Gay conversion therapy

Bruce Tuncks

I just read that this is still legal in some backward places in Australia.

Sorry for the italics...  dunno how the button got pressed.

Anyway, why can't the perverted "christians" who wish to persecute gays just have a party in celebration of how they drove Turing to suicide?

Turing was arguably the most important person in the defeat of Hitler, being the inventor of the modern computer. They sure used those computers well in cracking German codes.

I had a mate who had to take estrogen pills as part of a chemo cocktail. He said that these pills made him feel suicidal, as he looked at the big ads for testosterone treatment in the Sunday papers. The estrogen pills did the opposite of the benefits touted in the ads.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Minorities are easy targets so going by majority vote could be very unfair. There's always been people who don't identify with the Black or white answer. Any search I've done shows a pretty constant % back in recorded history of non  heteros.  An Inclusive and FAIR society has a high degree of tolerance. We used to burn witches and still stone people to death. IF we all have to be and think the same it's not much of a show.. What's between your ears is more important than what's between your legs.  Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I have known a number of gay people, co-workers, and co-worker friends of my wife. Nice enough people, but their lifestyle is not for me, not that I have any lifestyle now. What they do on their side of the fence is their business. It's the pushy ones that irritate me. I don't like it rubbed in my face.

This woke equality rubbish annoys me. There are no boys and girls born at Box Hill Hospital any more. They are just 'child'.

Even the emails from my Men's Shed Co-ordinator are signed off using the company dictated "he/him/them/they". There is at least one Men's Shed that has changed it's name to Woodwork Shed.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

It is asserted that the Catholic church was established as a haven of gay men. Apparently, in those times, it was socially repugnant not to be married by about the age of 14 (to a partner of the opposite sex), so a church was created with the vow of chastity as a place where homosexuals could join and not become pariahs of society...  An article that touches on it is here https://slate.com/human-interest/2017/04/how-the-catholic-priesthood-became-a-haven-for-many-gay-men.html

How ironic that religions advocate against homosexuality.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

The Holy See is not a Member of the U.N. - but it was granted "permanent observer state status" in 1964. What puzzles me is Wikipedia says from this position, the Holy See "has been able to influence the decisions and recommendations of the United Nations"??

I would have thought, as an observer, they wouldn't be able to influence anything? - and that they needed to be a Member State, to be able to vote and influence the decision-making of the U.N.?

Stranger than strange, and indicative of how much Church power is hidden, but highly influential. I think Ian Paisleys daughter had the best description of the Roman Catholic Church - "an authoritorian regime".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_See_and_the_United_Nations#:~:text=The Holy See is not,status on 6 April 1964.

• Like 1

I quite like the Catholics I know. I always admired them for sending nuns out to ask you why you didn't go to church on Sunday.  So, in Alice Springs, the catholics were so busy  on Sunday that they used a hall for their church. Now the nuns wore habits in those days and they went around in pairs. They didn't actually tell off the non-church-goers, instead they asked after the health of those missing in action. But the whole town knew that if you were Catholic then you had to go to church.

As for us kids, we felt sorry for the Catholic kids because the senior sister at the school had a mental health problem which caused her to over-use the electric flex she hit the kids with.

We were supposed to hate the catholic kids but we never did. In religious instruction, we were told how bad they were by anglicans who had as much if not more to be ashamed of. Gosh, I wonder to this day just who made me an unbeliever.

I think it was the story about the first ( brave) guy who went into print doubting that there was a good and loving god in charge. It was after a church in Spain had exploded, killing  hundreds of faithful. Apparently the army stored their gunpowder in the church cellars and when a thunderstorm approached, all the villagers went to the church to pray for salvation. Well a church is on a hill, which means the cellars are dry. I remember thinking that a smart god would never hit that church with a lightning bolt.

So this guy wrote his opinion and published it on a single sheet. He was sued by the anglicans for blasphemy or something, and while he was in prison, his daughter starved.

• Informative 1

This might be it.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-17/christian-lobby-weighs-in-on-tas-gay-conversion-therapy-ban/101244570

Summary:  Tasmanian government is finally talking about pulling its finger out and outlawing this barbaric practice.  Australian Christian Lobby (ACL), as usual with their head up their arse and thinking it's still the 15th century, oppose this ban.

