Do they get it?

old man emu

Know your onions. Tell you snakes are lizards and get you bit.. Stone the crows mate.. Stiffen the Jewy Lizards. Flat out like a lizard drinking. The ant's pants'. Bird brained. Cop that, young Harry.  It's a dry argument.  A real Pearler.. Kindred Soul. Blind as a bat..  Daggy.. billy can. Schooner, Pint, Middy.. Dud bash.. Old as the hills..  Shoot through.   Nev . .

It's "Shoot through like a Bondi tram"

Before trams were removed in the early 1960's, one of the routes was from the Sydney CBD to Bondi Beach. I suppose that during the summer, the Tramways would run minimum stop services from Central Railway to Bondi. With no stops, the trams could get up some speed compared to the multi-stop trams. Therefore, they would "shoot through" the intermediary suburbs.

Another one-

Flat as a shit carter's hat.

Useless as a hip pocket on a singlet.

Useless as dead dingo's donger.

Useless a tits on bull.

Useless as a nun's cXXt.

Shovelling sXXt uphill.

Couldn't drive a greasy stick up a dog's aXXe.

All over the place, like a mad womans sXXt.

Fit as a Mallee Bull, and twice as dangerous! (greeting, when someone asks how you are).

Full as the last bus.

Going like sXXt off a shiny shovel (moving fast).

Do the Millenials get the meaning of some of our good old sayings, or is it Hash Tag Huh!?

I think some of these sayings not only mean little to millennials but little to me (1962)   Some I have heard but only form older folk (older than me that is)

Octave, you might need to be a minimum of five or six years older. I've got a brother born in '61 and he wouldn't be familiar with too many of them.

Ironically, his son was a millennial and loved the old sayings and regularly used them. Did his bit for preserving them for future generations.

Octave, you might need to be a minimum of five or six years older. I've got a brother born in '61 and he wouldn't be familiar with too many of them.

Ironically, his son was a millennial and loved the old sayings and regularly used them. Did his bit for preserving them for future generations.

Probably geographical also. My parents are from Yorkshire so there are old Yorkshire sayings that I know that would probably meaningless to Australians

Probably geographical also. My parents are from Yorkshire so there are old Yorkshire sayings that I know that would probably meaningless to Australians

Eee, trooble at' Mill...

Hey, have you heard about the way Yorkshire people are injecting Ecstasy into their mouths?

They call it "E by gum"...

Arlo Guthrie wrote a song (probably many songs, actually) called "The Motorcycle Song". He refers to writing this song while going over a cliff on his motorbicycle, "put a new ink cartridge in my pen". I noticed that one version changed that phrase - nobody knew what he was on about!