One Time to Rule Them All

16 minutes ago, nomadpete said:

Changing the yardstick doesn't change anything

But everyone will be using the same yardstick (if you live in the USA, Myanmar or Liberia), or the same metre rule if you live anywhere else.

I'm feel like pulling out of this discussion. I proposed something and provided some support material. Noone has provided realistic material to support a rebuttal of the proposal. It seems that Sun worship is still holds sway over the realities of the 21st Century, 24/7 existence that has become the norm.

Sun worship is based on circadian rythm, which regulates the body.

Your suggestion would simplify the labelling of time, but would have no useful connection with (most) human activities. Animals are instinctively more regulated by their daily light cycle.

I personally have little use for 'time of day' except for knowing when the shops are open, or if I need to talk to rellies in England - as I prefer to talk to them when they are awake - ie, not in middle of the night. I am mostly regulated by daybreak and sundown.

The sun should be at it's highest at mid day and no correspondence will be entered into. That's the way it is.  We are a WORLD connected these days so lets get smart and use a 24 Hour time reference. Not AM and PM. (just for starters)  You could fudge an hour if your location is isolated.. Long twilight is a feature of high latitudes  because the sun peeps around the edge the closer you get to the Pole ,but you get short days in Winter. In the tropics the Sun. sinks fast.  Nev

19 minutes ago, pmccarthy said:

When it’s winter in Australia, is the sun in the north or the south of the sky?

It all depends on your Point of Reference. Because of the tilt of the Earth's axis from the from the plane of its orbit around the sun, an observer in Australia would see the sun transit the horizon to the north of its transit on the equinox during winter.

(I think).

image.jpeg.88deeea1b5f4cc92b31e863d7a9f19a0.jpeg

8 hours ago, spacesailor said:

But .It's a crazy sensation,  when driving north , from Sydney to  Cairns. 

That sun suddenly is behind you .

spacesailor

Quite true Spacey. Sun is in the south in summer northern Australia.

• Agree 1

23'5 degrees south is the tropic of Capricorn. where it is directly above in mid summer at Mid day.  That's as far South as it ever gets isn't it?. I think I got it wrong in a previous Post.. Nev

Edited by facthunter
more content.
  • Agree 1

In the Northern Hemisphere,  the sun is ' Down South ' , 

Coming to Australia is bewildering to say the least. 

Getting lost easily , as  the sun is " rising. SE in the morning " in Europe .

So getting out of bed . Sydney Sun is on right not your left .

spacesailor

It's kinda funny when you see these posts on Snap-Chat, X, et al, from travellers or expats from USA saying how they don't understand what's going on in Australia. Easter in autumn (fall to them), Christmas in summer, and all sorts of hemispherical references, and how you can arrive before you depart sometimes. Just shows their level or lack thereof, of education.

• Agree 2

When I watch some "how dumb are they?' videos, I have to stop and remember that a lot of the people they are asking are not out of their twenties. In other words, the 20th Century is in fact the distant past. Their history is not the current affairs that a lot of us lived through. Just look at the photos in "Who is it?". Most of us don't see in them the young person whose face we learned. 

Why would any young person know about Holt's disappearance, or the Dismissal. Even some of us confuse what Keating or Hawke did.  Let's face it. we are getting old.