TV 'CHARITY' ADS

Phil Perry

I rarely watch TV, unless there's a good docco advertised in the TV paper. . .( which isn't as often as I'd like )

My Good Lady, however,. . watches Lots of TV during the day, when she isn't gardening that is,. . she was moaning today that she was getting fed up with TV ads for charities,. . .Give £3 a month for this, or Txt 001113 to give £5 a month for something else,. .. and they are relentless, and more so on the approach to Christmas, twanging the heartstrings of the poor viewers. . . This is odd, as she doesn't normally whinge about much, me being the ideal Husbandman at her beckon call of course. . . I saw this today, and although it's a parody, it puts these 'Charidees' into perspective . . . I was gong to put it in the 'Funnies' forum, but it is now a burgeoning 'Industry'

I wonder if you get the same dross on Australian Telly ? ? ?

***ADVERTISMENT BREAK***

spacer.png

Christmas. A time for family. A time of laughter. A time for sharing.

( *Sad piano music* )

But the Syrian civil war in Eritrea has plunged millions of square miles of Africa, the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent into an unprecedented humanitarian crisis.

This is Umbongo, a 13-year-old child refugee forced to flee his village in Chad after Bashir Al Assad's Syrian forces drowned his entire family in a gigantic vat of liquid sarin gas....just because the Syrian regime wanted to build a white phosphorous factory on his tribal homeland.

spacer.png

Umbongo is alone, scared and vulnerable.He was plucked from a dinghy a whole kilometre off the Libyan coast by the brave crew of the humanitarian NGO vessel the MSS Wypipo, and transported to Italy. He was grinning and laughing through bitter tears.

Believe it or not, Umbongo was one of the lucky ones - but his basic human rights to benefits, a council flat and the latest iPhone continue to be a casualty of this horrific conflict.

But for just £1,500 per month, you can buy Umbongo a decent smartphone, a new wardrobe, an on-call translator, taxi travel to and from the nearest mosque, a big bag of khat, some bushmeat and a room in a Premier Inn while he waits for a suitable council flat in Knightsbridge to come up.

So do the right thing this Christmas. Text '£1500' to Unicef and I guarantee at least three per cent of your donation will go directly into Umbongo's pocket after our selfless team of managers have taken a small fee for their priceless expertise in aiding the world's poor and vulnerable. DO IT NOW ! YOU KNOW IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO. .

Don't watch the ads, but I do subscribe to a couple of charities. One of them kept sending advertising and begging material, until I told them that I would cancel the standing order if they didn't stop. They still get the $25 per month, but I don't have my post box stuffed with their blurbs.

Our local Coles supermarket lets charities set up outside their entrance. It's rare to be able to go shopping there in peace without people asking you for donations. I don't mind ones like the sporting wheelies etc., but the one that gets up my nose is the UN refugee mob who are there about once a month.

Maybe they mean well, but people giving them $5 of their grocery money will do Jack S**t to stop the wars that are causing the refugees. Instead of trying to bludge small change off shoppers in Western countries, they'd be better off putting more effort and pressure on the wealthy countries that are arming opposing sides and playing games with peoples lives for political or financial gain.

Our local Coles supermarket lets charities set up outside their entrance. It's rare to be able to go shopping there in peace without people asking you for donations. I don't mind ones like the sporting wheelies etc., but the one that gets up my nose is the UN refugee mob who are there about once a month.

Maybe they mean well, but people giving them $5 of their grocery money will do Jack S**t to stop the wars that are causing the refugees. Instead of trying to bludge small change off shoppers in Western countries, they'd be better off putting more effort and pressure on the wealthy countries that are arming opposing sides and playing games with peoples lives for political or financial gain.

We got that yesterday shopping in the local Tesco. . .loads of 'Chuggers' as they are affectionately known, and they are bloody rude, waving their tins in you face. Perhaps they're on a commission . . .

This time it was 'Save the Children' . . . I suggested that they ask their Chief executive Lady ( £242K per annum ) and another seventy odd administrators each on £65K+ to take a severe pay cut, then maybe they'd have some dough for the kids. . . .in the meantime, those salaries account for a heck of a lot of 50 pence coins in tins. . . .

Remember when Red Cross collected for I think it was the Indonesian Tsunami. A lot of the money never went near the victims, just ended up in Red cross general revenue. Quite a stink about it at the time and they will never get anything from me.

The Salvation Army is my choice for donations. They do Brilliant work all over the UK for homeless people, free food and hot drinks vans all over the country staffed by volunteers, members visiting elderly, lonely people and doing odd jobs. . . Genuine bunch, and town centres just wouldn't be the same around Christmas without a 'Sally Army' brass band.

The Sally Army has been my charity of choice for 60 plus years. All caused by how they looked after the troops when I was in the army.

Most of the others are just professional fund raisers, with terrific overheads, such as management wages.

I've found that any donation leads to lots of junk mail and begging phone calls- even from charities I can't recall giving to. I email them to stop the junk mail and use the money on their core function.

These days, when I tell cold callers I will donate directly to the organisation's site, they get panicky; presumably because they won't get a commission.

I remember the Sporting Wheelies and Guide Dogs used to do their own fundraising. Most of the others used fund raising contractors. They would call and say they were from a certain charity, but it was the same mob with many charities as their clients. I don't know if it's accurate, but I was told their fee is 40%, the charity gets 60%, from which a couple of peanuts might dribble through to the cause.

Some of them prey on the elderly. When my dad was alive, one charity rang asking for money and when he said he couldn't afford it, they told him he could use his credit card.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I give blood instead of money. I know it'll be put to good use and can't go towards CEO salaries.

I'd also give blood, but all it would do is comatose the recipient/s, too!

I did try in Aus, but because I lived in the UK they refused to take it.. Not blue, but could be mad cows disease/CJD tainted.

You're forgetting the new media economy - well the new economy - virtual currency, youtubers, etc. My son now plays CS-go, which is some interactive computer shoot-em-up game. That, and FIFA, and I think Grand Theft Auto are big business - not only for the publishers/manufacturers, but for the players, too as there is this new phenomena, e-sports. Teams play for £1m prize money, thet have the same sort of sports media setup as say NFL, but on youtube. AFL clubs are even buying the teams! http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/essendon-bombers-buy-australian-esports-team-abyss-20171207-h00vmw.html.

They are all sucking the country (and when you think about it, the world) economy dry. Oh, I hear the arguments that there's a market and people will direct their limited resources (money) to their most pressing desires (they can't have everything). The problem is technology thse days (in terms of internet based) is really a darned big media platform that allows interactivity, and becomes very captive for those that psychologically manipulate people for their game. They even have a new academic term for this psychological manipulation - behavioural economics. Big corporations are pumping lots of money into it.

Traditional spectator sports are very wasteful of resources. The money about to be poured into stadiums in NSW is outrageous and represents a transfer of vast amounts of money from the taxpayer to narrow financial interests from whom the taxpayers can expect little return. On the other hand eSports are very efficient with the bulk of costs falling to the participants rather than innocent bystanders. Sport needs to be moved off the ABC to, say, 2GB, where the listeners know no pain, and the bills are paid by advertising.