2024 Budget

red750

I'm sure Gina Rinehart, Twiggy Forrest, Gerry Harvey, James Packer, Lindsay Fox and the like, not to mention the Qantas and bank CEO's, must be so relieved for the power subsidy. They must have been really strapped to pay their power bill. Thank God I'm not a drinker or a smoker. Driving 20 km per day is pain enough.

• Like 2

If an investor owns 3 rental properties, does he receive 4 x $300 subsidy (his ownn home plus rental properties)?  Who pays the power bills in rental properties? What about Air BnB's?

There is also a report that a number of landlords are putting up the rent by $300 pa., but claim that it's pure coincidence.

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, red750 said:

If an investor owns 3 rental properties, does he receive 4 x $300 subsidy (his ownn home plus rental properties)?  Who pays the power bills in rental properties? What about Air BnB's?

There is also a report that a number of landlords are putting up the rent by $300 pa., but claim that it's pure coincidence.

Landlords don't pay utilities. Usually. 

• Agree 1

I would suggest someone has done the maths and decided it costs more to administer a means-tested system and then combat the attempts at fraud then lining those that don't need it and just let it ride. How many biollionares and cash flow positive millionaires (i.,e. not people who are asset rich and cash poor) do we have as a % of the population.

Of course, they could dor it diffrerently, but, here's the rub.. those uber wealthy people will regail in that $300 as much, iof not more than the pauper just getting by. They love money and it doesn't matter how little or how they come across it.. When I finally get to Aus and see you in a local, let me explain how I know (and no, I am not part of a family or any other dynasty).

• Informative 1

Posted (edited)

you would think as a 32yr old, full time worker. with a mortgage - I would be paying close attention to the budget.

and seeing how it will impact me....

... but I just cant bring myself to look at a summary.

I know I should, and I have in the past.

but I feel like its just going to be more of the same sh!t, with nothing to really make a difference.
I just have zero confidence in this government to make any difference (positive or otherwise)

minister potato-head is certainly not someone I would look up to, and the thought of him as PM gives me chills.

but I cant see this government getting a second term either.

Edited by spenaroo
  • Informative 1

Our current PM makes me feel ill. He is shallow, inconsistent and destroying what Hawke/Keating achieved. I have not been able to look at the budget summaries either for that reason. Mr Potato head is starting to look viable to me, unattractive as he is.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Although I  agree that the leaders of either party are not very inspiring, in the long run it is the party policies behind them that matters most. In recent decades the gap between the big parties has got less, but so far the present mob are not doing too badly overall.

Edited by nomadpete
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Our priminister should have said NO . to splitting the country into a divided nation .

No matter what that party line was .

Lots of staunt Labor suppers have said , as I & my extended family .

Vote an independent in . To shake up the wanker pollies .

spacesailor

PS:  one pollie is using ' social media ' to entertain us us with comedy spoofs. 

spacesailor

• Informative 1

From some of the comments I have heard about the Budget, the theatrics of presenting it to Parliament, followed by the Opposition response and then all the hangers-on saying that it didn't do enough for their special interest group, sound like a rehash of the rearrangement of the deck chairs on the Titanic

Don't forget that the Budget is the same as the expense planning that any sound enterprise, profit or non-profit, should undertake. This year more money came in than the Government planned to pend when it formulated the 2032/24 Budget. That gave the Treasury a surplus. For the 2024/25 Budget, the Government is expecting a deficit. 

I don't mind a deficit budget if the deficit arises from contemporary borrowings to be used for bricks and mortar community programmes, or to provide training and employment. However if spending on "Look what we are doing. Aren't we great" advertising and knee-jerk responses leads to a deficit, then "I'm aginst it. Whatever it is, I'm aginst it."

As for a Labor leader, I think Penny Wong has earned the right to be offered the job. She's been pretty steady in the way she handles Foreign Affairs. However, I think that she is too astute to accept the poisoned chalice.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Shallow and Inconsistent describe pretty much everything that comes out of Voldemort's mouth.  

I don't think Albo and his government have done too badly.  Are there things I didn't agree with?  Of course.  But on the whole I'd rate them a solid 7/10.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1