Money

Yenn

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The US president has prescribed powers, but if the Congress isn't under his control there is all sorts of obstruction possible. Fillibustering etc. The republicans have the numbers in both houses. Plenty of Republicans are not too excited about Trump.IF Australia becomes a republic the main change is the house of Windsor will not be providing someone to be our head of state and we won't have a governor General to be her representative. We would presumably have a president but how that person would be elected/ appointed and what power they would hold must be addressed. Do they rank above the leader of the Parliament (lower house) for instance? Nev

Whilst I was a young buck in my twenties working and living in Australia, I remember the fuss when the Governor General of the day dismissed Gough Whitlam in favour of Malcolm Fraser. . . I was not very 'Pollie Conscious' at that time, but I do recall the distress and disturbance when this happened.

"Well may they say God Save the Queen . .because Nothing will save the Governor General" said Mr Whitlam.

I remember the angry reaction from the management of the medium sized graphics company where I worked in Brisbane, ( An old family business ) they were apalled and disgusted at what happened and were less than complimentary with regard to HMQ at the time. 'Interference in the due political process of our country' was the favourite narrative. . . I wonder what happened to Gough's flagship 'Medibank' . .. . is that still working in some form ?

I am soooooo glad we don't have a f*cked-up health system like the US.

What amuses me is people currently using the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and relying on it to get medical treatment.... supporting Trump and his plans to repeal Obamacare.

Because, of course, they're too damn stupid to realise it's the same thing.

Trump seems to be trying to run the country like a family business, appointing all his family to positions that he and they have no idea how to run. All his efforts to get the things he wants done have ended up being stopped by the legal system or congress/senate. Now he's alienated himself from the rest of the world on climate change & failed miserably at the G20, now the G19. Now Junior has bared all in the "Russia thing" to quote the dork. He just lurches from 1 crisis to another. If we had a President I wouldn't be too keen on having one like that. Mind you we do have Tony. He'd have a go.

Donald Trump is the greatest asset for Australians who oppose a presidential-type system. He is a perfect example of what you get when money overcomes democracy.

I am all for an independent Australia, but I'm quite happy to continue living in a constitutional monarchy. I have no problem with having a Head of State who happens to also be the Head of State of another kingdom. [Ooops! I just realised that those words apply equally to having the President of the US of A as President of Australia as much as they do to having the monarch of Great Britain the monarch of Australia.]

Anyway, the British Monarchy has proved itself to be politically stable for over two hundred years, and the present Monarch has shown that the "Firm" can evolve and adapt its place in a modern democratic system and still be a source of continuing stability.

OME

He's making America "GRATE" again with the rest of the world and making it irrelevant in the big scheme of things when it walks away from agreements to get votes (temporarily). The deluded people who voted for him are the last ones likely to get anything from a business billionaire like he is, hailing from a place called "Barbaria". By becoming the USA president he will enhance his own fortunes primarily, and not anyone elses, especially those at the bottom. He is not really a true Republican either, so when he leaves (perhaps unceremoniously) there will be a very damaged party left in his wake..Nev

I am soooooo glad we don't have a f*cked-up health system like the US.

What amuses me is people currently using the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and relying on it to get medical treatment.... supporting Trump and his plans to repeal Obamacare.

Because, of course, they're too damn stupid to realise it's the same thing.

Misinformed might be a more appropriate term, Marty. American democracy has long been distorted to protect the wealthy, but the blatant damage done by Reagan's administration may be unrepairable. The Fairness Doctrine was overturned, so that media empires no longer had to even pretend to report the facts. As a result, most American voters have no idea how much their democracy has been corrupted. Fed a steady diet of carefully crafted propaganda (that Joseph Goebbels would have been proud of) they have divided into warring tribes. Respectful disagreement has given way to outright hatred. They know that Washington has become a swamp infested with alligators, so they elect an outsider to "drain the swamp".

Trouble is, they chose the worst alligator of all.

Fairness Doctrine - Wikipedia

Mainstream American media is now so right wing that independent sources are accused of "fake news" or being communist.

Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting

This is how history should remember Reagan:

[ATTACH]48824._xfImport[/ATTACH]

image.thumb.jpeg.9169cf9fc995ee64f0361e2f3b94f34c.jpeg

We don't have to wait for big business to corrupt our theoretical democracy in Oz. Don't forget our lovely 29th prime minister. When he was only 21, bragged that he would be PM by the time he was 40. Said it doesn't matter which party. It did take a bit longer than that, because he had to get experience in banking first. He set up an investment Bank in the 80's (with Mr Whitlam Jr, and Nev Wran), and was a director and partner in Goldman Sachs. So we have a wealthy ex banker for PM. Oddly, although he knows banking, he resists any investigation into banking practices. Saw a tongue in cheek comment... " I used to be a banker, but I'm ok now. Trust me I'm a politician"

wasn't it Turnbulls running of the republican campaign those few years ago that doomed it to failure. he wanted the head of state to be a political appointment and the voters wouldn't vote yes. It was practically a done deal until Turnbull had his say.

I'm no fan of Turnbull but not sure I'd hang that one on him. The monarchists ran a good campaign of confusing the issue. When that happens the MSM are usually part of it because they have the reach to explain things if they wish to.. It has basis in fact.. The actual power you give (let's call the new person a president for simplicity) makes a large difference as to how the "republic" works. I must confess I don't fully understand the French system but a 'Westminster" system has the winning party supply a leader who leads the government of which the King (or Queen) is the actual Monarch of and RULES the Country (in Theory if little in practice). IF an elected president has the same function as the monarch does I see a confusion and a considerable difficulty.. If my memory serves me correctly this is the "matter" that upset the vote and I would suggest should have till it's sorted. If functioning as the Governor General does ( a "titular head and function and formal occasion ceremonial person) it's not much change from the situation we have now with the GG as the representative of her Majesty in Australia. Nev

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quite what all the fuss is about Australia becoming a republic is still beyond me. Australia has inherited a more or less stable form of government where Australia is now independent, ruled by Australians for (a few of) Australia. A lot of money was spent on indulgence of a few who want the mantle of being a head of their country. It won't change the perception of Australia internationally, it won't open up any new business/trade/diplomatic opportunities (well, maybe Mugabe would be more accepting) and it is doubtful, except for a few, that it will make people feel better or somehow more Australian. Yet it would cost a lot of money, politicise (and introduce childish antics to) a function of state that seems above it (albeit being symbolic). Lots of downsides, little upside. The other option, in my mind would be an appointed indigenous Aussie at the symbolic helm, but that could be patronising and then we'd run into positive discrimination/equal opportunity issues and no doubt accusations of covering up the denial of real support indigenous people need.

A republic would be very shortly followed by "Right hand drive" to conform with the rest of the world.Then what!, the french language. Forced down our throats.

spacesailor

Mais oui! You already speak French. I'm told that every English word ending in "ion" or "ian" is French.

I was in Paris many, many, MANY years ago.. Asked the waiter to translate the day's specials... He translated 3 of the 5 specials (sad I remember to this day); and said of the other two, I would not like them.. Well, to me (who had eaten some pretty questionable stuff throughout oriental Asia by this stage), them they are fighting wods.. A younger waiter translated the last two. One I can't remember (probably, sheeps poo with mint and garlic), the other baked Ox Tongue. Well, my mother used to make it for me when I was a young'un (so almost pre-ice age). When the original farty waiter came to take our order, I ordered the Ox tongue. He was taken aback in is body language and facial language, at which point, I pointed out that the French don't have a monopoly on fine food or wine and that I am from Australia. True story! I am sure he spat on the food, bit who cares...

A few years later, I am a consultant (we con and insult people - not my joke, but Dilbert's) to a famous brand of clothing. They had just purchased their European distributor who was based on gay parree. When I went to the Paris office, I insisted they speak to me in French so I could learn it. It is such a bastardisation of the English language, I failed to grasp even the simplest stuff (however, to be fair, I found a couple of boulongeries that put up with my hand signals and provided some of the most sumptuous food I have tasted). Bur, I have spent a lot less time in Germany, Czech Republic, Brussels and Italy and found picking up their language much easier (for Italy, part in thanks to Franco Cozzo)

At least English is a living language. Who knows how much of the language has its roots in Ancient Gaelic, plus some lingua latinae, then Anglo-Saxon, Norse, Norman (Norse bastardised by contact with the Galls), then additions from Exploration and Empire?

French would seem to have stagnated from its Gallic/Roman roots.

/

Greek is part of English as well. "Living language" seems to mean constant bastardisation. Slang or anything used, goes. Sounds pretty chaotic and will be without form eventually. Hard enough to understand English now without further making it a "just because" do it thing, even more. Nev