BREXIT.

Phil Perry

1 hour ago, Yenn said:

What does the hormonal growth promotant do to the people who eat it

When used in beef cattle, these hormones stimulate the metabolism and enhance the production of muscle tissue, which is the saleable product. As the European Federation of Animal Health said, you'd have to eat the 4rse end of a beast to get the same amount of hormone as you'd get from an egg. If it did anything to you, it would make you put on muscle.

The reason we have become so obese is our eating of meals with high energy density but not enough bulk to have our stomach tell our brains they are filled. Another reason is that we have stopped bothering to prepare our own food from scratch. It takes 20 to 30 minutes to prepare a meal of meat and veg. About as long as it takes for a take-away order to be made and delivered by Ubereats. How many working mothers in the 60's and 70's were able to get home from work and get a meal in front of the family by 6:30?

Once again, our health and wellbeing has been eroded by the corporations of the USA.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The bronzed Anzacs were from a different time when society was far more agricultural and people mainly worked with their hands, often outdoors.  Now most of the population works indoors (me included) or operating machinery which involves sitting down for large portions of the day.

However I reckon you'd be surprised at how many people, working or not, who cook meals from scratch.  I know very few people who have ever ordered UberEats or similar, but most of the people in my acquaintance feed their families the old fashioned way.

We've always cooked our own bread but during Covid my wife learned how to make sourdough, so we've been doing that since.  Takes 2 days per cycle but the bread is superb and better for you than normal stuff.

• Like 1

We really have no idea of what is fed to animals we eat nor what other chemicals they can ingest.

Most cattle now have a poured on anti tick chemical, which penetrates their skin. I don't know what is in it, but I notice that the cow pats no longer have the insects in and under them that they used to. Cow manure doesn't break down as it used to and my compost which has manure in it doesn't seem to be as good for plants as it used to be.

Our hard wheat is just what Britain used to consider worlds best and is perfect for bread making, but I suppose it doesn't matter what bread is made from nowadays, because unless you do as Marty does you will not be eating bread, but a cocktail of chemicals to improve it. It didn't need improving when it was baked the old way, but was not so financially viable for the supermarkets.