Are we the lucky ones?

red750

INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THE 1% ERS: 
99% of people born between 1930 and 1946 (GLOBALLY) are now dead. 
If you were born in this time span, your ages range between 77 and 93 years old (a 16-year age span) and you are one of the rare surviving one-percenters.

• Informative 2

I often look at old photos and film and realise that all the people I'm looking at, or watching, are all dead.

The scary part is, I found a photo of a country football Premiers team from 1950, and looking at the names, I realised that most of them were former farmer clients of mine.

Then I started doing some more research, and found out that nearly every single one of them is dead! I know of only one left alive, he's around 93 or 94.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spacesailor said:

Our children ' Hopefully ' will get to that elusive 100 year age .

More "hopeless" than "hopeful".

Boomers in Australia born between 1946 and 1958 are likely to be the longest lived. Why? because we mostly grew up on meat and two veg; ran around outside until the sun set in all weathers. No Maccas on every corner. Very little highly processed food. A Chow feed or Pommy baked dinner on a Friday night were treats, not BOHICA.

Today I was thinking that I might tell my kids to do something about their obesity. I want to be in a grave looking up at them, not at a grave looking down on them.

>

>

>
>

BOHICA: Bend Over. Here It Comes Again

• Like 1

I know a number of people who are over 100, and I fully intend to get there, too. Just got to keep the Big C at bay, and not step out in front of speeding buses.

SWMBO has gone along to numerous palm readers over the years, and every one of them states categorically, after examining her hand lines, that she will live to over 100.

The last one, an old Chinese lady, got quite excited when reading her palm, and said, "You will live to 100, plus, plus, plus!!" :yikes:

• Like 1

OME, they sure were not fat in those days but they also died young. I had 3 rellies ( not blood relations thank goodness) who all died at 48! This seemed so strange that I looked it up, and it seems that if you have everything against you then at 48 you succumb on account of losing your youthful resilience.

• Informative 1

Quite interesting to see the recent ABC News article outlining the projection that in 40 years, the number of Australians over the age of 85 is set to triple.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-20/number-of-australians-over-85-set-to-triple-in-40-years/102753070

I was quite amazed to find out recently that there's still an estimated 4,500 WW2 veterans alive. This figure is down from 7,800 WW2 veterans left alive in 2022. Most are between 96 and 103 years old.

I know three people who have had their 103rd birthday, or are in their 103rd year.

Edited by onetrack
  • Informative 1

I got that OLD feeling ! ,

When,

My Daughter became a " Gray Nomad  " .

Later it ! ,

It Hit me,  I tripped on a ' pothole ' breaking my arm , elbow,  & tore the shoulder tendon. .

So many doctors APPS.

I DON'T THINK I SHOULD GET SURGERY. 

I mean old dogs are put down if injured  . LoL

spacesailor

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

I reckon we treat dogs better than some people. We put dogs out of their misery, which is more than we do for old people.

Dogs are lucky in not being subjects of religion.

But now that I think about it, the dogs don't get any say in what is done to them - which is about the same problem that old people complain about.

Anyway, I'm not one of those 'lucky ones'. It must be the only thing in the world that I'm too young for.

• Like 3