A true E-Type...

Marty_d

Now that's what I call a fantastic idea.

Electric shock! Jaguar converts a classic E-Type convertible

Better performance than the original and 270km range... and no emissions.

What other 2-seater classics would be candidates for electric conversion? I'm thinking Shelby Cobra... Alfa Spider... late 50's Corvette.

Imagine some of those with aluminium bodywork and an electric donk. More popular than a Prius I'd bet.

A quick trip to Brisbane from Sydney! in a classic Jag!,

"Jaguar says the E-Zero E-Type has a maximum driving range of 270km and takes up to seven hours to fully charge the 40kWh lithium-ion battery.

That makes a couple of Long pit stops I think, a Corola would walk that trip in them hours.

spacesailor

At the moment electric is not about long range cruising. Most people (truckies excepted) don't want to drive from Brisbane to Sydney on a regular basis, they commute to work and home or go for a couple hours drive on the weekend.

I hear QLD is putting in quick-charging stations between Brisbane & Cairns. Eventually they might have them all the way up the East coast.

I'm old school!.

I still love driving, leave Sydney with a full tank, stop for lunch & fill that (too small) tank, Stop for evening & fill up again.

Sydney to Cairns in five days.

Also all electric cars should have a warning bell "dinging" away to warn others of the silent approaching vehicle, just like the first cars had!.

spacesailor

Octavecheap electricity, It would be nice here in Australia, With all those subsidies & not paying their share of Tolls, why aren't all Norwegians driving Teslas.

spacesailor

Well 42% of them are. (Electrics, anyway, not necessarily Tesla's).

Compared to 0.05% of us.

• 7 months later...
Doesn't Norway/SwedenScrap their cars after two or three years ?.

The new Korean cars would still be under warranty.

spacesailor

Actually, I don't believe this is true, after searching the Norwegian car registration authority I can find no reference to vehicle age but happy to be educated.

If you scrap them quickly the energy used in their manufacture becomes a key factor. The Japanese have a system where it has to go through a BIG inspection at 5 years I think so they sell them overseas as it's prohibitively costly. Most North European Cars last a long time. The early Volvo's did high life . there used to be records kept and the Volvo's were highest at 11 years or something like that, average. Salt on the roads kills them. People don't seem to realise how corrosive SALT is.. Nev

No one is going to scrap a car after 2 or 3 years. Worst they'll do is sell them to a neighbouring country that doesn't have that rule. Jeez, I don't even buy a car until it's 3 years old - let someone else run it in and cop the major depreciation.

I bought my first ever brand new car 6 years ago & the drive train has a 10 year warranty so still 4 years to go. I have done 135,000 km so far and I have not had a single fault, not even a light bulb has failed. One new set of tyres and windscreen after a truck kicked up a stone & cracked it. Modern cars are reliable and long lasting, end of story. Only vanity makes people get rid of them.

You have no idea how much the "Pre Loved" car you buy has been abused. IF you get a good deal on a new one it has full warrantee and YOU have control how well it's looked after. Council owned cars are often NEVER oil changed Why? The accountants decide that they get no more after the lease expires for looking after the vehicle so they decide to not do it. YOU get a car that's NOT been serviced properly if you buy one that they have leased. Nev

• 3 weeks later...
You have no idea how much the "Pre Loved" car you buy has been abused. IF you get a good deal on a new one it has full warrantee and YOU have control how well it's looked after...

Not always true, Nev. The only new car my wife ever bought, a Peugeot 307, developed several faults despite being very well cared for. I got in big trouble for writing it off in a prang, so the next day bought her a near-identical model. It had done heaps more km, but was in far better condition; everything worked perfectly.

My point is that many cars are neglected compared with years ago when people got more personally involved with their vehicles. Many mechanics are rushed and careless and also chronically overtighten most things or alternatively leave things not tightened at all. Nuts rounded off, threads stripped especially in plastic parts. Don't tell you what coolant is in there so you can't top it up safely. Pre Loved is a sick term in the situation we describe. The detailing it gets before the purchase by you is probably the only "clean" the vehicle has had or else it's been a car wash with the noticeable scratches that result and detergent down through the doors that cause rust and make things seize up in door mechanisms. Many cars are never garaged, and used every day for relatively short trips They are parked at the railway station or in the city all day and in front of the house all night, perhaps under a street tree which is one of the worst things you can do. The dealers are masters at car detailing. Often the paints used are not long lasting and the "new" bits look distinctly ordinary when the touched up areas inevitably fade. A carefully chosen 2nd hand car is good value if you get it from someone you know or know of. The trade in offers are eye watering and insulting. Often you get the new car at the same price if you get a NO trade in Discount. But a new car loses value at a rapid rate, even if you don't do high miles in it. Nev