Brain Teaser

red750

Actually, it was a knowledge question. I was prompted by seeing reference to a film called "Paint Drying",  a British film which ran for 10 hours and 7 minutes, and showed a brick wall painted white, while the paint dried. The purpose of the film was to force the Census Board to watch it in order to give it an age rating.

However when I did a web search for 'longest film', I discovered there were longer films. There can be different answers to this question depending on what source you consult. 

Guinness World Records says the longest film ever made is "The Cure for Insomnia" released in 1987. The 85-hour experimental film was directed by John Henry Timmis IV. It was played in its entirety Jan. 31 to Feb. 3, 1987 at the The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, according to Guinness World Records. 

The film does not have a distinct plot and features "L.D. Groban reciting his own poem of 4,080 pages, interspliced with X-rated film footage and rock music videos," according to IMDb. 

However, IMDb cites "Logistics," directed by Daniel Andersson and Erika Magnusson as the longest film by running time. The Swedish film was released in 2012 and spans 857 hours, or 35 days and 17 hours. 

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1

I'd consider none of the above to rate as "movies" in the true sense of the word. More like art wank, specifically created to set a particular record, and massage the film makers ego, with no other worthwhile value.

I'd consider worthy, entertaining films from genuine film makers, as proper entrants to the "longest movie" record. I would've thought one of the Cecil B. DeMille biblical movies would rate in the "longest movie" stakes, thinking perhaps "The Ten Commandments" (3 hrs 45 mins) - or "Cleopatra" at 3 hrs and 53 mins - but it appears "Gods and Generals" at 4 hrs and 31 mins would be the longest.

Edited by onetrack

Karma Chameleon.  Strangely enough the second time today that song has been mentioned (someone brought up "culture club" at work, and well, you can't think Culture Club without that song worming its way into your ears!)

Edited by Marty_d
  • Agree 1

Tran’s daughter is trying to guess his age. He tells her that when spelled out, the first digit has the same number of letters as its value. The second digit has half as many letters as its value. How old is Tran?

12 hours ago, red750 said:

Tran’s daughter is trying to guess his age. He tells her that when spelled out, the first digit has the same number of letters as its value. The second digit has half as many letters as its value. How old is Tran?