Celebrating Positives (offset of the Gripes Thread)

Jerry_Atrick

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I had a little positive today. Taunton is the nearest major town and let's say it isn't the best serviced town, beside being the market town of Somerset. But, I decided I was gettig back into cycling after watching some fantastic vids on YT, and gave the bike and its accessories a once-over. Dang it, the front light wasn't coming to life for love nor money, including changing out the bulb... and I couldn't find my gloves. Bloody kids were playing with them as few years ago (for a long time, I have only done fair weather cycling). There is a branch of the Bicycle Chain; a chain of more upmarket bikes and accessories/parts. M previous light was suitable for the well lit streets of London, but around here, I want a high quality bright light (angled down, of course). I settled on a Cateye AMPP1100 - 1,00 Lumens and I can say, it is bloody bright. I got some brand named windproof gloves with gel palm liners for that inevtiable spill. ll my other kit works fine, and I am surprised all my high-vis gear stiull fits - just.. No lycra, though gents, so no need to spit out your morning porridge at the vision.

Well, the light was marked at £80, and the gloves £35. Not cheap at all, but what price safety? So, I took them to the counter, and the sales assistant mentioned, without any prompting that they do price matching, and did I have proof of a better price. I said I didn't, but of course, I would not begrudge a discount. He then pulled out his phone, looked up the internet for prices on the light and the gloves, showed them to me and saif, "Thanks sir.. we will do the lights ofr £63 and the gloves for £30; Now, it may well be in their repetroire to do this, but given the bloke next to me was buying a bike close to a small ICE car's price, something tells me they don't need to. Didn't make my day, per se, but will defo go back for the first refusal when I need more things.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

Posted (edited)

BTW,  this is the fourth episode of a seies of biking the Mawson trail that got me back into it:

And, what an advernture this looks like:

Edit.. And no, I am notone of those commie riders...

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1
  • Informative 2

What a great day I had today. Despite the reports of foul weather over the country, we had a gin clear winter day today.

A small bike ride to blow the cobwebs away and test the new light - and my word it is bright..

Then muych a resting day, but we met some friends at their new place for a combined dog walk and tea. We haven't seen them, nro the outher couple that were invited for some time, and it was perfect weather... the dogs all got on beautifully (mine took a particular liking to a bitch who wasn't on heat, but couldn't have been too far from it). Then back to a cosy livving room for some tea and cake (well, I don't drink tea or coffee, so it was some freshly squeezed lemonade).

Doesn't get much better that that.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Despite the reports of foul weather over the country, we had a gin clear winter day today.

I haven't heard of a gin clear day before. As distinct from a Scotch mist, or a wine-dark sea?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1