Australian Tennis Season

willedoo

I say, Old Bean, one must gallop one's horse with the clock, not against it. To run against the clock is to maintain the affront to the glorious memory of his Royal Highness King George III perpetrated in 1787 by one William Whiteley in what was His Majesty's colony of Kentucky. Not only did that scoundrel run his horses against the clock, he did so on a clay surface. 

https://horseracingsense.com/why-are-horse-races-run-counter-clockwise/

• Confused 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's a tough gig for some of the juniors. I was looking at today's match schedule and there's a Bulgarian and an Australian about to face off in the junior girls singles semi final. Both girls only finished their quarter final matches less than two hours ago. I guess they're young and fit enough to do back to back matches like that.

The commentators were saying that Jannik Sinner lives in the north of Italy, up near the Austrian border and his first language is German. Out of curiosity I had a look at the area on Google Maps street view and all the signage is bilingual. The architecture is very Austrian/German; nothing much resembles the Italy we usually think of.

• Informative 1

That was a poor show at the presentation ceremony of the men's final. No matter whether people love or loathe the PM, booing him at the ceremony is not the right place and time to do it. It was Jannik Sinner's night and the idiots were doing their best to spoil the ceremony. A bunch of entitled f'wits who could afford $3,500 for a ticket were obviously not happy their tax cuts had been reduced. Politics and sport are a bad mix.

• Agree 2

The tennis  crowd has done some unpleasant things a few times. Only the English Soccer fans make them look OK. Having the PM do the presentation was a significant honour I would expect. Sky and Merdey are playing it up for all it's worth. Late night watching it.  I don't think Medvedev was in the best  physical condition. They both hit some great shots and returns and both plenty of unforced errors. Sinner is only 22 years old. He deserves better behaved supporters.  Nev

• Agree 2

It might have been a different game if Medvedev wasn't so tired out from his previous long matches. He's a tough one to beat.

I think Scotty from Marketing also got booed at one of the previous finals when he was PM. It's not right at an event like that, no matter which side they're on.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

It's a small world. I was looking at a Ukrainian seller's listing on eBay and he had a video clip of the item in addition to the usual photos. I clicked on the video and the background noise in his house was an Australian Open tennis match playing loudly on the TV. Most likely they were watching Ukraine's Dayana Yastremska play.

• Like 3