Comparing Africa with the UK

Phil Perry

I asked a Chap from the Central African Republic why they had a Ministry of Shipping....

He said, "Why not,. . . the UK has a Ministry of Justice . . ."

I'll bite. The CAR (also known as the CA Empire) cannot lecture the Brits on justice. It's the world's least developed country and racked by violence and poverty. Their disgusting dictator/emperor Bokassa was known for his incredible cruelty, including having protesting school children shot. He is also reputed to have enjoyed eating his opponents.

Plenty of port in Canberra, brandy and wines also.

Here in Gladstone we had a Port Authority, which they changed to Authority when they couldn't answer all the questions about fortified wines.

Reminds me of the TV program I saw of Scottish comedian Danny Bhoy at the Sydney Opera house. He was talking about Scottish breakfasts, black puddings et al.His mother used to say "there are starving kids in Africa would love to have that breakfast". He was sure mothers in Africa were saying to their kids, "There are children in Scotland who would love to be as starving as you."

Brit Politics has gone 'Banana Republic' . . .they're pulling every trick they can to get Theresa May's Surrender Treaty passed in the Commons. Not going to happen. If it was ever ratified, (she signed it already ) the UK is Permanently stuck as a Vassal state in the EU with no legal way of exiting it.

I'll bite. The CAR (also known as the CA Empire) cannot lecture the Brits on justice. It's the world's least developed country and racked by violence and poverty. Their disgusting dictator/emperor Bokassa was known for his incredible cruelty, including having protesting school children shot. He is also reputed to have enjoyed eating his opponents.

Did you miss the jokey irony there OK ?. . . .

I've BEEN to the CAR. . and it's a lot worse than you point out, even NOW. You have to bribe your way around,. . the white fella is always wealthy ( ! ) so you get targeted even more,. . Bank employees, Airport staff, Hotel managers, Police. .. they're all at it,. . . it's the way the country works. The Bribes are Tiny amounts ( to us ) but it oils the wheels. This is the same in most of the other African states,. . so you get used to it, and carry loads of small change, or it drives you bonkers.

I found tht the only'Honest' workers were the Taxi drivers,. . self employed. . and were very fair. You just have to barter with them a bit, ie, when they quote you a fare, you give them 25% of what they wanted and sit in the taxi. If you give them another 25% as a tip,. . they will wait outside your hotel and take you anywhere,. . .but the same rule applies. . .Never give them the asking price ! AND TAKE AS MUCH SAFE BOTTLED WATER WITH YOU AND NEVER EVER BUY IT THERE.. . or you will die in gony of some unspeakble disease. . .and 'Bar Girls' ? ? ? ? No matter how beautiful,. . .Just Don't. Africa is HIV Central.

Even in New Zealand they think the white tourists are rich. Maybe they recall the joke "what's the Capital of new Zealand??? ". WELL it's Wellington but the correct answer was "about $10". Australia is heading for a place where that sort of joke is on US. Our dollar is plunging . That's why YOU are going downhill. I've stopped buying anything from there because of the exchange rate, here.. It's nearly two of yours for one of ours . $#!t it's depressing. Nev

I lost count of the number of times that I suggested to my Mum that she mail my unwanted food to the starving kids in Africa.

In hindsight I regret those comments. Many nights my Mum would cook Vegetable Soup.

If my dad managed to shoot a rabbit on the way home from work it became Rabbit stew.

If he shot a Duck it would become Duck stew.

Many nights it stayed as vegetable soup.

Only when I became a parent did I realise how that must have hurt my parents.

I can empathise, Geoff. You only truly start to understand your parents long after you've become one; but we live in an age of plenty.

As a kid most of our food came from our farm and times were not always plentiful.

No matter how hard she'd worked, my mum always ate last and the least.