What the holes for

Admin

The wife Corrine decided to wash her car so I said she could do mine for me as well. I went outside to see how she was going and she was in the middle of washing the back of the car when she asked me, "What are the two holes for"...pointing to the exhaust pipes ...doh

If you didn't love them you would just throw yonnies at them

My daughter's car was parked out the front ( daughter at netball at the time ) when this mate arrived and asked why the car out front had 2 flat tyres.

On inspection, they weren't flat but had about 5psi.  The curbside ones were the worst, and together with the camber in the road, that car had a big lean.

So I pumped them all up to 35 psi and lost the wheel trims in the process, on account of how they were interfering with the valves. Then I went out.  The car was gone when I returned.

Later that evening I rang and asked her did she notice anything different about the car when she drove it home....  "nope" was the answer.

Yep,I did teach her to drive and I wanted to teach her maintenance too but I was outgunned. I once told her to bring some cheap oil and some cheap coolant, like you get from the supermarket... " how much?" she said." About 20 dollars " I replied.

" I'll just take it to a service place" she said. "OK, but that will cost a lot more than $20 ", says me.

There is a short silence, then comes this tone she uses on retards.. louder and slower than usual...

" Daaaad, who on earth would pay more than $20 to get a car serviced?"

When I was growing up, the local postmaster, aged in his 40's, bought his first car, an FC Holden. A neighbor visited and found him complaining about the amount of time it took to do an oil change. He'd been at it for a couple of hours at that stage and had made a small paper funnel and was pouring the oil down the dipstick hole.

There was a memorable scene in the TV adaptation of "Sun on the Stubble" where the farmer- who understands  horses and crops, but not machines- buys one of these new-fangled T-Model Fords. He's out driving with his young son, who does have some idea, when he pulls over and stops. What's up Dad?

Dad announces that the Odomoter has just turns over 1,000 miles. Following the owner's manual to the letter he gets underneath, removes a plug and drops the oil out. Then drives on.

Don't know where they get those figures from.  Particularly in outback areas diesel prices are fairly stable and they are more efficient. Particularly dominant in heavy transport and farm use. Only a few brands still have those low drain intervals. The wife's Mondeo ( Diesel) has 12 months or 15,000 kms ans I do it myself . it's a bit if a bitch to get at the filter though. Nev

My Mitsi diesel is 5,000 K oil change, 10,000 K oil & filter change.

$30 for diesel engine oil, Petrol engine oil is much cheaper.

Diesel filter $30 , Petrol $ 15.

But If  I make an Illegal mod, ( E G R ) the maker say's 10,000 between oil changes !.

And they sell the Modification kit.

So on the 15,000 k comparison between Petrol & diesel fuel economy. they need to figure in the other cost.

Two oil & one filter change in a year.

spacesailor

If you leave the oil in there forever you are a fool. You can get specially formulated ED oils that have longer life but only because of extra additives.  THE oil itself is no better and there's less of it. The additives get exhausted and the contaminants get more. Some engines get so much soot in the oil it won't drain out of the engine.

A good filter wouldn't/shouldn't be any different in price for petrol or diesel. It's usually the popularity of it that makes it cheaper. and you should buy them in Packs if you want a good price. Nowadays filters are of very small dimensions so can't hold vast quantities of impurity.A diesel can sit longer without the problems of corrosion petrol engines get and the exhaust system lasts much longer, and there's no ignition parts coils leads and plugs. They do stink though and getting diesel on your hands when refuelling is a pain.. Nev

"Nev"

I completely agree with you,

BUT, check the prices next time shopping.

Petrol, will live after driven being through a river, (flooded), One drop of water down a diesel intake & a broken Conrod will be expected.

I drive both, Pajero & Delica. (DELIveryCAr)

spacesailor

• 2 weeks later...

This mate wagged his finger at his daughter who had just bought a second hand Falcon. There was an after-market oil pressure gauge in it.

"don't you drive it with no oil" he said.

Well the daughter drove off, but the gauge only went half way, so she put more oil in. It still only went half way, so she kept repeating this until the engine destroyed itself.

They never told the father just what happened.

• 1 month later...

Since SHE wasn't told that PRESSURE will only be there if there's some oil, and it's NOT indicating QUANTITY. the  essential information needed was lacking. Women aren't THAT stupid. IF the Car has ONE engine why does it need TWO exhaust Pipes??  They might just have a basic concept of logic, superior (perish the thought) to men, in some matters. Nev