncks said:

I gotta tell this story for Jerry. In England, this old lady went to her local to get her regular bottle of sherry. The new young girl refused to sell to her without "proof of age" in case they would get convicted for selling to the underaged.Now the old lady (who was over 80), had neither a driving license nor a passport. The manager backed up the girl, and the old lady went home bereft. I reckon the wokes have gone too far.

OK.. I did find the article in reference to this one, but can't find it now. A search yields a few articles about similar events. They are very rare. Here is an example: https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1144654.pensioner-refused-bottle-sherry-age-row/

Note, the checkout operatoir was just doing her job as she was asked. The article I originally found was of the same chain (Morrisons is probably the smallest of the large supermarket chains here). In the article of the lady in question, it was also a Morrisons, and the firms said they implemented the new rule as there were illegal sales of alcohol. OK.. anyone can see they are over 18, but the young shop assistant and the manager were doing the job they were asked to. The company formed the rule to protect against losing their licence to selling drinks to underage.. Sort of the Aussie way - it only takes one idiot to ruin it for the rest.. I hardly would call this woke, even in it's insulting definition. I would say an overly zealous implementation of a company rule, and being stupidly stubborn about it.

There is a Morrisons near me and I have puchased alcohol from it over the years, and they have never asked me for ID.. Maybe I look over 100.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, facthunter said:

Trusts tend to draw the Crabs (as they should).  nev

I am not quite sure I know that this means.. Trusts were designed to keep the wealthy, wealthy, and keep the wealth from being redistributed to the commoners.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1144654.pensioner-refused-bottle-sherry-age-row/

Note, the checkout operatoir was just doing her job as she was asked. The article I originally found was of the same chain (Morrisons is probably the smallest of the large supermarket chains here). In the article of the lady in question, it was also a Morrisons, and the firms said they implemented the new rule as there were illegal sales of alcohol. OK.. anyone can see they are over 18, but the young shop assistant and the manager were doing the job they were asked to. The company formed the rule to protect against losing their licence to selling drinks to underage.. Sort of the Aussie way - it only takes one idiot to ruin it for the rest.. I hardly would call this woke, even in it's insulting definition. I would say an overly zealous implementation of a company rule, and being stupidly stubborn about it.

There is a Morrisons near me and I have puchased alcohol from it over the years, and they have never asked me for ID.. Maybe I look over 100.

Why complain about it - once a rule comes in, everyone gets accustomed to it. And going without the occassional discretionaly bottle of grog is not likely to do any harm.

Try buying a bottle of red in Northern Territory. You don't get served without showing your driver's licence  (or ID card). And they do not open until 2pm anyway.

It's the rules, mate. And it's not that hard.

Edited by nomadpete
  • Informative 1

Or the one about the guy in his 70's who went to buy a bottle of booze, and was asked for proof of age.

"Do I look underage?"

"No, I'm checking to see if you qualify for seniors discount."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, nomadpete said:

Why complain about it - once a rule comes in, everyone gets accustomed to it. And going without the occassional discretionaly bottle of grog is not likely to do any harm.

Try buying a bottle of red in Northern Territory. You don't get served without showing your driver's licence  (or ID card). And they do not open until 2pm anyway.

It's the rules, mate. And it's not that hard.

I wasn't complaining.. I was merely stating why it wasn;t woke and it was just a rule...

• Like 1

An 18 yo can & often do gain their drivers licence. 

A lot of ' elderly females '  have never driven a car . 

Nor used modern technology. 

My late mother couldn't use a TV remote .

Now , I seem to be going down that path .

because of this modern " language " on our technology. ( None English ) . 

Inverted 'V', Triangle , ◇ unknown , ○ , ¤ .

Should we Oldies be expected to know  

EVERYTHING

LOL ,yet again .

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Forgot to sign

23 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

I'll " complain "  .many elderly do not have " drivers licence ".

Nor formal ID Cards .

So to refuse an elderly person, is tantamount to Discrimination. 

spacesailor

Don't worry, the indigenous brothers in the queue all seemed to have one. No discrimination there!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, facthunter said:

NO 18  or under looks like us  so the ID is redundant..  Nev

Just pointing out that such restrictions come in for a reason (even if the reason is not particularly obvious to all) and quickly become the norm. They are not particularly onerous.

Dear old Dotty might need a helper to assist her obtaining a recognised proof of identity, but even if she didn't, It would not have starved her to death.

BTW my mother-in-law is in this category but it is not all that hard to organise.

• Informative 1

My wife never held a drivers licence due to an eye condition. She held a passport in her 20's, but looked nothing like the photo when she was in her 70's. It was a pain in the arse when she needed ID for things, like withdrawing money from her superannuation.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

8 hours ago, willedoo said:

I don't look at much Tasmanian real estate these days, but the few times I have, it looks like some prices have pulled back from the boom period. This 24 acre property at Upper Castra is on the market for $600,000. Two years ago, it would have had a price of $800,000+.

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-acreage+semi-rural-tas-upper+castra-144266784

Upper Castra? Never heard of it.   Up near Ulverstone somewhere by the looks of it.

• Like 1

I don't know what it is about that realestate.com.au site, but it refuses to open for me, and has done for over 6 mths.

I thought initially, last year, it was because I was still using that "utterly obsolete" Windows 7 - but I bought Windows 11, and it still won't open for me.

Edited by onetrack
  • Confused 1

Jerry, I don't get any error message, the site just simply refuses to load, it stays stuck on a blank screen.

I suspect there's a need to download the realestate.com.au app, to get their site to work. Not interested in doing that.

Edited by onetrack