Keep your Theist/Atheist arguments here

old man emu

Not fair!

My neighbour's name is Brian. It just so happens that his birthday falls on 25th December (true). So every Xmas I wish him a "Happy Brian's Day" cos everybody forgets what special day it really is. I gave him a beer to celebrate and he WAS happy. And at 62 years of age (and 120kg) he is definitely neither little nor boy.

He's not a messiah either.

So there!

• 2 months later...

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature......opium for the masses"

A statement that sits well with me. And I fully accept that religion is what gets many folk through their day. With only one caveat - 'So long as nobody gets hurt along the way'

Well, if no one minds me slipping slightly into philosophy, I was looking at our old dog Milly last night and pondering her life, and (sometime in the next couple of years), her death.

Now the christians, and probably a few others, are pretty firm on the fact that an eternal "soul" is limited to humankind, and there are no puppy-dogs in the afterlife.

Which, as a concept, may have a tiny smidge of merit if there were something unique about the human animal.

However the scientists (who I trust more than priests, given they work with actual evidence), say that 2.5 million years ago early humans evolved from Australopithecus, an earlier genus of ape. It wasn't a straight line from them to us... there were several other human animals of the genus Homo (no comment Bex) along the way, some of which interbred. People of European extraction, for example, have about 4% of DNA shared with Homo Neanderthalensis (Neanderthals), which is possibly a bit higher in places like Logan...

So the question for the christians is - if animals have no soul, but humans do... when did they get it? At what point do you look at the evolutionary line and say "that's a soulless animal", but a bit further along "that's a human capable of eternal life"?

Which is why, to me, Occam's Razor says "if we're animals, and they're animals, either we've all got eternal souls or none of us have" - and given that the simpler explanation is that we all evolved from simpler life forms and none of this proves the need for a soul, then my view of the matter is that the soul doesn't exist.

It also raises some harsh questions for the religions of the world, given that other species of human previously existed and died out at various points in time, some concurrently with Homo Sapiens (which is another issue - did we kill off our cousins?)

Did Jesus die for the sins of those species too? If man is made in god's image, at which point in history? Presumably god therefore looks like an Australopithecus ape, or some early lemur-type mammal that was our ancient ancestor, or even a single-celled organism floating near a hydrothermal vent?

Or did god only arise when human intelligence evolved to the point where tool use gave them the apex position in the food chain? (Prior to that, did he look like a T-Rex, shark, smilodon, or woolly mammoth?) In which case, I would question the premise that "God created Man", and reverse the subject and object.

End of sermon. Go in peace.

Marty

Your postulations collapse once you realise that evolution is a myth and the universe is only a couple of millennia old. And that God only created all those other creatures for our amusement and exploitation.

Sorry Millie.

But you got it right about Logan.

Sorry Bex

If Atheists don't hold with spiritual beliefs, does that mean they don't believe in the Spirit of Christmas?

I have sex and enjoy it immensely, I can do it without feeling love or that it is purely for the purpose of conceiving, which has only happened 3 times out of thousands.

In the same way I am capable of enjoying Xmas immensely without the need to worship the birth of a child to some trailer park slag named Mary who screams she was raped by a ghost so she could get gullible Joe to pay for the nappies.

And another thing, nobody took issue or identified my original quote....

Karl Marx.

No, I'm not actually a fan of his political theories (Gnu would have my guts for garters for even being able to identify a Marx quote) but that doesn't mean he never wrote stuff which isn't pretty close to the truth.

You got it right there God was a product of the Alpha male, just so that he could control all the others. It is still the same.

When you talk to believers they will always agree with most of what you say, but still say there is a God. The problem I see is that there is no definition of God. It is whatever any believer thinks it is.and belief is just stupid. Why would anyone believe something qwithiout some sort of proof.

Really religion is the biggest insurance scam in the world. It doesn't cost much to get the cover and it probably won't pay out, but you will never know because you will be dead.

Thanks Dutch

The rest of the quote is good too. As you said, one doesn't have to agree with everything Marx said but some of his observations are very good. Same could be said of the bible or quran. But there will always be people unable to take a grain of wisdom without swallowing the load of bs that might be around it.

• 1 month later...
I have sex and enjoy it immensely, I can do it without feeling love or that it is purely for the purpose of conceiving, which has only happened 3 times out of thousands.

In the same way I am capable of enjoying Xmas immensely without the need to worship the birth of a child to some trailer park slag named Mary who screams she was raped by a ghost so she could get gullible Joe to pay for the nappies.

Yeah,. . .that Jesus bloke has a lot to answer for. Just think, if they'd had high quality journalistic Tabloid Newspapers in his time. . . . .

[ATTACH]48703._xfImport[/ATTACH]

813466248_ORGYOFVIOLENCE.thumb.jpg.8f9241fd952f447a2177915a020453f6.jpg

He wouldn't have got away with it in this day and age....

I always wondered about that line in JC Superstar:

"Israel in 4BC had no mass communication...." nor Twitter.....

If they tried it now, it might have turned out different. Mary, Joseph, JC and his followers would be offered housing and social service support........ And nobody would feel sorry about them. End of story.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Getting back to xmas, it was the feast of the winter solstice. They got the day a bit wrong, but that is understandable in bronze-age times.  Maybe they wanted to invoke some divine help to stop making the days even shorter? There is a scandinavian legend about the fimbulwinter which lasts 3 years. This may be a remnant folk memory of an ice age.

Anyway, xmas wasn't the celebration of spring on the way. That feast is easter ( the word is related to estrogen ) . The early christians also hijacked easter for their own ends.

I'd say that by the Bronze Age, the people had a very accurate calendar based on the position of stars and the alignment of the rising Sun with a prominent landmark. The celebrations at the winter solstice were most likely to recognise that the long, dark nights were going to be over. Unless you have experienced sunset at mid-afternoon, followed by sunrise mid-morning, you can't sympathise with our ancient European ancestors. As a matter of fact, I look forward to out summer solstice as a sign that daylight saving is on the way out.