News reports wrong again

red750

We are used to seeing news reports about aircraft icidents and accidents, and they are always "Cessnas".

The same with military stuff. Many reports about the shooting down of balloons or other "objects", stating that they were shot down by an F-16, and showing photos of F-22 or F-35's.

"Michigan Congressman Jack Bergman told Fox News the mysterious "octagonal" object was shot down by a US Air Force F-16 fighter jet."  - Reuters.

• Informative 1

Sorry blokes, when I wrote combat kill, I was being sarcastic, not serious. Since the first F-22 balloon shootdown, the aircraft has been the butt of a lot of jokes and memes. Like one that depicted a Raptor with one balloon and two UFO's painted on the side as kills.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, old man emu said:

During WWI, it counted as a kill if a pilot shot down a tethered observation balloon over the tranches. But I suppose  doing that while being shot at by ground fire does count as being in combat.

WW2 as well. A manned observation balloon directing artillery is a hostile enemy aircraft by any description.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, red750 said:

The Air Force May Have Actually Shot Down a Wholesome Ham Radio Balloon

Maybe good for a bit of Nah-Nahing, but what if "a silver mylar 32-inch sphere, carrying a GPS module, some basic computer and communications gear, and was powered by a solar panel with a payload of 4 pounds" went through the intake of your airliner's engine intake? 

Larger balloons require FAA clearance, but these little balloons circumvent that requirement. Guess, therefore, where the people who launch these come from. But Heaven help legislator's who trial to curtail those peoples "Rights". Better to destroy millions in aircraft components and endanger hundreds of lives than to remove a perceived "right to freedom of expression". Next thing the FBI will be raiding 5-year-olds' birthday parties to pop the decorations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spacesailor said:

What are the 'balloon bursting comps ' . ?

When I was a member, they would release meteorological balloons over Port Philip Bay, and we had to burst theeem within a period of time... Can't recall what it was.. It was a great way to hone flying skills (as was theree hands free (accurately should have been called control column free) circuits, flower bombing, and ribbon cutting comps..

• Informative 1