Covid-19... the upsides

Marty_d

This thread is titled Upside of this pandemic.

The only (sort of) upside that I can see, is this:-

Our governments (all) have clearly demonstrated to us how much we can rely on any of them to act first and foremost in the interests of the people. They had at least two months notice on how best to minimise the impact of the pandemic. Most thinking people saw the writing on the wall ages ago. But they all waited until their hands were virtually forced.

Maybe during our period of isolation we can start writing letters to our members, and try to encourage them to be more focused on the well being of the voters. Sadly it is a bipartisan ignorance so there is nothing to be gained by starting a party political debate. They are all in need of a big shake up.

• Thanks 2

Spacey - No camping in the deserts or remote parks, all National Parks and desert areas are all closed for the duration. All Aboriginal Lands are closed, no permits are being issued for travel through Aboriginal Lands.

https://www.northweststar.com.au/story/6694539/diamantina-shire-shuts-down-to-visitors/?cs=191

http://www.diamantina.qld.gov.au/documents/800087/41831681/020%20Media%20Release%20-%20Please%20don%27t%20visit.pdf

I think it's a bit of a fallacy to believe that anyone living under any kind of Govt, or authoritarian control, with extensive laws, regulations and rules, has "complete freedom" to do what they like.

This is an American belief that many think is true - but the "land of the free and the brave" has just as many restrictive laws, regulations and rules as we do here, and they do not have the "freedoms" they like to think they have.

The simple fact remains, we have an obligation to others to obey laws and regulations and rules that are set in place for the benefit of society as a whole, and to keep our societies civil and safe, and keep people feeling they have access to some methods and systems of redressing wrongs and grievances, and support to live in reasonable levels of peace.

"Traditional freedoms" only existed in the Wild West, where life was cheap, lawlessness abounded, firearms ruled, and it was a very tenuous and unhappy existence for most of the population.

Many people were killed for little reason in that era, and their killers often escaped justice for long periods of time. Even lawmen lived a tenuous existence, with ambush and sudden death, an everyday fact of life.

I've lived in a country where lawlessness abounded, where people were butchered wholesale, for no more reason than "backing the wrong side", and where you spent every minute of your wakefulness, day and night, expecting to be ambushed, bombed, mortared, shelled, or shot - and it's not a way of life that anyone would choose to get their "traditional freedoms".

• Like 2

On the positive side, I think it's great the way the largest percentage of the population, and many business people in particular are buckling down, obeying the COVID-19 rules and regulations, and finding ways to cope with, and adapt to, a vastly different operating arena to normal.

But there's still too high a percentage of people who are only paying lip service to the rules and regulations, and the requests to limit movement.

I had to go on a vital business trip to the Wheatbelt yesterday, a triangular trip starting from Perth and ending in Perth, and involving two major highways in W.A., the Gt Eastern and Gt Northern Hwys.

I was staggered at the traffic levels on those hwys, and the number of people towing caravans, obviously with holidaying in mind.

I'm puzzled as to what these people have planned. They are not welcome now in all rural and remote areas, supplies in those areas are being restricted to locals, all National Parks and Reserves are closed, and the State Govt has clearly advised that cancelling any holidaying is necessary, and attending any holiday destinations, even within the State, is out of the question.

At any given time there are thousands of wanderers on the road. Not all are grey nomads either. These are mostly 'long term tourists' and simply cannot instantly go home. No allowance has been made for them and they are trapped. All our caravan parks are closed. The borders are closed. Most are from interstate. What do you expect these travellers to do?

At any given time there are thousands of wanderers on the road. Not all are grey nomads either. These are mostly 'long term tourists' and simply cannot instantly go home. No allowance has been made for them and they are trapped. All our caravan parks are closed. The borders are closed. Most are from interstate. What do you expect these travellers to do?

It does not mean you can't cross at all

"SA Premier Steven Marshall said anyone entering the state would be subject to a mandatory 14-day isolation period. "

"WA Premier Mark McGowan asked tourists to cancel their holidays to the state or face self-isolation for 14 days. "

"Queensland’s borders will be closed at midnight on Wednesday in a bid to halt COVID-19 spreading across the state. It will mean people entering the state, particularly those returning from holiday or interstate travel, must isolate themselves for 14 days. "

The move has been widely described as a "border closure", but travel will still be permitted, albeit under very strict conditions.

The intent is to limit all non-essential travel between states.

On Sunday, the SA Government declared a "major emergency" and has established a dozen checkpoints where travellers will be stopped and required to sign a declaration about their health and ability to undertake mandatory self-isolation for two weeks.

