Brain Teaser

red750

53 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

I. DID Not know G= 9.8 m s.

So PI Always = 3.14 .

G, being irrelevant.

Wasn't G a unit of atmospheric weight . 

Or 

Weights put on wings to give the ' wing load factor  '  6G X 5G .

spacesailor

spacey, G or big G is a different thing, gravitational constant. Little g=9.8 m/s which is the standard value of gravitational acceleration. In a vacuum, any body regardless of mass in free fall will accelerate by that amount every second.

• Agree 2

A few years ago, I was trying to find out an approximate descent speed of a pilot strapped into an ejection seat with the drogue chute deployed, before seat separation. I contacted a bloke I knew in the US who was ex Air Force and had an extensive seat collection as well as being a recreational parachutist. He emailed me back and said that he had restored a seat to working condition and tested it out. His parachutist mates chucked him out of an aircraft strapped to the ejection seat and a few of them freefell down beside him as a safety measure in case anything went wrong.

He told me that his mates were freefalling about the same pace as he was descending and that would have been in the range of 120 -150mph. I think 150mph freefall is a head down speed and flat, belly down averages 120mph. So he would have been descending in the ejection seat at approximately 200kph.. It would be interesting to know the terminal velocity of the pilot + seat without the small drogue chute deployed.

I think he just wanted the experience combined with curiosity to see the automatic seat systems work in sequence. I never got round to asking him any details of the experiment. I would assume they had a seat recovery chute set up so that the seat would get minimal damage on landing. He's a bit of a thrill seeker but probably not as bad as his day job these days as a New York City motorcycle cop.

• Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...