Bureaucracy

willedoo

We only ate 'roo when other food ran out, or the money ran out! I don't find 'roo particularly tasty, and I will pass on the 'roo, to get to the much tastier lamb and beef cuts!!

It always amuses me how 'roo has become an exotic, over-priced food in some high-class restaurants, when in the old days, in the bush, it was often the only meat readily available, so you ate it!

Many families survived the Great Depression living on rabbits and possums. I've never tasted possum, and I can't imagine it would be particularly tasty - but rabbit is O.K. - provided it isn't being sold to me as "chicken" by some dodgy Asian or Indian eatery!! "Butter chicken" served here, is nearly always rabbit!!

• Like 3

The butcher in Alice Springs used to be called " harry the horse" which puzzled me as a naive kid. Anyway, one day this woman was gushing over the wonderful leg of lamb she ate last week. Harry apparently thought it was a good time to come clean....  " that was actually goat, madam" he said. She apparently went out the shop to the gutter and threw up.

Even as a naive kid I thought that was really silly. I would have no trouble eating goat. I have also eaten kangaroo and crocodile. The croc was a chicken-fishy tasting white meat, I thought it would be ok in a curry but tasteless as a steak.

I remember watching the Australian Open one year and some noisy types in the crowd were holding up signs saying "Novak is Goat". I thought they might be Croatians putting shite on him and thought it was a bit rough calling him a goat. At the time I didn't know goat means greatest of all time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Informative 1

In reference to the OP, I finally got the registration renewal sorted out, and found out the minimum numbers of livestock requiring registration as a registered biosecurity entity (RBE), and property registration with a PIC. I assume it means property identification code. You can have up to 100 kept birds (including chooks) without having to register, but you must be registered if you own one cow, sheep, goat, pig, bison, buffalo, deer, alpaca, llama, horse, donkey, mule or zebra. You also need to register if you own one beehive. That's all they have listed under livestock; I guess fish would be covered somewhere else in the department. I haven't seen any zebras in our district.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

that's awful willedoo, in my time, we saw kids being given orphan lambs. Mary had one, it's fleece was white as snow.

Now the kids have to be registered livestock owners???

PS   Camels are not on the list....  the Rajah used to have a whole string of camels.

AND I have seen a swarm of bees alight on a random tree....  somebody needs to explain to those bees that they are breaking the law.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, old man emu said:

Mary had a little lamb.

Its fleece was black as charcoal.

And everywhere that Mary went,

Flames shot out its r-sole

My father used to tell s softer version:

Mary had a little lamb

Its fleece was black as soot

And everywhere that Mary went

Its sooty foot it put.

or  

Mary had a little lamb

Its fleece was white as snow

And everywhere that Mary went

The lamb was sure to go.

It followed her to school one day

and pissed upon the floor

The teacher said "Now take it out

Before it does some more."

Nev's right. Although the functioning of the bureaucracy can be amusing and/or frustrating, it's all about knowing the location and movements for biosecurity purposes. The most important part of it would be in case of an outbreak of Foot and Mouth, where all livestock in a designated area must be located and destroyed. F&M would devastate our domestic and export meat markets, and recently made it to our next door neighbours in Indonesia.

How the department registers people is a mystery to me. I never applied for registration or knew anything about it until I received registration confirmation with one cow listed. I can't see how it would be viable for department staff to drive roads spotting animals in paddocks to create their database. I was previously registered under the national livestock identification scheme, so maybe they cross referenced from the federal database.

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

PS   Camels are not on the list....  the Rajah used to have a whole string of camels.

Apologies Bruce, camels are on the list which reads 'alpacas, llamas or other animals from the Camelidae family'.

• Informative 1

The bureaucracy for bees is not onerous - we had a hive a couple of years ago, you have one person contacting you and they were always helpful in our case. 

Like the other diseases mentioned they just want to track things like verroa mite.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

• 11 months later...

Back to the story up near the start of the thread, about the Toodyay farmer and real estate agent, Tony Maddox - and his exercise of building a creek crossing on the driveway to his farming property without reference to, or consideration of the W.A. Aboriginal Heritage Act. He's been ordered to face trial over the offence against the Act.

Fortunately for Tony, he's been charged under the old (1972) Aboriginal Heritage Act, which the W.A. Govt reverted to, after massive outrage over their new, over-reaching Aboriginal Heritage Act of 2023 - which was canned immediately after it's introduction, thanks to the Statewide revolt against it - and the lack of consultation before it was drawn up and introduced. The old Act is pretty tame.

Of all the people he could engage as a defence lawyer, he's engaged Christian Porter to defend him. I guess Tony thinks engaging a high-powered legal name is going to help him, but in general, Porter is not viewed favourably now.

Tonys fancy creek crossing probably set him back about $50,000, but I'll wager the cost of defending himself will be a whole lot more than that!

I can't imagine he'd get any more than a modest fine for his transgression of the Act, and he might possibly have to apologise to a few local Noongar leaders.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-22/toodyay-man-on-trial-for-alleged-breach-of-heritage-laws/103486790

• Informative 2

I watched an interview with him. It seems that the local indigenous Elders thought that the Rainbow Serpent being upset was all malarky. The local indiginese raised no objections. It seems that it was a pen pusher in Perth who instigated the prosecution, without gaining any facts as to whether or not the causeway damages any traditional cultural assets. 

The thing that we don't have available to study is the actual indictment by which Maddox was charged. You have to remember that the Crown must prove every element of the indictment. I wonder how they will prove that Maddox's actions upset the Rainbow Serpent. I imaging that serving a subpoena upon the Serpent to compel attendance to give evidence will be somewhat problematical. I hope Maddox's case is not being heard at the same time as the Santos -v- Torres Strait Islanders matter as it could make it difficult for the Rainbow Serpent to appear in both at the same time.

• Haha 2
  • Informative 2

Every single development project by the White Colonising Invaders upsets the Rainbow Serpent. However, after negotiations and concessions, such as a few new Toyota 4WD's for the Noongars, the Rainbow Serpent seems to take a chill pill and settle down again. It's a steady but profitable circle for the Original Inhabitants.