What the border shutdown means for Queensland residents

The main restriction will be a 14-day isolation requirement, meaning anyone deemed to be a non-essential traveller will have to commit to self-quarantine, regardless of whether they are displaying symptoms.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-24/sa-shuts-down-borders-to-contain-coronavirus-spread/1208567

Every clound has a silver lining they say... My contract in London ended at the end of Feb. I decided (against SWMBO's wishes) not to look for work in London again, but look for something that would notquite bring in as much as London, but closer to home to be with the family every day, except the odd business trip. SWMBO was not happy at all as we are embarking on a reno to a Grade II listed house that is a renovator's delight.

First cloud - not having contract extended - and silver lining is that I am no longer in London during the week where I would be far more at risk of contracting the virus than here. My job could fall into essential services and it is one that due ti logistics and regulation, would require me to work in the office. Although, compared to others, I would be less at ris as I tend to take the earliest train in the morning and then later trains in the evening.

Second cloud - Coronavirus - has resulted in virtually drying up the contract market locally. Which means I get to spend even more time with the family; help SWMBO with dealign with teh kids; was around when our doggo passed and am able to take time to think about the next move... and save a bit on the reno by doing some things myself.. like watch paint dry ;-)

Of course, no money coming in is a concern, but for the moment not the end of the world. Unfortunately, I slip through the cracks of the government support package... but many of my colleagues on furlough do, too... so no complaints.

So, Octave, you don't see the problem. Most of Australian people live on the east coast. Many tourists start their great Aussie journey from the east coast.

So most of the travellers (regardless whether grey or not, international or local ) come from the east coast.

Having established that, after wandering the expanse of W.A. they are free to cross each border as long as they fulfill the 14 day isolation (in a caravan or tent). Remember, caravan parks and other campgrounds are closed, and some shops now only sell food to locals.

So, to return to their starting point they have two or 3 border crossings to do. Suddenly they have to add up to 6 weeks to their travel time. If they happen to be our valued international tourists, what chance for them to make it to their pre-booked flight home (which has probably been cancelled anyway.)

I'd call that trapped.

Even the retiree grey nomads might not have enough spare cash to do a 6week delayed rush home in time to do their 2 week isolation.

• Like 1

So, Octave, you don't see the problem. Most of Australian people live on the east coast. Many tourists start their great Aussie journey from the east coast.

So most of the travellers (regardless whether grey or not, international or local ) come from the east coast.

Having established that, after wandering the expanse of W.A. they are free to cross each border as long as they fulfill the 14 day isolation (in a caravan or tent). Remember, caravan parks and other campgrounds are closed.

So, to return to their starting point they have two or 3 border crossings to do. Suddenly they have to add up to 3weeks to their travel time. If they happen to be our valued international tourists, what chance for them to make it to their pre-booked flight home (which has probably been cancelled anyway.)

I'd call that trapped.

Even the retiree grey nomads might not have enough spare cash to do a 3week delayed rush home in time to do a 2 week isolation.

Of course I see the problem but I also see the consequences. We are all massively inconvenienced or have lost a job etc. I guess to point is that the people with the knowledge of how diseases spread believe that in avoid an italy type situation we have to act decisively.

red750 might know more about this. This morning, the xo of the men's shed association was on the ABC radio talking about the men's sheds going online to maintain social contact. He also said some global links might be established because of it. Another thing mentioned was that shed members were having ring arounds to keep in touch with members.

I can see some long term social change coming out of this virus scare. Things like working from home, teleconferencing etc, might become more predominate in the future. This is where companies and individuals get to try new things by necessity, and who knows, they might adopt better long term practices. Like things that lead to less pollution, more efficiency, less cost and a better work/life balance. It doesn't hurt to dream.

• Like 1

I hadn't heard anything about that Willy, I don't listen to the radio unless I'm in the car. Our shed, like almost all others, is suspended due to Covid-19 and the risk to seniors. Our co-ordinator requested the shed volunteers (I am one) to ring members - he gave me the contact number of four others. I have contacted them to check how they are going. One chap, 86, was delighted that we took the effort although he is managing OK. Another chap is not doing well, although he said he did not have the virus, so I referred him to the co-ordinator to follow up. The chap lives on his own with no family to call on. There used to be a ShedOnLine run buy Beyond Blue, but they withdrew funding about four years ago. I made a number of online friends through SOL whom I remain in contact with by email.

