Blockies

Yenn

I see in today’s news that the shooting in Qld, near Chinchilla is caused by people living on blocks with no water or sewerage or power. They are second class citizens deprived of all the niceties of city living and supposedly missing out on everything good about city living. This is just because they are cheap to buy.

I have just sold my el cheap block for over half a million dollars, which is probably nearly as much as I earned in my working life.

Living on a block is far superior to town living, room to move, you don’t have to listen to neighbours and their dogs and kids on motorbikes roaring around the streets. You can supply your own tank water which is nowhere near as nasty tasting as town water. The kids can be brought up in a nice environment and there is the school bus for them.

I can not see what could cause people living that lifestyle to want to commit mass murder, but I can see that it is a great opportunity for so called experts to come up with a load of crap.

I have moved into sloburbia on Boyne Island and while I have water and sewerage I also have traffic noise, neighbours and it also seems hotter. The only plus is that I no longer have the maintenance, such as weed and fuel control. I don’t feel any need to go out and kill people any less than I did in the last 43 years living on a block.

• Like 2

Red has hit it on the head.. also a toxic love triangle, total domineer, if that is the word.. Used to gut wild pigs alive and make sure the local footy ground was reeking of the blood and guts.. Domestic violence, estranged from society despite being senior in schools in the education system. Clearly a few screws loose (in the metaphorical and not offensive context).. Maybe mental health intervention when people noticed things awy but thought it was none of their business may have helped. Lucky no kids were taken out in the whole thing. Not your average person looking for some solitude.

RIP the police officers and the neighbour. They didn't deserve it.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

This from the Sydney Morning Herald:

The couple at the centre of the Wieambilla shooting had posted videos online in the weeks leading up to, and night of, the fatal confrontation with police on their regional Queensland property, in which they claimed to have killed the “devils” and “demons”.

A since-deleted YouTube account and alternative video hosting site feature details from the lives of Stacey and Gareth Train — along with his brother Nathaniel, who does not feature but is spoken about — weeks before Monday’s events.

In the most recent of the videos posted to the Mrs Yugi Girawil YouTube channel, published at 7.39pm on Monday, Gareth said: “They came to kill us and we killed them”.

“If you don’t defend yourself against these devils and demons you’re a coward,” Gareth says.

One of the accounts features the name Daniel, Gareth’s middle name. The pair refer to themselves as Daniel and Jane in the videos. Jane was Stacey’s middle name.

All three were shot and killed by police after what has been described as an “ambush” killing of two of the four officers sent to the property — constables Matthew Arnold and Rachel McCrow — about 4.30pm in response to a NSW police missing person report for Nathaniel.

Neighbour Alan Dare was also shot dead after going to investigate the hours-long siege.

1 hour ago, Yenn said:

I see in today’s news that the shooting in Qld, near Chinchilla is caused by people living on blocks with no water or sewerage or power. They are second class citizens deprived of all the niceties of city living and supposedly missing out on everything good about city living. ..

I’d suggest being brought up with extreme religion and their exposure to American-sourced “the guvmint is coming to get you” crap is to blame. Australians (including our governments) import too much of the worst that the USA has to offer.

1 hour ago, Yenn said:

Living on a block is far superior to town living, room to move, you don’t have to listen to neighbours and their dogs and kids on motorbikes roaring around the streets. You can supply your own tank water which is nowhere near as nasty tasting as town water. The kids can be brought up in a nice environment and there is the school bus for them...

Totally agree, Yenn. That’s what we did. Bought a cheap, eroded block to rehabilitate. Installed septic and own own water supply for the price of a new car. Built our own home based on the sustainability trends of the 80’s. 

Don’t agree about the noisy motorbikes; there are now lots more blocks near us and the first thing the new owners do, even before building a house, is buy their kids lots of noisy dirty bikes…

• Like 3

Giving kids brand-new bikes may be the problem. They get flogged for a few months then discarded.

Like many of us old farts on here, they’d derive greater benefit if they’d had to buy well-used bikes with money they’d earned. Instead of spending their waking hours torturing the retired couples next door, they’d be learning to the repair and maintain the bloody things!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Will, I know the area and generally agree with your comments.

Except I wouldn't really call it 'timbered'.  The parched soil devoid of topsoil out that way, only grows straggly stunted stuff.

It is country where a true treehugger wouldn't find a real tree to love.

Edited by nomadpete
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

I doubt that area is ' residential ' ! .

More likr ' rural ' as in subdivided farms .

My ' low density housing  area ' is the proverbial  1/4 acre block .

High density  is a mass of ' high rise flats ' ! .

THE FUTURE GHETTOS .

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Spelling
  • Like 2

Geez, the story gets better and better now, as the information trickles out. Now a farmer near the NSW/QLD border has reported that Nathaniel Train busted through the closed NSW border last December in his 200 series Landcruiser.

He tried to ram the 'Cruiser through the locked gates, and when that failed, he produced an angle grinder and cut the lock and drove through. Then he ran into sections of flooded road at speed and basically killed the 'Cruiser engine.

So then Train jumped out of the 'Cruiser and started dumping firearms and knives in the floodwaters - loaded firearms, too. Then when the farmer towed his 'Cruiser into his yard, Train borrowed his phone and started speaking to someone in "code".

The farmer dropped Nathaniel Train about 6 kms up the road, where he was picked up by someone else. After he'd gone, the farmer found documentation about Train thrown into the floodwaters - including his work history.

The farmer was so concerned about the "sketchiness" of Train, he rang the Police and asked if the 'Cruiser was stolen. It sounds like he never mentioned all the guns and knives. He did mention the border-busting effort.

The Police weren't interested, because the 'Cruiser wasn't stolen - and apparently it's O.K. to bust through a closed border using an angle grinder, and to transport large quantities of (almost certainly illegal) firearms across the border. 

This whole episode demands a Commission of Inquiry into how the QLD Police have been so incompetent from start to finish, in this whole sorry disaster. I thought the W.A. Police were pretty incompetent, it looks like the QLD Police are even worse.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-17/qld-police-shooting-nathaniel-train-rammed-border-dumped-guns/101783696

Edited by onetrack
  • Informative 3
  • Sad 1

At 2 am Sunday, police guarding the site of the police shootings caught two local men, 23 and 25, looting motorbikes from the property. They had parked down the road, walked through bush and were pushing the bikes back to their vehicle when captured. 

The two alleged looters have both been charged with with one count each of unlawful trespass, stealing by looting and two counts of supply dangerous drug (cannabis) in unrelated matters.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1