GRIPES

Phil Perry

2 hours ago, old man emu said:

The written word  is too often a poor form of communication since we also employ sound and body language to clarify what is being said. How many scenes can you create from the sentence "Come in and close the door"?

2 hours ago, nomadpete said:

All true.

I was once told (ironically,it was in a management seminar), that 80% of communication is non-verbal.

• Informative 1

I never learnt that " body language " ,  also missed " child interaction " . 

SO this forum is a ' God send ' even if   I'm a little late arriving. 

Now an " antigripe " .

I had a impressive " compliment " this morning ! ,

A young man ( doing exercises) thought I , was as Old as his father . Was I pleased , at 81 , 

I'm his ' granddads age , and he was impressed with my exercises. 

spacesailor

• Winner 1

Is nothing sacred? I'm going into Dubbo tomorrow to get some building material and do some grocery and chemist shopping. My 97 year-old Mum asked me to get some Pear's soap. Just to find out where I could get it, I googled Woolworths and found it. I also happened to  see that the soap is now made in India by Hindustan Unilever in Mumbai.

The next thing will be that Fairisle jumpers will be made in Bangladesh.

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

Gripe: Supermarkets which do not display the price of products. Today, two instances and a rip off. 

1. They are selling a one kilogram bag of small bananas that are a good size to go into a kid's lunchbox. The size suits me, too, because I like to have a banana in my morning smoothie. I'm certain that there was a price sign for them when  I had a look yesterday, but no sign today. So, go find an employee with a portable scanner. Inconvenience for the employee and me.

2. I also wanted a bag of frozen mixed berries for the smoothie. They had 950 gm and 500 gm bags, but only had the price of the 500 gm bag. That put an end to my attempt to compare per gram price.

Rip-off. In summer, I like a beer at the end of the day. For years I have been drinking a non-alcoholic beer produced by Coopers. Today I grabbed a six-pack and noticed there was no price displayed for them. However there was a price tag showing $9-odd adjacent. I expected to pay around $9. However, when I got home and checked the docket, it showed $11.17. I have too much to do this afternoon to be bothered going back into town (20 kms round trip) to do a price check. The supermarket is not one of the Big Three and seems to base its pricing on the fact that it's 130+ kms  round trip to any of those supermarkets.

The town has billboards with posters urging people to shop locally. Why would you?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

Gripe: Supermarkets which do not display the price of products.

It's a growing trend where I live. The two major supermarkets are guilty of it in multiple stores around the district. Particularly in the last year or two; it's happening more and more all the time. Very frustrating practice.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

My gripe is really bad business websites that tell you absolutely no usable information about their products or services offered. It's as if they are purposely designed to drive potential customers away. They must think all they need is irritating flashy roll-over graphics to rope the suckers in, and very little else. Customers want websites that look like they're designed by  adults of at least average intelligence.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

I work for a large consulting engineering firm, mostly from home these days as we all got set up with the necessary hardware and software during Covid. I use my own PC to link remotely to my office computer. Simple to setup and I could switch screens between my home and office computers with one key press. Everything worked like a charm. Last weekend the firm installed a new VPN system which promptly locked me out of the office system on Monday, Two days of on-line troubleshooting with our IT guys finally resulted in them driving out to my place to set me up with a new laptop and screen. I can now connect to the office with the laptop but no longer with my PC, so I have gone from one computer, one screen, one keyboard and mouse to run everything to two computers, three screens, two keyboards and two mice and the whole lot doesn't work as well as it did before. Apparently this is progress.

...actually three keyboards if I include the laptop's keyboard. 

Edited by rgmwa
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 2

My son works from home on Thursdays and Fridays usually, but when he's on the 10 till 6 shift, he can choose to work from home, like today. He takes his laptop, a full size keyboard and his headphone setup with him each day. On the setup, he has two monitors in addition to te laptop screen with multiple windows spread across all three. He often has online meetings with other staff working in the office or from home. When I was in hospital, he worked from home full ime, so that, in an emergency, he was only 10 minutes from the hospital.

The thing I am finding very annoying is the plastic trays on which all meat is presented at the supermarket. Since they closed their instore meat departments and replaced them with prepackaged meat, these damned trays seem to multiply like wire coathangers in the wardrobe. You can't buy 2 kg of meat, you have to buy 2 x 1kg trays. Steak, chops, snags, burgers, all on plastic trays. 

• Agree 3
  • Sad 1

Gripe of the week, and admittedly, apart from global crises, there hasn't been much to gripe about.

Friday mornings.. Because I know I still have a full day of work to go, while you fellas are entering the weekend!

(Have a good one, by the way, and I know for retirees, it probably has less resonance... )

• Like 1

12 hours ago, old man emu said:

But you can save the planet by recycling them.

10 hours ago, red750 said:

We do.

I really must find the "irony" emoji.

Everything is packaged in cardboard and heat-shrunk acetate sheet. Remember when you could go to a hardware shop and buy nails by weight and nuts and bolts by number? Now you are paying more for the packaging than for the item. Here's an example. These things are called "scrivets". They hold the plastic panels in your car's engine bay together. 

image.jpeg.5ce066acaeb154df07e982405619425e.jpeg This packet costs $7.99.

However, I can buy 20 of these for $5.50 from a panel beating supplies mob.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1
  • Sad 1