Celebrating Positives (offset of the Gripes Thread)

Jerry_Atrick

My positive:-

Today I can move in with my wife!

We flew home from Qld a week ago and SWMBO must have inhaled the wrong person's exhalation.

Came down with covid. So for a week I have been sleeping in the spare room and spending all day playing in the yard.

Today her RAT has only one red line and I have avoided a second bout of covid!

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

I have had a problem with my bike's carby float. It would not shut off the inlet valve and so kept overflowing. I gave up all hope of fixing it myself and bought a complete float and bowl assembly. It was one of those "out of the box, onto the bike and go" deals. Except it wasn't. Overflowed like crazy. Luckily I located a bloke in Dubbo who knew Harleys and took it to him.

Called him this morning and was told that the float and lever had been assembled upside down, which is why it wasn't working. $100 for his trouble, which is well worth the price of freedom from anxiety. I'll pick it up on Friday, and with a new battery fitted, should be able to finally fire it up on Saturday, nearly 18 months since it last ran.

You watch it rain all weekend!

• Like 4

My major happy moment for the day....

I discovered how tocancel autocorrect on my phone - it is hidden under the LANGUAGE  settings!

Now I will have to take the rap for my typos - can't blame autocorrupt any more. Hooray!

• Winner 1

Nev, this was an upper tooth, the one behind an incisor. Interestingly, the teeth come close to the sinus cavities, and there is normally a thin section of bone between the sinus cavity and the tooth.

However (and the dentist explained this previously), if the bone section between the tooth and the sinus cavity is damaged, and a hole made in that section, you have major problems in that your sinuses and mouth become connected, and you could attempt to blow your nose and air would blow out the gap into your mouth - or you could take a drink and when you closed your mouth, the liquid would travel through the gap, into your sinuses.

This was the reason the dentist was fearful of digging in to get the tooth root out, she said it was possible the pressure involved in the root extraction could push the tooth root through into the sinus cavity - and that was why she sent me to the oral surgeon.

The oral surgeon explained that if a hole developed between the tooth area and the sinus cavity during root extraction, they would then need to do a bone graft in the area to close the hole.

He carefully outlined on the X-rays how some of the teeth had a good thickness of bone in this tooth/sinus area - but my incisor tooth is huge, and the root of it actually projects right into the sinus cavity.

He said this was typical of where they would run into problems, and removing a tooth like my incisor would then result in a need for a bone graft. This whole business of oral surgery is quite amazing.

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

Nomadpete, there's nothing like finding a new hidden menu on a tech device to make your day! I'm sure the programmers do this on purpose, like setting puzzles for us to solve!

I also have a major win on the tech front menu to report, too! Both SWMBO and myself have been frustrated with our relatively new phones (hers, Samsung A54, and mine, a Motorola Edge 30 Fusion), in that you can't seem to delete unwanted portions of a text message - you appear to only be able to delete the entire message thread.

So on Tuesday afternoon, while on light duties, I started fiddling with my text message controls, to try and find out where all the hidden tricks are.

What I can report, is that I found you CAN delete portions of a text message, without deleting the entire thread!

This involves placing your finger over the text message portion you desire to delete (such as "you missed a call" text notification), pressing and holding until the the text is highlighted - which then brings up a new menu of icons above the text message - which menu contains a trash can icon! Tap the trash can icon, and the highlighted text is deleted, leaving the rest of the thread intact!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dentist/butcher that pulled 2 wisdom teeth from me, sat on my chest pulling with pliers and breaking them up with a drill/jackhammer. 2 weeks before my first ever cruise. I had a piece of bone go rotten in my gum, it worked itself to the top when I was on a tender boat. When I flicked it out with my tongue it was the most rotten smelling thing I had ever smelt. Healed up real quick after it was gone.

I do not envy you having dental work like that one track.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

Interestingly, the researchers have found out that people with rotten teeth, who won't do anything about them (usually because of dentist fear and cost), are at much higher risk of heart disease.

Apparently the bacteria in rotten teeth affect your heart valves and lead to higher rates of cardiovascular problems.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/gum-disease-and-the-connection-to-heart-disease

The positive news for today is my stitched-up gum is healing rapidly, and is giving me no problems - and I've also nearly completed a new laundry trough and associated tiling installation in the laundry, with a satisfactory degree of success.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

You impudent young pup!

I ride occassionally (velocopede or motorcycle). I firmy believe in 'use it or lose it', right down to 'jog across to the shed while you still  can'.

I'm only a decade older than you Octave and I'm sure there are other forumites more senior than me. We are still here precisely because we are 'keeping on because we can'.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Glad you're alright, squire.

As the fella who is Mongrel Dog Productions on Youtube said "I would rather meet death head on"

I'm old enough to know I'd rather not meet anything head on.

• Agree 1