A true E-Type...

Marty_d

It is still IMHO the most beautiful sports car ever made. When I was in the UK in 73 the first Arab Oil shock hit and the gas guzzling sector of the motor vehicle industry was stopped in its tracks. I still couldn't afford an E Type but I bought a 1966 Jag 340. I didn't realise it at the time but only a few hundred were ever produced. Its predecessor was the 3.4 with the big W bumpers. This was the 3.4 with S type bumpers & some nice new innovations like adjustable steering column & electrically heated windows. It went like a rocket. I remember driving down the M1 at 125 MPH with only 1 finger on the steering wheel. The IRA were bombing London at the time & I kept getting pulled over by the constabulatory looking for weapons as of course Jags were renowned getaway cars. Reliability was the main problem but you just had to open the bonnet and look at those fabulous polished alloy rocker covers & you forgave that minor inconvenience

The "E" type can be very hot inside. (You are sitting low and right next to the gearbox) and I think it's hard to fit airconditioning to it from memory. and it's also hard to close the bonnet without taking paint off.. Great rear suspension Independent with inboard discs. Motor that has a great sound, but a bit trucky. Black japanned cast exhaust manifolds. Don't talk about the V 12 (double six) wet sleeve catastrophe. The smaller saloon 3.8/4.2 with wire wheels is classy with wood panelling and brass (chromed) window surrounds and doors that close nicely. Nev