The Random thought thread

spenaroo

I was watching the news on TV last night and a Victorian police spokesman was commenting on the mushroom poisoning case. He said there hasn't been another case, not only in Victoria but nation wide as well, that has generated this much public interest. I could name a few: Lindy Chamberlain, Peter Falconio, the Beaumont children, Donald Mackay.

Edit: here's his original quote - "I cannot think of another investigation that has generated this level of media and public interest, not only here in Victoria but also nationally and internationally."

Edited by willedoo
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

Let's face it. Albo and the rest of the pollies have as much control over all the factors of the Economy as you and me. Unfortunately, no politician is game enough to call it quits on the current rate of GST since the number of dollars going into Treasury increases with every rise in the price of a commodity. The stupid thing with inflation is that a 750 gm loaf of white bread has the same number of slices and the same number of calories whether it costs $2.33 or 13 cents /100 gms in 1999, or 63 cents/100 gms in 2023. *** Basic white Tip Top 700 gm loaf.

So you need a bit under five times as many cents now to obtain the same number of slices of bread as you did in 1999. The government got five times more cents for each loaf. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, red750 said:

We  can't blame the inflation rate on Airbus Albo. He hasn't been in the country long enough.

Yeah.. repairing all the damage to Australia the last mob inflicted.

I would not call Peter Costello and his mob,  allies of Labor, so this is interesting: https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/airbus-albo-take-that-bait-and-you-ve-been-played-like-a-trout-20231101-p5egud.html

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Are interest payment on loans subject to GST? Otherwise, higher interest rates tend to cost governments more with new borrowings...

Interest rates are generally set higher to rein in demand to drop inflation... or to boost the currency.. inflation results in higher government revenue due to increase on prices, but it is offset by the drop in the value of money and the government also having to pay more for things

Edited by Jerry_Atrick

26 minutes ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

interest payment on loans subject to GST?

When interest rates go up, everything gets more expensive. Pay more for goods, pay more GST. A loaf of bread $2.30 a couple of years ago, now $4.70. Even my el cheapo mineral water, 90c 12 months ago, now $1.20. It all adds up.

The Reserve Bank is an Independant body entirely. No government controls it.  Yes Higher Interest does put up costs but all capitalist countries do the same thing. Do you want out of control Inflation? Now that would really stuff it up for the People.  Record High Debt has a lot to do with the predicament many are in. Interest rates were Artificially low. They were NEVER going stay where they were..   Nev

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, red750 said:

We  can't blame the inflation rate on Airbus Albo. He hasn't been in the country long enough.

Oh, f*ck me.

I accidentally turned the dial to 767 or 936 or whatever it was today and heard the whiney sounds of Pauline Hanson saying the same thing. 

If you think you could walk that tightrope of keeping both China and the US happy, then go to the Pacific and face a bunch of angry leaders who think,  quite rightly,  that Australia is not doing enough about the climate change that is threatening their countries, then bloody well done, because I'm damn sure that I couldn't.  And neither could Pauline. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

would not call Peter Costello and his mob,  allies of Labor, so this is interesting: https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/airbus-albo-take-that-bait-and-you-ve-been-played-like-a-trout-20231101-p5egud.html

A very interesting article.

So for overseas trips as PM in the first year of office, we have:

- Kevin 747,  eleven trips

- All around the world Abbott,  eleven trips

- Don't bother unpacking your bags Scotty,  twelve trips

- Airbus Albo, eleven trips

So what's the big deal with Albo's trips? I guess for a conservative, Wingnut and Scotty's combined 23 trips were important trips in the national interest. But as for those other two bludgers - how dare they! Damn Lefties.

But the country needs them. Without all those dreaded Lefties lurking around every corner, all those idiotic chain emails wouldn't have a home to go to. And Sky would go broke.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I was listening to an interview on the wireless tonight where a couple of service station owners were talking about their businesses. The main emphasis was on the shop component where they sell convenience store type items, fast food, grocery items and some fresh produce. One of them was saying shop sales are at a point where they don't have to rely on the fuel sales anymore to keep them afloat.

The point was also made that due to the diversification of products offered, service stations are now taking on the role of the corner store of old, and that there's so many service stations now that for a lot of people, it's the closest store to them. I can see what they're on about, as the traditional corner stores are dying out in a lot of areas. So that's it in a changing world - the small corner stores are dying off and being replaced by service stations.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

They also talked about the ethnicity of a lot of service station operators these days. It must be political correctness but on the ABC radio they never mention the words India or Indian when they are speaking generally. It's always south Asia or some other non specific term. Those people are very hard working and inclined toward starting small businesses to get ahead. So here's a thought. Wind the clock back in time and if they were here then, a lot would have gone into operating those small corner stores. But in real time now, they're running the replacements of the corner store.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1