What'll you do on Wattle Day?

old man emu

The First of September is a special day. Most of us think of it as the official start of Spring, and the same "most of us" forget it is the day to commemorate our national floral emblem, Acacia pycnantha, the Golden Wattle. 

22Oronsay22-ship-wattle-designed-by-Paul-Jones-.jpg?resize=659%2C1024&ssl=1

The first known use of wattle as a meaningful emblem dates back to the early days of Tasmania. In 1836 for the first Hobart Town Anniversary Regatta, a triumphal arch decorated with wattle blossom was used to celebrate the discovery of the island by Abel Tasman in 17th century. In the late 1880s and through the 1890s, the push to Federation included a desire for a national symbol. In February 1891 there was as article on national symbols in the Melbourne Herald which in part was responding to Canada's choice of the maple leaf as national emblem. It was proposed that wattle should become the Australian emblem. The first suggestion of a Wattle Day was made by Mr Campbell, an ornithologist and field naturalist, during a speech in September 1908. He had initiated the Wattle Club in 1899.

The first celebration of Wattle Day in more than one state on the same day took place on 1st September 1910, in NSW, Vic, and S.A. Golden Wattle (Acacia Pycnantha) was incorporated into the design of the Australian Coat of Arms in 1912.

coat-of-arms.png?resize=220%2C170&ssl=1

The proclamation of Wattle as the national floral emblem was made during the Bicentennial Year, on the First of September 1988. 

After a campaign. lead by Maria Hitchcock of Armidale, NSW with the support of Ian McNamara of the ABC, (Macca of the Australia All Over radio programme),  Wattle Day formally was gazetted by the Government. On 23rd June 1992. Bill Hayden, Governor General of the Commonwealth Australia, declared that 1st September would be observed as National Wattle Day.

The first Europeans found that the smaller specimens were pretty good for the wattle and daub method of building. So the English name for the tree used for the same process in England was applied to this indigenous plant. Not that this was any news to the First Peoples who had been making shelters of varying permanency for yonks.

• Informative 3

I'll do the same on St George's Day.

"Fora" or "Forums"?

The current entry from the Oxford Dictionary says, The plural of forum is usually spelled forums; the plural fora (as in the original Latin) is chiefly used when talking about a public square in an ancient Roman city.

In Rome, the fora were the local "central business districts" where markets were held; people meet for social reasons, or to discuss political matters or local administration matter; orators orated, and in some, legal matters were determined. The idea of people gathering to discuss and debate in a public place, lead to "forum" being used to describe public meetings from the time of WWI. That meaning took off on the 1930s, slumped a bit until the mid-1960s, then began its rise to current levels of usage. You can notice a sort of correlation between the use of the word and the involvement of the ordinary people in hot topics of the day (Blue line)

enter image description here

You'll also notice a corresponding rise in the use of "fora". That's more likely the results of pedants having a smattering of Latin insisting on using the original plural.

If a person's post was to be savagely attacked by others, we can say that the original poster had been "caesared", since Julius got his come-uppance in the Forum.

• Informative 1

I know, I'm late to the party - wattle day was yesterday. But yesterday, I celebrated Wattle day by staying in bed with my doona. The bedside remote outside temp showed a big fat zero. Same today.

IMG_20230827_083155.jpg

IMG_20230827_071758.jpg

Edited by nomadpete
Added photographic proof
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Re the Wattle, I was rather surprised to find out recently that the Sydney Golden Wattle has established itself in W.A. and is regarded as a noxious weed by many, as it takes over and pushes out the native W.A. Wattles.

I never took a lot of notice before of the various Wattles, I always thought Wattles were Wattles, and they were endemic to all of Australia. But not so, apparently, we have our own exclusive varieties here on the Left Coast.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-19/wa-wages-war-on-invasive-sydney-golden-wattle/102749548

• Informative 2
  • Sad 1

Regarding National Floral Emblems.

When you think of the rose as an emblem, what country do you think of? 

The one Nation that trumpets its revolutionary overthrow of an absentee governing regime, has as its National Floral Emblem the very flower that represents the very regime it overthrew.

Yanks just don't get irony.

• Informative 1

Not when there's "ornery" available. Rather it's a "divided" nation to have  the name "United" as a major part of it's name  for the State it's in. Australia could be AWE stralia if we got a move on and stopped being outstandingly stupid, but we are good at it SO....  Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 2

Finally dragged myself out  of bed to face the world. It is a lovely  sunny day. All of 6 degrees! So I went into my shed/cave and filled the fireplace with blazing Wattle. I love Wattle, it gives me a lovely warm glow.

I can't do that with roses!

Edited by nomadpete
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I remember the referendum, where we chose to stay with the "god save lizzy windsor/battenburg"  instead of "waltzing matilda". Gosh I would have loved to be a citizen of a country that had a catchy tune about a sheep-stealing suicidal swaggy for a national anthem. Alas the "no" vote prevailed.

The other referendum I voted in I lost too...  it was the republic one. I wouldn't have minded losing that so much except that Tony Abbott lied and played the fools so well that they didn't know what they were doing. I wonder to this day if Turnbull was a fool or a liar for his part in the loss.

• Informative 1

thx Octave.  Interesting how attitudes changed huh.

I would like us to have a LOT more referendums here.

1. increased tax on oligarchs

2. sugar tax

3.Fossil fuels tax ( but i have to say that dick smith was correct in saying oldies should not vote on climate-change things)

I could add more, but what's the point? We only have this "voice" thing which doesn't really interest me.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1