Have we spawned a new human subspecies, Homo sapiens elumbus?

old man emu

U are not so silly nev. In the Boer war, the negros supported the poms as they were a lot better than the dutch.

As regards the current voice debate, I wonder if the Aborigines would have had it so good if another lot got here before the poms. Choose between Dutch, Spanish, Portugese French and German.

One of the things about Darwin is how he decided that mankind was another animal when he went on punitive sorties in the Argentine. He was shocked at the behaviour of the soldiers he went with.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

The poms of yesteryear were not a savoury lot, but in reality, none of the Europeans, nor manu, if any of the rest of the world were, either. And while England profited from the slave trade in Afriica, they apparently weren't used in England, and there is evidence that Admiral Nelson employed black sailors and paid them the same as whites; and they were treated more or less the same (which wasn't terribly great I suspect).

These days, the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg are, thankfully fairly few and far between. A lot of the hereditary high class can't afford to be; there are a few that remain fabulously wealthy, such as the royals and the Duke of Westiminster (who virtually owns all of Westminster), but most have, *sadly*, had to sell their castles and move on. When I came to the UK in late '96, I was very surprised to see a few castles up for sale at what looked like knock down prices. Most are Grade I listed, which meant big biccies to maintain and refusbish, but many are now making their new owners bog £ as wedding venues. For example, Clearwell Castle (https://www.clearwell-castle.co.uk/). The original lords/earls could not afford to do the work so sold it on.

• Informative 1

Well, to be pedantically precise, there was never any Act that abolished the Slave trade in Britain itself. However, the Slave Trade Act of 1807, banned the use of British ships in the Slave trade.

https://www.rmg.co.uk/stories/topics/how-did-slave-trade-end-britain#:~:text=Three years later%2C on 25,people in the British Empire.&text=Today%2C 23 August is known,Slave Trade and its Abolition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_Trade_Act_1807

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

The CAST system in INDIA perpetuates it there.  Depressing wages  deliberately improves on it. You don't have to feed clothe or house desperate low paid people. They can  live on the tips or have rotten lives because they are obviously not favoured by god according to the Pentecostal's. Nev

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

We are indeed a new species as we have the new ability unknown on planet earths history from any species before including homo sapiens sapiens.

We can not just succeed in our local environment but dominate it on a global scale. We can literally change the planets ecosphere from the bottom of the sea to the highest mountain and all the atmosphere. We have even modified our atmosphere to the point ice caps melt as we heatup the planet.

We can even leave our own planet and get a outside view.

We can fly but have no wings.

We are the fastest species on the planet and off it.

We can dive to the bottom of the Ocean and sometimes return or make a great story about dying with a billionaire fool.

We can even destroy any species and change any environment from a distance, never ever leaving the other side of the planet or even thinking about it.

We can even talk and see each other from anywhere on the planet like telepathic Aliens.

We have even been able to change the planet into a new epoch called the Anthropocene as we have modified the earth so much in less than a lifetime our our new species. 1950 is the start of the Anthropocene and the end of the Holocene.

We have "god" like super powers of terraforming a  planet, even when we don't notice.

We even can kill all life on the planet at will, like a angry god. Just a fool and a red button and the planet burns.

We are Homo sapiens perses, which I  named after the Greek god of destruction aka the ravager.

Or Homo sapiens destructus 

Or Homo sapiens technics 

We may think we are just like our ancestors pre the industrial age but we are not, we augment our abilities like a sci-fi human cyborg at will through technologies, in fact I am doing that right now.

Our superpowers are actively killing the planet and as a collective hive we seem to accept that knowledge and keep running off the extinction cliff.

Maybe we should be called 

Homo sapiens suicidus 

Note: no species were imperiled by this post only solar charged electrons moved about.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, nomadpete said:

My apologies  Spacey. You do have a spacesailer?

Pilots might try to deny this, but there is a lot in common between flying and sailing.

Spot on, energy management is everything on a sailboat,  add in weather, navigation, check lists and such. Sailing is more like gliding, the air is both what moves or kills you. 

Just like flying, with sailing or distance cruising by motor, nature does not give a damn of your existence and is actively trying to kill you. Any failure can be fatal, you can't just pull to the roadside and stop.

I had my mooring serviced today, a recent big South East low storm hit 75 knots through the passage, I was onboard and fine, others no so much. My mooring right in the fastest part of the channel never moved.

I did however worry for others only to see destroyed boats the next day. 

I love the natural world but it will kill and doesn't love you back.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

Nowadays there's even ' wings "  ( foils) to fly at a greater speed than the wind ! .

Unbelievable. To Get a dinghy up on it's step is exhilarating.  But nothing like these new ' flying ' boats .

spacesailor

Yep awesome 😎.

I have seen a old bloke 70 ish cruise past standing on a electric surfboard with foils. Amazing, 20 knots, no wake at all visible, dead silent and not effected by swell. The smile on his dial was priceless.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Litespeed said:

a old bloke 70 ish

Listen, young fella. Just remember who you are talking to on this site. Keep up that sort of cheek and you'll be sent to bed without your dinner.

Bugger! Just been pulled over by the Grammar Police. "Just remember to whom you are talking ..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 1

12 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Sailboats have been going faster than the prevailing wind

That seems counter-intuitive. If a sailboat went faster than the wind around it, it would crash into the air in front of it, and that would slow the boat.

The only way I can think to get around that conundrum is that because the wind is applying a force to the boat, according the Newton, it must accelerate, and if that acceleration is greater then the deceleration caused by drag, then the boat will go faster than the wind. When the acceleration caused by the wind equals the deceleration caused by drag, then the boat would reach a maximum speed.

I think a problem with thinking that the boat can go faster than the wind, is the Frame of Reference we are using to measure velocity against. But today is Sunday and my brain is observing the Sabbath, so I can't answer that proposition.

• Like 1

You can sail faster then the wind, but you can't go faster than the wind. I keep re-reading the article below until my head hurts, and I'm still struggling to get a grasp of the whole picture.

Maybe it's because I don't really like wind, I've spent too much time working in the open in the wind, and I find too much wind is extremely annoying.

https://www.sail-world.com/Australia/How-DOES-a-sailboat-go-faster-than-the-wind/-54408?source=google#:~:text=The true wind equals the,go faster than the wind.