Name that quote

ayavner

Fewer and Fewer of us David,. . .if this American university study is to be believed. . . .! 

[ATTACH=full]2676[/ATTACH]

( Jaysus ! in 2110, who the heck is going to repair all the airliner and Jabiru engines and all the foodmaking equipment at Pizza Huts and Maccy D's ? ? WE ARE ALL DOOMED I TELL YOU. . .DOOMED ! ! ! )

According to MENSA tests,. . .My two Daughters scored 128 and 122 respectively, whilst at their respective Universities. . ( Eldest first [35 today - Youngest - 33 August just gone ] which PROVES conclusively that they were conceived whilst I was working away. . . .( I scored so low that I wasn't allowed to take any tests. . .I said 'WHY NOT ?. . .they said that if I had an IQ higher than 42, I would Know the answer to that. . . . Barstards. . .)

Pretty sure that graph is false

Fewer and Fewer of us David,. . .if this American university study is to be believed. . . .! 

[ATTACH=full]2676[/ATTACH]

( Jaysus ! in 2110, who the heck is going to repair all the airliner and Jabiru engines and all the foodmaking equipment at Pizza Huts and Maccy D's ? ? WE ARE ALL DOOMED I TELL YOU. . .DOOMED ! ! ! )

According to MENSA tests,. . .My two Daughters scored 128 and 122 respectively, whilst at their respective Universities. . ( Eldest first [35 today - Youngest - 33 August just gone ] which PROVES conclusively that they were conceived whilst I was working away. . . .( I scored so low that I wasn't allowed to take any tests. . .I said 'WHY NOT ?. . .they said that if I had an IQ higher than 42, I would Know the answer to that. . . . Barstards. . .)

Flynn effect - Wikipedia

Could be a good dose of genetics in there OK.

Yep. They have four grandparents, so there's a 3:4 chance they missed me!

Interesting that I don't see much of myself in them, but some very noticeable attributes of my parents. I reckon lots of characteristics skip a generation or two.

Yep. They have four grandparents, so there's a 3:4 chance they missed me!Interesting that I don't see much of myself in them, but some very noticeable attributes of my parents. I reckon lots of characteristics skip a generation or two.

I can attest that this is true. My Grandad Walter, used to HATE anything which had Aniseed in it . ALSO When I first tried 'Masala' wine in OZ from the local drive in bottle shop ( in flagons ) it made me really ill. . .this is, I believe a kind of Vermouth, like Martini etc Nor could I stand Aniseed Balls lollies at school. . .My Dad thought that they were fine. . .weird that innit ? My Big Daughter's Fiancee Matt, who is of Greek stock, LOVES Ouzo. . .this stuff makes me retch.. . .can't stand it. . .Whether there is Aniseed in these drinks I do not know,. . BUT interestingly, I can think of no other foodstuffs that have had this effect upon me. . .Otherwise known as Phil the Dustbin. . .I eat / drink anything. . . .will try ANYTHING ONCE. . .

Yes they are called "throwbacks". Often manifested as a red head amongst a lot of non ranga's. I used to get red patches in my beard when they were fashionable, attributable to a touch of Scottish in my ancestry.

The French used to drink a thing called "Menthe a l eau" when I was there in the early 80's . It reckon it was to purge the diesel soot out of your upper respiratory system (probably translates as Menthol and water) Nev

• 11 months later...
Given the definition of IQ, I cannot see how the average IQ can decrease. It must be 100.

I thought that as well Yenn, but we're told average IQ scores have improved significantly over the century.

Rupert Sheldrake's explanation is that the "Morphic field" developed by repetition of the test is getting so strong that people are unconsciously tapping into that field and finding the test to be easier.

Those who tell us that average IQ scores have improved over the century, either have poor IQs or poor education, maybe both.

Are you serious, Yenn?

Those who administer them report that test scores have gradually and consistently improved over the century.

I presume the test has been scaled to take account of this. Several explanations have been proposed (apart from my favourite, from Sheldrake).

The Flynn effect is the substantial and long-sustained increase in both fluid and crystallized intelligence test scores that was measured in many parts of the world over the 20th Century. A 2017 survey of 75 experts in the field of intelligence research suggested four key causes of the Flynn effect: Better health, better nutrition, more and better education, and rising standards of living. Genetic changes were seen as not important.

According to Flynn, the ability to score high in IQ tests reflects the population's mental shift from dealing with those things that have immediate practical application to dealing with more "what if" ideas. That would reflect the effect of better education, and as of the start of the 21st Century, greater access to the accumulated knowledge of Mankind through the spread of the Internet.

My 6-year-old is watching Jurassic Park 3 at the moment. He can identify all of the dinosaurs in it. At 6 years old, I would have been hard pressed to distinguish a Common Garden skink from a Fence Skink.

All this talk of IQ, so I looked it up on Google and it is as I thought. I saw that I could do a Cambridge IQ test, so into it. Didn't seem a real good IQ test as some of the questions needed mathematical proficiency, and that is more education than intelligence. Anyway it came back and said impressive, just give name and email to get test score. I did that and now I know my IQ is not really high. I need to pay $19 to get the score. Or maybe my IQ is high because I am intelligent enough to not pay up.

I have done several IQ tests over the years and this one was all maths or picking the shape to correspond with all those shown. Not a fair indication of IQ, because it favours those who are good at Maths or seeing patterns.

• 1 year later...

Hasn't the intelligence quotient been replaced by the EQ - Emotional Quotient - more applicable to millenials, apparently..

EQ is quite a different thing and in many ways perhaps more important than IQ.

An interesting point is that those "millennials" statistically are likely to have a higher IQ than us older people.

Flynn effect - Wikipedia