I wonder why this never caught on ?

Phil Perry

It never caught on because no one wants to take their parents-in-law camping in a tiny caravan, especially "cooped" up with them in a Mini to get there...

Oh I dunno Marty,. . .a mate of mine used to have one of those Mini Cooped Up 'S' thingies. . .( but it didn't have a towbar. . .)

No Flame Orange shag-pile carpet for one thing.

Did you notice the Hairstyles on the Ladies ? ? ? Jeez,. . .did people really look like that in the sixties ? . .I don't recall, as I was too busy drinking Watneys Draught Red Barrel / Newcastle Brown and smoking the occasional joint in rock bands ( I think ) spacer.png spacer.png

OK, you have a mini, max 998cc, front wheel drive, with a heavy (comparatively) structure hanging off the back adding an extra pair of unsteerable wheels with the resultant extra loading, especially when trying to turn .... Hope it didn't rain while they were set up at the riverside, I doubt whether they would have got out unassisted.

I wonder what Mk2 would have been like.

I was glad to see that, at least the elder of the two gentlemen was wearing a tie whilst fishing

.David

People here take a thing the size of a house and costing half a house, with them now. I thought when on a holiday you went to places to experience the places not look like Worth's Circus arriving.. and need a tank to pull it. at 22 litres/100 Kms. and have to stick to sealed roads.Nev

OK, you have a mini, max 998cc, front wheel drive, with a heavy (comparatively) structure hanging off the back adding an extra pair of unsteerable wheels with the resultant extra loading, especially when trying to turn .... Hope it didn't rain while they were set up at the riverside, I doubt whether they would have got out unassisted.I wonder what Mk2 would have been like.

I was glad to see that, at least the elder of the two gentlemen was wearing a tie whilst fishing

.David

Here's another attempt David. . .

[ATTACH]49318._xfImport[/ATTACH]

I've never worn a Tie whilst fishing, but I went for some instrument training at YMMB one day, wearing a TUX. I'd slipped and fallen into a wet ditch helping a Lady with flat tyre problems enroute to the airfield. . .got my keks soaked. I had the Tux hanging in the back of the Transit camper, so I got changed and went flying in that, complete with crisp white shirt and collar. . . Minus the dickie bow . . . . Instructor thought it was hilarious.

Volksavan.thumb.jpg.66a9868aa4458d4f86c4dca2d173a508.jpg

Have to keep up with the Jones es. (IF you are silly enough) When you do a bit of camping keep your eyes open for what works and how spending a fortune doesn't guarantee a good result.. Bang for your buck probably goes to the few oldies who have just an early Hi Ace and an annex and some pushies.. I reckon you need to be able to LEVEL your van. Plenty of Caravan parks are not on level ground if you are in interesting places.

Phil Re the hilarious flying , did he notice what your attire was like as well.? Nev

F C

Yes I've seen mobile home owner's dig a "wheel-well" to level their van (oops MOBOME), In the ( what's that new name for a ) caravan park.

I carry an Aldi levelling plastic thingy For the (new name) "Tent-trailer", Another money grabber from (new name) " NSW Services", Old registration.

spacesailor

We got ourselves a trailer tent - didn't cost a fortune - it's got all we need for our travels. Total outlay $1500 and we get a instant campsite with a proper, warm, dry pillow-top bed.

Meanwhile one neighbour wanted to go 'camping' and settled for a $20,000 camper (it's still a trailer tent). Then the neighbour on the other side also caught the 'camping' bug. They spent $145,000 on a mini motorhome built on a Hilux chassis. After all that it still not self levelling. Worse, I've been over there three times now to show them how to manage the computerised power management. On my first visit they were using candles because they couldn't work out how to turn the lights on! Full sized shower/toilet, stove and fridge. TV, diesel powered central heating, etc, etc.....

So they can sit in their luxury living space, watching the 6 o'clock News totally isolated from the place they have visited.

The difference between a Camper-van & a Motor-homes is the latter has a self contained shower unit. Big deal: we have a portable shower tent & another tent for the "PortaPotti"

I've taken a fancy to my daughter's "Forward-fold" camper-trailer, if not using the annex, no bits need touch the dirt.

Wind it up, with a " hand-winch" & that it DONE, kettle's on.

spacesailor

I thought roughing it meant turning the electric blanket down to Medium. spacer.png

I'm with you, Peter. After half a life being paid to travel and rough it, I'm looking forward in retirement to just staying home; something I haven't done much of. A big nyet to grey nomading.

The rocking chair on the verandah is looking good.

Some off us have "worked/eat/sleep. to payoff the mortgage.so haven't seen much of this country at all. After 20 years of "retirement" I still have a handful of places I haven't been to.

Or I didn't know about when in the vicinity ,so" Missed it by that much 99".

Visited Rylstone about four times before getting into the "right" gate, as other gates are locked.

spacesailor

I know a couple who set off on a grand trip around Australia 15 years ago. They only made it as far as country Victoria, and as far as I know, they're still there - living in a caravan park and both working. Don't know why the hell they bothered.

Have to keep up with the Jones es. (IF you are silly enough) When you do a bit of camping keep your eyes open for what works and how spending a fortune doesn't guarantee a good result.. Bang for your buck probably goes to the few oldies who have just an early Hi Ace and an annex and some pushies.. I reckon you need to be able to LEVEL your van. Plenty of Caravan parks are not on level ground if you are in interesting places.Phil Re the hilarious flying , did he notice what your attire was like as well.? Nev

Funny you should mention that Nev, after the session, he seemed disoriented, face drained of colour, and he walked away muttering something. . .must have been my less than superb handling of the 'Recovery from unusual attitudes under the hood' excercise ? ? spacer.png

You have to convince them that whatever you did was intentional. It's a sales thing. The first thing I did when recovering from "unusual" attitudes UNDER THE HOOD was to centralise the controls and HOLD it that way for a brief time. THAT's easy. My skills go far enough to achieve the aim. and you are doing NOTHING so you have done nothing BAD... Then see what the plane does, and react. The bar stewards would have you inverted and indulged all sorts of skullduggery, taking you into steep turns and rolls off turns etc to get the middle ear excited.. Sado masochist Richard craniums.. Talk about feeling sick. It's a wonder I kept flying. Nev

The ones that turn up at our local caravan park reckon they do it for the lifestyle. They have a giant dual axle Caravan with everything (shower, toilet, fridge, freezer, aircon, 60 inch TV, separate bedroom etc) and need a Huge 4WD to pull it all costing about 250-300k. It costs them an arm & a leg in fuel to get it there & then it costs $35 to $100 a night to park it. Most have no idea how to reverse the thing properly either but once sorted they get the table out & sit under the annex open a few bottles of their favourite & yarn to others who are doing the same thing. A few days of drunken nights and yarning & they are off to the next place after spending about 2 hours trying to work out how to pack everything back up & get the Caravan out of the park.

You got it KG. Great entertainment watching them trying to back the "wheeled" block of flats "onto" the site let alone accurately. Nasty REAL Australian types direct them down the back of the Park when they first turn up, where they can't turn around. I think it's called "Plebs" revenge. Once they "HAVE" parked and hooked up the welding cables to the power and the POO pipe to the fitting, they get out a folding chair, sit under the annexe and spend the day on the Computer, just like at home. Nev