Brain Teaser

red750

The problem lies in the number of company names listed that no longer exist in their original form.

WABCO was owned by the Westinghouse Air Brake Co, who bought the LeTourneau earthmover manufacturing operation in 1953. All the Le Tourneau equipment was initially renamed Le-Tourneau-Westinghouse, then it was renamed WABCO equipment in 1968.

What happened in 1968, was the U.S. company American Standard purchased the parent company, Westinghouse Air Brake Co, so American Standard placed the LeTourneau-Westinghouse brand under a subsidiary named The Industrial & Construction Products Division of American Standard.  American Standard renamed the LeT-W operations, WABCO Equipment - and Wabco Australia operated as a separate entity. 

In 1983, American Standards construction equipment operations fell away to disastrous levels of sales due to the worldwide recession of the early 1980's. A-S closed several manufacturing plants in the U.S., and the final straw was when Komatsu Japan did a "commodity swap" deal with Russia, exchanging 222 x 120-ton Komatsu dump trucks for supplies of Russian coal, thus wrecking any chance of WABCO surviving.

A-S sold the WABCO manufacturing operations to Dresser Inc of the U.S. in 1984 - but not the WABCO name. The company WABCO Australia was dissolved, and all WABCO equipment was renamed Dresser.

The Euclid and Terex companies are tied together in a book-filling array of mergers, takeovers, buyouts and name changes that would test anyones memory. Perhaps the site below is the best source for outlining the Euclid-Terex ownership/operations wrangling.

https://www.constructionequipment.com/topical/historical-equipment/article/10748337/the-tangled-web-of-euclid-and-terex-truck-history

Caterpillar still operates the same as it always has - perhaps the greatest change at Caterpillar was in 1986, when it changed its name (and direction) from the Caterpillar Tractor Co (and which manufactured 98% of it's named products), to Caterpillar Inc.

Caterpillar Inc. set out on an acquisition trail and built itself up on the basis of buying established manufacturers and often renaming them as Caterpillar products, or at best, Caterpillar subsidiaries.

Caterpillar now own a vast array of manufacturing names and products, from energy generation to ships engines to even the smallest item of construction equipment. They also sell a vast array of "branded" merchandise.

Scania have never deviated from truck and bus and engine manufacturing, apart from the period between 1969 and 1995, when they merged with Saab. In 1995, a demerger occurred between Scania and Saab and the company went back to the simple Scania AB name. Both Volvo and MAN made aborted takeover attempts for Scania, in 1999 and 2007 respectively. Both takeovers were cruelled by the EU as being monopolistic.

VW sneakily acquired shareholdings in Scania by purchasing, first, Volvos shares, then another major shareholders shares, over the period from 2000 to 2008, when Scania then became a division of VW.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

Correct onetrack.

The Beechcraft Denali, also known as the Model 220 and previously the Cessna Denali and Textron "Single Engine Turboprop" (SETP), is an American single engine turboprop aircraft under development by Textron Aviation.

BeechcraftDenali01.thumb.jpg.56bcf0db76bc4710de9d8b678eea727f.jpg

• Like 1

RED, there's a big variation in which sector of aviation we operate and where our primary interest is Executive pressurised turbo prop is not a priority for the likes of us relatively impoverished financially stressed, addicted participants.  Nev

These days It would certainly help you to know what plane you'd fly in  and who made it these days. OWNING a Plane is a giant step for the ordinary person. . Flying in them ( BIG ones in RPT) is cheaper than any other form of travel. So your analogy doesn't fit.  Nev

Edited by facthunter

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill with that one.. Discussing is OK. Cheap and safe is our aim here. The rest is secondary. To build more and get younger people in would be the aim.. LONG TERM. . It's a matter of balance. Nev

re the periscope question. I thought willidoo may have had the answer. 

The aircraft I refer to is the MiG 29 trainer. The rear instructors seat is set too low for him to see over the students head for a view of the runway. So there is a pop-up mirror, which reflects onto a second mirror at instrument panel level, so he can see the runway.

MiG29periscope.thumb.jpg.0619620174ad862d008c628ed522892e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

1 hour ago, red750 said:

re the periscope question. I thought willidoo may have had the answer. 

The aircraft I refer to is the MiG 29 trainer.

I should know that, but I didn't off the top of my head. I've got a reprint of the Luftwaffe flight manual written in English that covers the MiG-29UB trainer and the single seat versions as well. Might be time to re-read it.

• Like 1

The old UTI MiG-15 trainer had better vision for the instructor, as they can get a reasonable view either side of the student. They used the UTI MiG-15 for a lot of years as the 17 and 19 never had two seat trainer versions. The next two seat trainers were the Mig-21U and then the MiG-29UB.

• Informative 1