Have we spawned a new human subspecies, Homo sapiens elumbus?

old man emu

1 hour ago, octave said:

The chart that Nomadpete posted perhaps

The chart came from a aljazeera news article. It included ALL education, I think including trade education.

In my own case, as a lowly tradesman, I did a four year trade certificate which was 70% actual training. For the next 45 years I easily averaged a month per year of classroom training to keep up with technology.

So, for me, about 7 years of formal learning post highschool without going to university. At least 17 years school and education.

• Informative 1

Further to the chart which was part of a discussion on who spends the most on education ( not on the quality of it).

"A child spends 12.8 years on average at school or university, according to the United Nations Development Programme. This includes primary, secondary, post-secondary non-tertiary and tertiary education as well as years spent on repetition."

And in answer to OME'S QUESTION....

YeS we have a new subspecies of Sapiens. We call them.....

Millennials

• Like 1

1 hour ago, octave said:

Yep

School education is for 13 years, divided into:

• primary school for 7 or 8 years, from kindergarten or preschool to year 6 or 7
  • secondary school for 3 to 4 years - years 7 to 10 or years 8 to 10
  • senior secondary school for 2 years - years 11 and 12.

I just checked Queensland's current compulsory pre-schooling. In 2017, they made a prep year before grade one compulsory, so that would add up to 13 years. In Queensland primary school is now  prep year + grade 1 to grade 6, high school is grade 7 to grade 12. School is compulsory from age 6.5 to 16 or completion of grade 10, whichever comes first. In my day you could leave school at 15 regardless of which grade. My older sister was the last in my family to do grade 8 at primary school. After that, primary school went to grade 7 for many decades, then changed to grade six a couple of years ago.

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, octave said:

But 23 per cent and 10 per cent were in the “developing” and “needs additional support” levels

This is clearer if written this way: But 23 per cent were in the “developing” level,  and 10 per cent were in the “needs additional support” level. 

Hanging "respectively" way off at the end of the sentence demands that the reader go back to see which number is attached to which classification. When we read, we don't automatically re-read if we have been given that warning word once the idea expressed in the sentence has been delivered.

By the way, a child can be a whizzo in subjects like English, reading, music but only "developing" the skills for maths or science, vice versa. It doesn't mean that the quality of the instruction provided has been below standard, or that the child is a dullard. Who of us is expert in all fields of human knowledge?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, octave said:

The News.com article then groups together "developing" with "needs additional support"   I would suggest that these 2 categories are lumped together in order to get an overly negative headline.  The headline could surely be "Ten percent of students need additional support."

Good grief, why would anyone treat Murdoch’s press as a reliable source. Expect headlines screaming that 50% of students are below average!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Maybe adopt a behaviour tax.. The worse the kids behaviour, the more tax the parents pay.. Soon would see an improvement in behaviour.

Or could do it the other way around - the better behaved the kids do and the better grades they get, the less tax the parents pay (or more welfare they get).. as the kids are less likely to be a burden on society...

.. :amazon:

Very, very right wing of me, I know ;-))

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

44 minutes ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Maybe adopt a behaviour tax.. The worse the kids behaviour, the more tax the parents pay.. Soon would see an improvement in behaviour.

Or could do it the other way around - the better behaved the kids do and the better grades they get, the less tax the parents pay (or more welfare they get).. as the kids are less likely to be a burden on society...

I think this is now policy in China.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

I would use suspension from school as a punishment for bad behaviour.

Yep. Shift the workload to the Police who would have to deal with the increase in unruly behaviour by young people wandering the streets through want of useful activity. At least the Police would be freed somewhat from attending to domestic disputes amongst the young people's equally incompetent progenitors.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Maybe Right Wing, but pretty much the policy the Communist Party has implemented across China.

• Agree 3

• 1 month later...

I  have a mate who says that ww2 has, sadly.  given us the stupid  idea of a "just" war, and I always thought of it like this. I can be as stupid as the next guy.

For example, I reckon declaring war on Hitler was the correct thing to do.

But ww1 was a different matter, and Germany didn't deserve to be treated so badly after the "loss" that they turned to Hitler.

Here's some trivia about the start of ww1: The poms were NOT WANTED as they were on the nose in Europe after the Boer War. They invented concentration camps in the modern world.

They were lucky to be allowed into all the fun.

The stupidity of the Germans in allowing their allegiance with Austria to overcome their common-sense is impressive , but I do believe the historian guy

who said that germany ( 30% ) was not nearly as responsible for WW1 as the poms were, at 60%. Germany wanted out in 1915 but the poms were having too much fun.

Edited by Bruce Tuncks
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

It's hard for somebody who grew up on Enid Blyton and then Biggles to be anti-pom. They is us so to speak.

I really felt at home in London, and I almost forgave them for the nasty ordeal at Heathrow, where Australians had to line up with dusky  turban-wearing undesirables, while  greeks walked right in.