Tax Cuts

willedoo

It's looking like Dutton and Co's Noalition might be a bit out of step. I don't know how accurate or unbiased an Australia Institute poll is, but here's their results of a poll on the proposed stage 3 tax cut amendments:

The poll of 1,004 voters, conducted from Tuesday to Monday, found that 58% are in favour of restructuring the stage-three tax cuts so middle- and low-income earners receive more.  16% of voters wanted to keep the stage-three tax cuts in their current form. A further 17% want to scrap the stage-three cuts entirely.

Those earning more than $200,000 were more likely to support revamping the tax cuts (49%) than want to keep them unchanged (32%).

A majority (55%) of Coalition voters supported restructuring stage three, with just one quarter (25%) saying to keep them as legislated by the Morrison government in mid-2019.

Almost two-thirds of voters (65%) said it was more important to adapt economic policy “to suit the changing circumstances even if that means breaking an election promise” compared with one quarter (24%) who favoured “keeping an election promise regardless”.

Added to that, an analysis released by the office of the treasurer found 85% of taxpayers in Liberal and National electorates will be better off under Labor’s plan. The proposed amendments will halve the tax cut for those earning more than $190,000 from $9,000 to $4,500. That group seem to be the biggest losers, but another way of looking at it is that they will still be $4,500 better off than they are now.

• Informative 1
  • Winner 1

Dutton never was the most liked person....

But this might be a time to accept rather then rail against the government,

its not going to do them any favor's to oppose this purely out of spite being in opposition 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

IT was a wedge designed 5 years ago and NOW  LABOR, by suitably modifying it in a way experts approve of to avoid making it more inflationary seems to have Paid off. I can't see how Dutton CAN oppose it without denying many in his electorates the benefits of it. Inflation  is falling. The stock markets are healthy. WE might even be due for an interest rate REDUCTION, from the Reserve Bank Board. Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I think this may be a more balanced view on the stage 3 tax cuts than is available through most media outliets, including Aunty. And while, shoudl I finally get out to Aus this year, I may have benefied from the Stage 3 tax cuts originally legislated (let's not forget - about 5 years ago), even a few more $ in those who need it and less in those that generally do not would be OK by me. But, while the LNP ha put Labor into a wedge, Albo does not help himself in the end, although I do get why he has to make almost extreme but hollow promises, such is the bias of the MSM.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1

His excuse: I was taking a medication that had a warning not to consume alcohol while using the medication. I didn't take that advice.

Fair enough, but how much alcohol do you have to consume for a medication to affect your balance mechanism? I bet it's not a single refreshing glass with a hearty meal.

• Like 1

That entire Pary has gone to the  DOGS but there's more of them than Libs. The QLD situation is different again. WHO actually Knows what they stand FOR OIL. Coal and GAS I reckon. Barnaby has land near the Pilliga. Inland rail and gas extraction. Gorgeous GINA likes him Good reTAIL politician.. they say.    Nev

• Like 1

I don't believe the Parliamentary bar is free - but they get paid so much more than anyone else, the price of grog doesn't bother them. The bigger concern is how freely grog is available in their workplace.

Below is a comment from a letter writer to the SMH. This says plenty about the quality of the booze-affected decision-making in Parliament.

"Parliament House is the only place I have worked that has a bar selling full-strength grog each working day (“One out of three staff sexually harassed”, December 1). It is also de rigueur for ministerial offices to have a fridge filled with wine, beer and “what’ll you have love?”.

I have certainly seen ministers and staff affected by alcohol during working hours. This would be cause for termination of employment in other workplaces, but in Parliament House comment about the wisdom of having alcohol in the workplace tends to get you labelled a wowser. Kim McKenzie, Girards Hill"

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

22 hours ago, facthunter said:

I would think the Bars in Parliament  operate like any other They are open to the public and I've gone there myself to meet people who work in the Parliament.  Nev

Very different to the bars in the UK Houses of Parliament.

I now have a reason to visit Canberra...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

How is it that governments can legislate that mining companies have to pay aboriginal land councils to extract ores but the government won't legislate to make mining companies pay the Nation for the ores they are profiting from? 

Oh! I forgot. The mining companies also are part of the conglomerate of corporations that runs the governments.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

Pensions are generally indexed with inflation..  Nev

But prices are not. Don't forget that the published CPI lags behind the calendar by several months and that CPI increases run a poor third. Prices are home and hosed before pensions enter the straight.

• Agree 1