Is it worth reporting on politics?

old man emu

In order to preserve what's left of my mental health, I try to limit my exposure to the most toxic news but the following video clip might answer the original question: is it worth reporting on politics?

The embedded video of a CNN exporter challenging the President's version of reality clearly shows how it's now the norm for journalists to be abused for speaking out. Pay close attention as a female staffer approaches him. Afterwards, he was banned from the White House and accused of assaulting her.

Barack Obama's America can be seen in Donald Trump's midterm election losses - Donald Trump's America - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

"Tthe world's greatest democracy" and the home of free speech has been taken over by this colossal hypocrite, who has stirred up such division that reporters are regularly abused and threatened.

I've ceased to be surprised by anything coming out of the white house. I am bitterly disappointed in the American people, who despite a minor shift to Democrat in the Congress (no more than the average for a mid-term against a sitting president), actually increased Republican numbers in the senate.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Self interest has always reigned supreme. IF you consider yourself to be # 1, you think you can get away without knowing much about or considering the rest of the World. That time of great power and wealth was after the end of WW2 .Since that time they have initiated many military style excursions/ interferences or wars and won none.. They spend big on military hardware and boast how superior it is. and bully others, so why are they admirable?

How can people who unilaterally withdraw from agreements, expect their "friends". to be bound by a decision they weren't part of.? US is now a dictatorship of a war mongering Cadre personally selected by Donny. No good can come of it.. Nev

Nev, you have to agree that they handled a defeated germany and Japan well.

That's because the English, French and Yanks realised that their reparation demands after WWl were the root cause of the political backlash in Germany in the twenty years after WWl. If Germany had not been flogged by the cruel demands for money and territory made by the French, then Germany would have recovered during the 1920's as England and France did.

If any country is to be blamed for lighting the fires of WWll, it has to be France. Not only did they rape Germany, but they severely molested the Middle East by making Britain renege on her promises of self rule made to the Arabs in return for being allies against the Ottomans.

Worse still, the fighting went on until 11:00 am. What if a relative died at 10:00 am?

Don't forget that there were lots of soldiers from all armies who died from wounds after 11/11/18, and a whole lot more who died by their own hands well into the 1930s as a result of war-induced mental instability, or depression from having to live with disfiguring injuries.

Read "Digger Smith" by C J Dennis

DIGGER SMITH by C.J. Dennis (1876 - 1938) , poems IV and lX

[ATTACH]49662._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]49660._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]49661._xfImport[/ATTACH]

1541885456347.png.e600860399f43132bd6313cfad746249.png

1541885478661.png.586cc21d1ad7aec0506fd6435f5737b6.png

1541885503007.png.79669ed5c093a6c638ccd0cba9f0784a.png

Any Anniversary event that brings focus to the Sacrifices made by those that partook and their Families (our families) is good and to distract our generations from our pathetic concerns i.e. internet coverage etc. Of course 11/11/1918 was only a pause in a World War which went from 1914 - 1945.

I have noticed that in Australia there is plenty of reporting on Donald Trump. Rarely a day goes by without something being reported, but I havn't seen any reporting of him saying anything about the two latest disasters in USA. Those are the mass killing by an ex Marine and the bush fires in California. Has he rally said absolutely nothing about them or is what he is saying not being reported, possibly because it doesn't suit the journalists agenda.

Today being Armistice day I along with many otherw will look at the sacrifices made by our military over the years. It also makes me wonder just how many of our politicians, have served in the forces. I shall have to do some research.

Brendan Nelson maybe, he is certainly involved through his position in military history. One recent ex polly was a serving soldier, before she was thrown out I believe.

... It also makes me wonder just how many of our politicians, have served in the forces...

Interesting point. Would military service improve their political decision-making?

Having a military background seems to help political careers in the USA, but this is not America (and I wish my countrymen would stop blindly adopting ever idea, good or terrible, that comes out of the USA).

Australia is a much less militarised country, with only one in every 300 people in the services and reserves.

If you think that Kelly was a revolutionary leader, then he was another leader without a platform, other than complaining about the impartiality of the police in the way they performed their duties. Despite my low regard for this ne'er-do-well horse thief, he did raise a valid point in his complaint against the police.

That said, the Kellys didn't take advantage of the opportunities freedom in Australia offered. So what if the old man had been imprisoned. Thousands of other Irish were, too. The vast majority made good for themselves and their subsequent families. If you honour Ned Kelly, do you also honour the ice addicts who are the bane of our present society?

I have noticed that in Australia there is plenty of reporting on Donald Trump. Rarely a day goes by without something being reported, but I havn't seen any reporting of him saying anything about the two latest disasters in USA. Those are the mass killing by an ex Marine and the bush fires in California. Has he rally said absolutely nothing about them or is what he is saying not being reported, possibly because it doesn't suit the journalists agenda.Today being Armistice day I along with many otherw will look at the sacrifices made by our military over the years. It also makes me wonder just how many of our politicians, have served in the forces. I shall have to do some research.

Brendan Nelson maybe, he is certainly involved through his position in military history. One recent ex polly was a serving soldier, before she was thrown out I believe.

He apparently ordered flags to fly at half mast but no comment otherwise. Mass killings in the US average almost 1 per day in 2018 so it is no big deal to him. He cancelled the visit to the American cemetery in France because it was raining. Churchills grandson tweeted in response to the 100,000 Americans who died in WW1 "They died with their face to the foe and that pathetic inadequate @realDonaldTrump couldn’t even defy the weather to pay his respects to The Fallen"

Now after slanging off at every NATO member except the US he is upset that the Europeans are looking at a defence alliance without him.

Trump criticed CA forest managing, threatening to withhold federal funding if the didn't improve it. He then went on a false tirade of the problems with CA environmental laws, claiming they divert fresh water to the Pacific Ocean (which is false). https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/07/health/trump-tweet-california-wildfire-water-invs/index.html

What really worries me is the electorate's gullibility in soaking up this carp - not only in the US, but across the democratised world. Leaders have become very cunning at subverting the deomcratic process; they commit enough electoral fraud to maintain their grip; but not enough to raise the eyebrows of the electoal law regulators and observers; they gently manipulate the press; replace the judiciary with enough younger supporters who then provide just enough power to support government agendas.. all subliminal and tweaks that are designed to give an air of legitmacy... Very worrying times, indeed..

Overpopulation, resource depletion and climate change are already having an effect on incomes. So what do people do? they look for something to blame. They elect uneducated loud people who have simplistic solutions. Of course this makes things worse than before but the voters don't realize this as they find more things to blame.

Trump is just a symptom. He is not even the first.

And they are not completely wrong .. I reckon we are fools to take in thousands of new immigrants when we don't have any coherent plan of how to feed our population in 50 years time ...You have scientific illiterates thinking scientists will magically provide.

There is nothing wrong with science. We have been told for over 60 years that science can find a way to safely store nuclear waste, in fact a lot of people think science has already done that. Why are we not using that scientific breakthrough to store the waste safely and let us have the abundant cheap power that scientists say is available from nuclear.

I wonder.

If Trump etc were against immigration for sustainability reasons, they would have my support. Alas they have no understanding of the science of sustainability.

And as for nuclear storage, what's the problem? Even if there were a problem, it would have to be really bad to be worse than the global warming alternative.

Amazingly, this nuclear opposition from the greens is wrecking the planet as much as the carbon denialists. It's probably too late now to go nuclear but it could have saved civilization.