Phones

A lot of people will have to get new phones before the end of June. To make calls using the Telstra network, from that date on, phones must be 5G capable or 4G with Voice over LTE (VoLTE) capability. A 4G phone without VoLTE capability will still be able to send and receive data, but won't be able to make or receive voice calls. My old Samsung Galaxy S5 will have to go; I'll miss that old phone for it's simplicity and compact size.

• Sad 1

My biggest concern is trying to find a phone that will comfortably fit in pockets and in the hand. A lot of them now are so long they always feel like they're trying to escape from trouser side pockets. So many people these days use their phones as internet and media devices that the designs are getting longer and wider. I just need one I can work with and carry in pockets without always feeling like it's going to fall out. I bought a new Nokia a while back and only used it for a month before parking it up for mainly that reason (size too big). I recommissioned the old S5 after that and am still using it.

• Like 1

My S5 died .

For no reason.  Then my. Galaxy died as well .

No one can get the stored information out of them .

So do we burn them to ' safeguard ' our I for.

The tablet has no HD & uses a new type of memory chip, with a limited cycles. 

spacesailor

• Informative 1

I have Onetrack's problem. My neweish phone is too long for any of my pockets and keeps trying to leap onto the pavement.

Clothing simply isn't made to accommodate new phones. All my 'tradie clothing - pants, coats,etc, all have phone pockets in them - made just right for last year's phones.

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1

I checked my iPhone 6 and found it will receive 4G data but not VoLTE, so looks like I'm up for a replacement. My sons update regularly so they might have an suitable one they are not using. If not, refurbished iPhone 8's are being advertised around $200. My daughter might be in a similar situation. I might keep this one as a pocket camera or mount it as a dashcam. I'd need to get a mount. I had one which broke, and have trialed the phone as a dashcam.

• Informative 1

3 minutes ago, red750 said:

I checked my iPhone 6 and found it will receive 4G data but not VoLTE, so looks like I'm up for a replacement. My sons update regularly so they might have an suitable one they are not using. If not, refurbished iPhone 8's are being advertised around $200. My daughter might be in a similar situation. I might keep this one as a pocket camera or mount it as a dashcam. I'd need to get a mount. I had one which broke, and have trialed the phone as a dashcam.

I happen to have an old Iphone 6, what app do you use to turn it into a dashcam?

• Informative 1

All I did was mount it in one of those suction phone mounts stuck to the window, and run a power cord to the fag lighter. Start the video as you start off. I must admit when I tested it, I didn't run it for long, but if you back up all your photos and clear the internal storage, it should run for a reasonable time. Most of my trips are less than 20 minutes, so if there are no incidents, it is easy to delete unwanted video.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 2

7 minutes ago, red750 said:

run a power cord to the fag lighter.

I'm offended by your homophobic hate suggestion. Apologise and withdraw it, or my pronouns won't accept the person known as Red750's pronouns.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, red750 said:

You've never had a packet of fags? 

Nah. I used to roll me own.

I was attending a course at a university in the USA which was filled with Yanks, as well as another Aussie and a New Zealander. At the start of a break between lectures the three of us were talking inside to a few of the Yanks when I said that I was going outside for a fag. That stunned the Yanks.

• Haha 1

A tech person was being interviewed on the ABC radio today and she said up to a million people could be affected. That's a lot of new phone sales. I might start looking for a new one now and get in before the rush.

16 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

The million people are just going back to the world we all lived in until twenty years ago.

But twenty years ago we had landlines, 000 answered the calls and things called phonebooths were everywhere.

The service guarantee was real not a corporate lie.

• Like 1

I am not sure 1m people being without mobile phones is going to take them back 20 years. Firstly, today's societal ills will still be here, they will probably find accessing many services more difficult if they are not excluded from them, as a result.. services they may have had ready access to in earlier days. So, maybe it would take them all the way back to the war years or something.. Was there less corruption and greed 20 years back? No way. Its just people are less willing to punish those who facilitate it. And the press, which have corporate interests, have moulded most of us to be ideological nutjobs one way or another.

I was originally a Luddite when mobile phones came out.. but now I wouldn't be without one. I can connect to the world from almost anywhere for £20/month unlimited. Add £5/month and I get roaming in most countries I would visit.

Sadly, particularly the older people get left behind with technology (my mother is a good example). When I was at Bendigo Bank, I laughed when they said they still operated [expensive] passbook accounts.. but they reminded me very quickly elderly people rely on them...

Sadly our cultural changes are not the product of a mobile phone,

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

7 hours ago, Litespeed said:

But twenty years ago we had landlines, 000 answered the calls and things called phonebooths were everywhere.

The service guarantee was real not a corporate lie.

We can thank privatisation for that.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

I received a text this morning advising that flu shots for five year olds were now available. I will be 80 later this year, my youngest is 44, and I have no grandkids. 

Please explain.

Note- not generic, addressed to my first name.

• Informative 1

7 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

I am not sure 1m people being without mobile phones is going to take them back 20 years.

They won't be without phone service; they just have to upgrade and buy new phones that are either 5G or 4G+VoLTE capable. 4G phones without VoLTE capability will still be able to send and receive data but not voice calls.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

You need a new phone! .

A little off topic .

J A. Said , some will find many services more difficult. 

I went to pay my  NRMA  account in Parramatta. 

But they don't take cash !.

I then put my wallet away, & said ," can I at least cancel my membership" . 

The look was dangerous ,  to say the least .

Question,  how do they repay your cancelled insurance policy refund .

without cash . Or is it money in their pocket .

Not a bad rort .

spacesailor