Photography.

red750

I've been going through some old photos and came across some of the last job I worked on before retiring. It was an exploration programme for Innaminka Petroleum at their Juniper field north of Innaminka. They were a small show with only about half a dozen wells producing. They had donkey pumps pumping the oil via small diameter pipelines to holding tanks. A semi used to come a couple of times a week to truck the oil away. The pumps would pump for a certain amount of time then shut down to allow the oil to accumulate in the underground pockets, so they weren't high volume producing wells.

This is a photo I took of the steel plate sign on a plugged and abandoned well there. The drilling companies erect these at every abandoned well if it's a fizzer.

An interpretation from the top line down:

Willowie No.1 - name of the well

Innaminka Pet - Innaminka Petroleum, the well owner

OD&E Rig 30   - the drilling company and name of rig, in this case Oil Drilling and Exploration, which was a Toowoomba based drilling company that operated big rigs.

Spud 7.9.2004 - Date the well drilling was commenced (spudded). Spudding is when the drill bit first hits the ground

P&A 29.9.2004 - Plugged and abandoned 29.9.2004, just over three weeks to drill

TD 2816m         - Total Depth 2816 metres

M.Bell - no idea who this bloke is. Could be the rig manager, the tool pusher, the driller or the mechanic welding the lettering.

P1030208.JPG

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Just now, pmccarthy said:

I had a school mate M.Bell who may have ended up out there. He grew up along the dog fence.

You never know, it could very well be him. A lot of people who grew up there ended up getting jobs in the oil industry. A fair percentage of our crews were ex ringers and station cooks. For a lot of them it was a no-brainer when they compared the wages.

This one is from the same place. I'm not sure of the story behind it, but there's no donkey pump on it and it has a pipe and valves connected. I'd have to assume it was a fairly new well with enough pressure to flow naturally.

13.JPG

• Informative 1

I'm posting this here because I don't want to distract any further from the topic on public transport. It's a PowerPoint show which should show without any special software. Click to advance.

I've talked about the car parking at Forest Hill Chase. I think the designers  planned a l-o-o-n-g way ahead. These photos were taken this afternoon about 4:30 pm. The first two are where you turn in off Canterbury Rd., and is sometimes a bit busier. Mid level is pretty much like this all the time. People sometimes park here and sleep in their car. Three Christmases ago, my kids gave me a small low-cost RC helicopter, which I practiced flying in this level of the car park. Nothing to hit but concrete pillars. I can walk a couple of thousand steps out of the heat or the rain without disturbance. I drive past the centre on my way home from the Men's Shed, and stop off to walk, three days a week.

Forest Hill Chase.ppsx

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, at least they gave their reasons. Photo selection is no doubt a bit arbitrary, depending on who's doing the assessment. Just read the article about the British-run global photo competition, they had 50,000 entries, and narrowed the finalists down to only 100. No doubt there were a lot brilliant photos rejected amongst that 50,000.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-08/wildlife-photographer-of-the-year-peoples-choice-win-polar-bear/103440814

• Like 1

I'm just learning how to use my camera at night. this 20 second exposure was from my front deck. And they said there was no aurora that night. Sadly, it wasn't bright enough to see with the naked eye. The camera doesn't lie (but it can exaggerate)  On the rare clear night, the stars are lovely.

DSC00326.JPG

• Like 3

I've been wanting to get a digital projector for my laptop, iphone, and DVD's for some time. Lots advertised on FB at prices from $100 to $1000+, usually in US currency. I had seen one at the Australia Post shop for $124.90 for some time. An Aus Post ad on FB on Monday had it marked down to $89.00. No postage, and no risky delivery. Picked it up yesterday. It will be handy when I want to show things to a group at the shed. It's a bit hard getting 12 - 14 people gathered around a laptop. Now I've got to learn how to use it.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...