How do we get more people to use Public Transport in urban/suburban areas?

That is a case to use uber. You can't drive your own car if you intend to have a drink or two. Most significant Melbourne roads  radiate out from the City Centre like the spokes of a wheel as do the rail lines and trams.  Nev

• Like 1

Yep inter suburb is nearly always a more difficult proposition.  On that trip, I would go by car.  On my trip from Geelong to the city driving by car is massively inconvenient and time-consuming taking up to 40 minutes longer by car without considering searching for a park.  It will never be possible to provide mass transit to every point in a city from any other point.   

Imagine if the 450000 passengers transported per day by metro rail suddenly decided to drive, it would be traffic chaos.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

Motorcycles are licensed! .

Why can't the bureaucrats licence Escooters. 

spacesailor

Maybe because the bureaucrats fear having a duty of care to provide a safe pathway/roadway for the escooters. Although escooters have great potential to provide personal transport, they do not mix safely with pedestrians, nor with cars/trucks/buses.

• Like 1

Excepting speed .

Escooter Seem safer mingling with pedestrians,  than Bicycles, 

With their rotating pedals , pointy brake-levers .& stupid arrogant riders .

Catch someone's " Varicose veins " as you weave between people , who don't jump out of ' your ' road . And you could KILL an Oldie .

spacesailor

Spenaroo, there's PT involving just 2 buses (733 & 800) and a fairly direct route from Box Hill to Dandenong - but Google says it takes 1hr 31mins, whereas it's 26 mins in a car.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Box+Hill,+Victoria+3128/Dandenong,+Victoria+3175/@-37.9022241,145.0340657,12z/am=t/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x6ad640a5542b19f7:0x5045675218cd900!2m2!1d145.1238563!2d-37.8181073!1m5!1m1!1s0x6ad613fe1cf71e9f:0x5045675218cdf80!2m2!1d145.2139907!2d-37.9847811!3e3?entry=ttu

Edited by onetrack

8 minutes ago, nomadpete said:

Maybe because the bureaucrats fear having a duty of care to provide a safe pathway/roadway for the escooters. Although escooters have great potential to provide personal transport, they do not mix safely with pedestrians, nor with cars/trucks/buses.

We need to facilitate the use of "micro transport"  It does have great potential.  Some other countries are way ahead on this. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

stupid arrogant riders

Do you mean me?   The majority of riders do not fall into this category. I find riding around daily that the majority of motorists are pretty kind and respectful.  I have had the odd person pull out of a driveway in front of me and one near "dooring" but I don't cast aspersions on a whole group of people. There are a small percentage of stupid and arrogant people among car drivers, bike riders, mobility scooter users, and pedestrians.

• Agree 2

One local car-hating council is trying to get people to use e-scooters by introducing a 12 month trial of e-scooter hire with a company called Neuron.

https://www.vincent.wa.gov.au/residents/environment/environmental-sustainability/active-transport/e-scooter-trial.aspx

The company has located serious numbers of these e-scooters around the councils suburbs, and the idea behind them is good in some ways, but I haven't seen too many people using them, and they need to be strictly controlled and monitored against vandalism, hooliganism, and theft.

I believe the canals and rivers of many European countries are full of stolen, dumped bicycles, along with other rubbish - all caused by mindless vandalism and hooliganism - which destroys many good ideas. More severe punishment for this type of destruction must be the answer.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/jul/28/bicycle-graveyards-why-do-so-many-bikes-end-up-underwater

Here is the proposed route for the Suburban Rail Loop Section 1. Still a long way from Dandenong. You'd have to change trains at Clayton. From the SRL website, "Construction started in June 2022 and trains will be running by 2035.", but going by other Dan Andrews projects, trains might start running in 2050.

SRLStage1.thumb.jpg.804377e7e57ff1531cdf87fbcce381ca.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, onetrack said:

I believe the canals and rivers of many European countries are full of stolen, dumped bicycles, along with other rubbish

I think if you look a cities like Amsterdam and Utrecht they have been extremely successful with micro and bike use.  I am all for making some city streets pedestrian and bike/scooter-friendly.  In the Netherland kids and old people are just as likely to be out cycling together and that cant be a bad thing.

• Informative 1

There is often resistance to any change in the balance between car and all other modes of transport.     Here in Geelong, the forward-looking council has narrowed one road that goes through town to have trees more pedestrian areas, and a bike lane.  This has massively improved this road.  people have come back to it because it is now pleasant.  Parking has been built on the side streets.

I remember in Adelaide many many years ago to resistance to Rundle Mall.  Now of course no one would advocate tearing it up.       

The thing is making cities better for people also improves the situation for motorists. The Netherlands is considered to be the best country for driving.

• Informative 1

Large wheels,  puts the rider up higher , therefore more dangerous.

AND  at a much higher speed than the Max 20 kph private Escooter speed . ( hired escooter is 25 kph ).

top " bicycle speed "  is 296 kph outdoors

And over 300 kph Indoors. 

spacesailor

One of the things that really gets up my nose is the massive proliferation of speed bumps in so many streets today. I'm sure these people who install them lie awake at night figuring out more ways to project their hatred of cars onto poor motorists. 

The authorities build excellent roads, then these idiots totally f*** them up with dozens and dozens of speed bumps - all costing millions, and making travel a misery for anyone with a vehicle.

What is worse, it does nothing for residents, because commercial vehicles go over the bumps and anything in the vehicle gets thrown up and then down again, making constant bashing noises for local residents!

Then there's plenty of people with crook backs who must suffer dreadfully as cars bounce over these arrogant impositions on driving. If I was King, I would make a law to remove all these massive obstructions to travel, and jail all the car-hating councillors for wasting ratepayers money.

The worst gutser I ever came was coming a cropper on a Z50-J Honda motorbike - which had 10" wheels! I was riding across a paddock at about 50kmh with my lunchbox balanced on the fuel tank, and as I came to a headland in the paddock workings, there were ridges in the clayey ground from the seeder from the previous Winter (it was mid-Summer and after harvest, and I was riding through the stubble).

The front wheel caught in the ridges, and the slippery straw aided the front tyre to shoot out from under me, as I did a modest turn! I came a real gutser without a shred of warning! The bike went one way, I went the other way, and my lunchbox spread its contents all over the paddock!! Luckily I wasn't going too fast (the ZJ-50's were flat out about 55kmh), so no physical injury, just a good shakeup!

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

18 minutes ago, onetrack said:

the massive proliferation of speed bumps

You are supposed to slow down to 20 kph over these. There are a number to types in our area.

Speed table.

speedtable.thumb.jpg.e13d8404669b6f0391b6e999229cf59b.jpg

split speed humps.

splitspeedhumps.thumb.jpg.5fbcf1d1274abd9349bf3b308265351a.jpg

Car park humps

Carparkhumps.thumb.jpg.62a1d129b858a220a55ee13d516470f1.jpg

• Informative 1