Edited by Marty_d
  • Like 2

Red is close to my opinion on the matter...  I don't like to be harassed or preached at and would allow minorities their freedom to do what they like as long as they don't bother others.  I see the religious right as the main culprits here, as they seem to want to persecute others. I reckon it is these people who want to continue with persecuting gays.

This 'woke' mentality has certainly messed with the English language. You sometimes see a sentance like "Mary came in and took off his bra."

Is the author confused about the female pronoun (should be 'her bra'), is Mary a cross-dresser with male genitalia, or did Mary come in and find her husband wearing her underwear?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It's a pretty contentious process, especially in 'curing" homosexuality as an evil act.. Perhaps compare it to exorcism. There's nothing new in all this. That's the problem. ARE we reverting to an age we should be moving away from to a more enlightened and tolerant one?  Nev

• Like 2

It's quite ridiculous.  Homosexuality has been around forever, it's not a new fad or a lifestyle choice.  Greeks and Romans were quite accepting of people's sexuality and treated each other no differently based on it.  Yet somehow these morons think they can "pray the gay away".  

• Like 4

Homosexuality is quite common across animal species.

Years ago a radio doco explained the evolutionary advantages for humans of having a few gay members.

About one in twelve males have no interest in sex with females; which bloke will your hunting party trust to stay and guard the women?

Once again religious faith blinds people to the realities of life. If other ancient cultures tolerated homosexuality, why not the Hebrews? Perhaps it was because gay men are far most likely to be inventive, artistic and creative: just the sort of people to threaten the hold on power of a bunch of nomadic sheep shaggers. 

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

I read somewhere that most Jewish males were well and truly married by the age of 33, so either Jesus was married (there goes your whole priestly celibacy thing, catholic church) or there's a fair chance he was gay.  That'd blow the tiny little minds of the redneck god botherers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 20/07/2022 at 11:57 AM, Marty_d said:

I read somewhere that most Jewish males were well and truly married by the age of 33, so either Jesus was married (there goes your whole priestly celibacy thing, catholic church) or there's a fair chance he was gay.  That'd blow the tiny little minds of the redneck god botherers.

I guess most Jewish males are well and truly married by 33, but from what I heard about why the Catholic church was a haven for homosexuals - because if you weren't married at around 14 - 16, you were considered abnormal, and this allowed gay men to hide their alledged abnomality, I would have thought Jewish males would be in the same boat.

According to Wikipedia (that fount of all knoweldge): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_views_on_marriage

Which has the following

Age of marriage

Citing the primacy of the divine command given in Genesis 1:28, the time between puberty and age twenty has been considered the ideal time for men and women to be wed in traditional Jewish thought. Some rabbis have gone further to commend the age of eighteen as most ideal, while others have advocated for the time immediately following puberty, closer to the age of fourteen, essentially "as early in life as possible."[69] Babylonian rabbis understood marriage as God's means of keeping male sexuality from going out of control, so they advocated for early marriage to prevent men from succumbing to temptation in their youth.[70] Some commended early marriage for its benefits: Rabbi Ḥisda maintained that early marriage could lead to increased intelligence.[69]

A large age gap between spouses, in either direction, is advised against as unwise.[71] A younger woman marrying a significantly older man however is especially problematic: marrying one's young daughter to an old man was declared as reprehensible as forcing her into prostitution.[72] Moreover, it is problematic for an older man to be unmarried in the first place. Marriage is held to be uniquely mandatory for men, and an unmarried man over the age of twenty is considered "cursed by God Himself."[69]

There is evidence however that in some communities males did not marry until "thirty or older."[73] In medieval Jewish Ashkenazi communities, women continued to be married young.[74] Since the Enlightenment, young marriage has become rarer among Jewish communities.[75]

The last paragraph does, I guess give credence to what you are saying. You learn a new thing every day!

• Informative 1

On 19/07/2022 at 10:41 AM, red750 said:

This 'woke' mentality has certainly messed with the English language.

Medicare amended one of its forms from 'Mother' to 'Birthing Parent' to appease these ratbags. Bill Shorten jumped on them and made them change back.

This photo will soon be labelled "Shaking their left foot".

223884428_shakehands.thumb.jpg.cf5adb1f34cf09920f309afdbb618975.jpg

So they are offended by the gender stereotyping and lack of inclusion. Who gives a rats. I, and 95% of the rest of us, are offended by their idiocy. Be different if they want, but don't foist it on the rest of us.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1