Covid-19... the upsides

Marty_d

Most tools today are unrepairable. The cost of the parts (if you can get any), plus the time taken to repair it, usually ends up a lot more than the cost of a new drill.

Perhaps the only exception is German-origin items such as Bosch. I have a Bosch 180mm angle grinder, it's a magical tool, with soft start and anti-kickback - but the switch packed up on it, and it's $90 just for the switch.

Fortunately, I have the skills to repair it, but if I had to pay anyone to install a new switch, it would probably run to a $180-$200 repair.

You cannot even get into a printer for example without breaking the case and modern cars are the same.

I haven't stripped one for quite a while (printer, that is). Last time it was all screws, but might need a hammer next time by the sound of it. I strip them for the step motors - very handy items for flight sim building.

" Must plug it in to a different socket, just in case its something else. "

It wouldn't work !.

SO

Pulled to pieces & cleaned, lots of Hair removed, ( I want all that hair back on my head ). removed Carbon-brushes, They had what looked like oil glaze on their face.

Cleaned all and mains test was successful.

So now I can shave my hairy face Again. LoL

spacesailor

• Like 2

I thought that maybe the shutting of the pokies may have an upside that people addicted to them would be forced to go cold turkey, but then I remembered online gambling.

The Federal group who owns all pokies here in Tassie wants pubs to keep paying rents for the machines despite being shut. If I were a pub owner I'd seriously consider removing all pokies and telling them where to shove them, but I'm guessing they signed some draconian agreement that forces them to keep the machines for years.

Money-hungry ar*seholes. Unfortunately they seem to own the state government so nothing will be done about this profiteering.

I got an email from The Star earlier this week with free online games and “credits” to play them, just so you don’t forget how to press mindlessly.

• Like 2

This is what NSW health said about the Ruby Princess. It seems that NSW health knew full well what could happen with a cruise ship and from this it appears that they just went blindly on letting a great load of infected people disembark. They say they did not need to do an assessment.

"The National Protocol states “provided there are no concerns about the COVID-19 risk profile of a ship or suspected COVID-19 cases reported, the human bio-security officer may advise the bio-security officer that pratique can be granted and the ship may be allowed to continue the voyage while samples are being tested”.

NSW Health undertook a full assessment of the Ruby Princess, notwithstanding under the National Protocol in place, it could have chosen not to do an assessment.

NSW Health again followed the National Protocol that states “the ship may be allowed to continue the voyage while samples are being tested”.

I reckon the police investigation is either going to have to be hidden away, or someone will have to be held accountable.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hand sanitiser:

I spend a lot of time in my workshop. I spend my time washing parts in petrochemicals; prepping for painting them by wiping down with acetone, getting various classes of glue on them. Then, so I don't get muck on my sandwiches, I wash my hands with laundry powder.

By the end of the day I'll bet that there are more human colonies on Mars than there are microbial colonies on my hands.

Why do I need my hands squirted with sanitiser so that I can go into Woolies?

• Haha 1

I always try and avoid laundry powder for washing greasy hands. I use Solvol, or workshop hand cleaner, and a nail brush. Laundry powder strips all the protective oils from your hands.

I try and use nitrile disposable gloves for the really greasy dirty work.