It surprises me that there hasn't been a site similar to this one for the sheds, considering there are more sheds in Australia than there are McDonalds, with a few thousand members. Ours alone has over 50 members. The Men's Shed movement has now spread to many overseas countries, Canada, New Zealand and Ireland probably the largest number. The Victorian Men's Shed Association has a Facebook group where I do the posting on behalf of our shed. Sadly, the Australian Men's Shed Association has been taken over in a manner akin to RAAus.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It surprises me that there hasn't been a site similar to this one for the sheds

I think that's what they've set up, Peter. The bloke on the radio gave a web address, maybe of the association. I could be wrong, but I think the idea is that your shed could operate virtually via a website, and members interact much like this forum.

This might be it.

www.mensshed.org/theshedonline.

So it looks like following this link you can access the forum and under 'Shed Chatter', you can start a thread for an individual shed. But it looks like all discussion with one particular shed would be limited to single thread and not multi thread.

www.mensshed.org/theshedonline.

I checked out one thread and couldn't see any way of uploading photos; seems to be text only.

TEXT IS FINE !

I seem to be able to talk through this keyboard,

BUT

when I tried the " chatroom ", I lost my voice,

" Under these regs, if I were to die tomorrow, my wife, daughter and eldest son could attend the funeral, plus one other, my son who doesn't live in this house. None of my brothers or sisters, or their spouses, let alone any of my friends, could attend. How comforting. "

RED May I suggest , If that sad thing were to happen,

DON'T say a word.

Put you on hold ( ice ) till it's over and we'll all come to see you off,

or

Just take it easy until the end of this sheet.

spacesailor

• Haha 1

I can see some long term social change coming out of this virus scare. Things like working from home, teleconferencing etc, might become more predominate in the future.

My son, who works in the IT world was telling me that one or two years ago, IT service providers were trying to sell the idea of facilitating out-of-office working through the wonders of the Internet. At one stage he developed a system of Makita tools so there field reps could send in amended orders while visiting clients. At that stage, hardly any businesses were receptive to the idea.

He tells me that since the start of this incident, and the associated closing down of all sorts of office workplaces, the demand by business for out-of-office systems has gone though the roof. Those companies which take it on will probably find that by next year they will be reassessing the need for vast amounts of office space, and that their employees will only need to attend group meetings every few weeks.

Think of the reduction of pressure on the transport infrastructure - road and rail. The down side, of course, is that the works Christmas party will have to be held in an online chat room.

Uggh! The office Christmas party. Last one I went to was on 2007. Decided they were a waste of time.. now, just team dinners and a drink afterwards is so much more civilised.

Anwyay, up until the last two contracts, I have been in engagements where I was expected to work from home at least 3 days per week; We have had field service and sales ordering technology for eons. WHat is the point in getting a rep to take an order, come back to the office, key it in (or download it) to start the fulfilment process (which sometimes can include scheduling manufacture) ? Sort of makes JIT just out of time. Why shouldn't I be able to send a message to the work crew and reschedule their planned jobs when an unplanned outage needs immediate attention?

I am talking around the year 2000 for this... Sure, they needed laptpops or specially designed portable hardware in those days; but for at least 15 years, they have been doing it with more or less consumer technology such as tablets and phones. Are Aussie firms really that far behind the modernisastion curve?

Actually, I remember in 2004, when I was doing a gig with the Vic Workcover Authority, I met a bloke also doing a gig who has a small software company that did enterpise asset management (what I used to do for nukes). They were ahead of the company I previously worked for as they had mobile computing for it designed and working already. Like you say, though, there was not much takeup in Aus. I gave him contact details to sell to my old company (or even get my old company to buy them out); but alas, they persisted with the local potential client base and got nowhere.

SO

How do I ( Joebloe ) get my old drill repaired !

IF

No truckies, No workshop to do the acual repair, and return it ?.

All sounds like Chinese work from home with a child under the Injection molding machine, running it 24 X 7 X12.

No holidays, No sick leave. OR even paying for electricity.

Company truck arrives, takes only Good product, leaves raw materials, pays minimal $ as they can get away with.

Coffee growers had same problem.

spacesailor

You don't get your drill repaired, or at least you don't in Gladstone. there is nobody to do repairs nowadays, you just buy a new one.

I have two old drills which I have repaired myself. In both cases the switch packed up. That is the usual failure point with modern tools.

What really gets me is that modern equipment is put together so that it cannot be dismantled. You cannot even get into a printer for example without breaking the case and modern cars are the same.