Footy

willedoo

Back to the (AFL) Footy..

Hawks today (yesterday Aus time) suffered a schlacking by Sydney.. .81 points (13 goals 3pts). I watched the whole game.. it was like they turned up to watch and realised after the ball was near them they were supposed to play. And to Sydney, minus Lance Franklin, FFS!

So, after that, to console myself, I watched a rerun of the election count in NSW! 😉

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

I remember years ago, a mate (from Victoria) told me the first thing Rip Van Winkle said when he woke up was "Has Collingwood won the grand final yet?" Not knowing the game I assumed they'd had a dry spell for a while. Collingwood was his local team.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

This week is the "Gather Round" in AFL, where all games are played in South Australia - I think all Adelaide, but will have to check. I think it is a nice gesture to SA as they are very much a footy (AFL) state. Many Vics are going, but such is the rivaly, only a few are throught to be returning; the rest going into those famous pie floaters:

image.thumb.png.91e68d7ab87bf7af90bc71d190b673f7.png

Yummo.. they tell me.

Well, it has been a bit of a fall from grace for the Hawks.. Languishing at the bottom of the ladder with a percentage of just north of 52% and 3 out of the 4 games so far a complete schlacking... I may put off returning home another year 😉

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

After a couple of consecutive nights of cockroach squashing last night and tonight, Queensland is riding high with back to back Origin 1 wins in the men's and women's State of Origin series. They say women's rugby league is the fastest growing sport in Australia at the moment. This year is the first year where the women's Origin will be a best of two series; in the event of a draw, the winners will be decided by aggregate points for the two matches. The NSW women's team will have their work cut out for them in the second match, going into it with eight points the deficit and playing in Townsville. The way their sport is growing with match crowd numbers and TV viewers tuning in, I'd say there's a good chance next year will be a three match series in line with the men's competition.

• Agree 1

• 9 months later...

They were saying on the wireless this morning that 14,000 Australians have flown to the U.S. for today's NRL season start in Las Vegas. The crowd was expected to be 50 or 60 thousand. How many Americans go to the matches will be another thing. They also said there are around 100,000 Australians living in the U.S. which might boost the numbers of Australians attending.

Time will tell whether the NRL get a return on their money. They're hoping the matches will land them broadcasting and sports bet deals to broadcast Australian matches in the U.S.. Getting enough American viewers interested will be the challenge. On the plus side, Rugby League has a lot more in common with American football than does Australian Rules, so it might be more relatable over there. Some U.S. viewers might see a bit of novelty value in watching hard, physical contact football being played without helmets and padding. On the flip side, they might think we're showing their gridiron players up as a bunch of softies. It's all about money.

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

And they'll get two full games in the time it takes the Yanks to play most of one game.

I was in Canada years ago watching the Canadian football grand final on TV. Four minutes of play were left on the clock and I was still watching the game half an hour later. Stop/start, more talk than play.