Control of Human reproduction - what a dilemma.

old man emu

I support a woman's right to go through a pregnancy, or not. I support a bloke's right to get snipped, or not.

But you have to feel so sorry for a woman who desperately wants to conceive, but is physiologically unable to. What must be going through her mind when she sees women fighting for something they as individuals want, but she can't even think about such a decision?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The technology with IVF and other fertility treatments have developed over the years, and can give a good chance for; there are conditions it cannot overcome, and of course, it may not work anyway: https://fertilityfoundation.org/ivf-failure-why-did-my-ivf-cycle-fail/

We have friends who suffered the heatbreak of many fertility treatments before turning to IVF. Sadly, when things don't go right with the natural way, there was a process of incrementally trying various treatments, before finally biting the bullet on IVF. They finally conceived after I think 6 tries on IVF. The heartbreak of each failure - and each step on the way to IVF - especially for the wife - was sad to watch.

The infertility may be with the male, of which I would guess would have a negative impact on, but is rarely discussed in open.

There are, however, other options, some of which will depend on who is having fertility problems. Of course, it will be difficult to move to these when IVF and other fertility treatments fail. Adoption is the obvious one; surrogacy (of which is a real export industry in Ukraine) is another. For men who have oligospermia (low sperm count) or azoospermia (no sperm), then there is sperm donation, although there is a ISTR recently reading there are moves to try and overhaul that industry including removing the veil of anonymity, which may have an impact on supply.

My daughter has problems producing good eggs, then getting them to implant. Her husband has been snipped. This time she's trying with both donated eggs and sperm. 

Perhaps  women are putting career before all else and paying teh price for it. But that still doesn't ease the heartbreak.

• Sad 1

If your offspring doesn't produce Enough of your species. 

Your government Will fill that void withh other species, even to your detriment.

Look at Fiji !, it took a revolt of the tribal chiefs to bring their government to bow to Fiji,s need.

It doesn,t take long before those immigrants get enough power to become your countries leaders.

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Spellchecker

Just now, spacesailor said:

If your offspring doesn't produce Enough of your species. 

Your government Will fill that void withh other species, even to your detriment.

Look at Fiji !, it took a revolt of the tribal chiefs to bring their government to bow to Fiji,s need.

It doesn,t take long before those immigrants to get enough power to become your countries leaders.

spacesailor

We're all the same species Spacey!

12 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

I don't like how they all seem to ignore the risks associated with being born in 2023.

What about the risks of 1933 - Depression; 1943 - World War; 1953 - Cold War;  1963 - Beatlemania; 1973 -  Oil Crisis;  2003 - Islamic Terrorism? We seem to have reproduced our way through those.

But I wasn't aiming to raise a political point. I was trying to be sympathetic to those women for whom Nature has deprived of a gift, yet have to look on as other women fight for the right to throw that gift away, and even the deprived might feel the need to be supportive of that fight due to empathy.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

You sure need an optimistic view of the future to encourage more kids to be born. Personally, I have a pessimistic view.

Global warming, resource depletion and overpopulation have no solutions in sight but you need to solve them ALL for kids born now to have a fair go.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I reckon my generation had it best. Food has been so cheap it was almost free all my life.

I have no idea of what hunger feels like and the only trouble I have ever had with food was not eating enough to make the cook happy.

I think that we are the first generation in history for this to be the case, and I see early signs that this time of plenty is coming to an end.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Don't know how I did it, but I seem to have found the answer. Don't ask me what it is, but I have three kids, all in their 40's, no marriages, no relationships, no prospect of grandkids, and as far as I know, not in the alphabet crowd. There has been no indication.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

red750

You never know how life gets in the way.

Your kids could have a secret child, or two, hiding in the bushes !.

Do you Want, to borrow a few grandkids !, as lv,e Heaps. LoL

spacesailor

PS. There,s a secret that seldom gets spoken! .

When you become ' grandparents ' you babysit them.

When you become  great,grandparents.

You are left ALONE, As your kids are doing the ' baby sitting  '. So you are not needed & it feels like " not wanted ".

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1

So true about great grandchildren. Mine live over 1000km away, so I only get to see them about once a year except when covid steps in and the one coming up to 14 years I haven't seen for a couple of years. The way they develope I am afraid I could be a great great grandparent in a couple of years.

One big fear now has to be the risk of nuclear war as we have seen several nuclear powers being run by clowns.

Food is also becoming a problem, even for those countries which produce excess food, because the starving countries will push up the price and reduce the availability.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1