Why on earth do less people vote for the Libs?

Jerry_Atrick

OK. So work for the dole is still in place. Must be a bl**dy small number.

Why, when every industry is crying out for staff, businesses going to the wall because they don't can't get staff, are we hearing about the cost of the increasing number of jobseekers? What sort of work are these people, crying that the dole is insufficient to live on, looking for? Banana straighteners on salaries equivalent to Alan Joyce?

The amount is CERTAINLY not enough to  exist on. Just WHO could /would say it was?   Work for the Dole was never a well intentioned process and they were not even insured on the job. It's more a rubbing their noses in Cats#!t thing. Like Robodebt.   Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

When I got retrenched, I never got the dole as it was called then. I got any job I could. Door to door selling (books, roof sealing, accounting software), telemarketing, sweeping schoolyards, part time drink waiter, you name it. Was registered with three Temp agencies. Worked one job which was 6 pm till 6 am,monitoring alarms. Was there for 18 months.

• Like 2

I’m with Red, in general terms. Everyone should contribute, nobody should get anything for nothing.

The problems is partly geography and poor management (the jobs are often far from the unemployed) but also social.

We should be making it easier for people to escape our ghettos of welfare dependence; they are a ticking time bomb for our civil society.

It starts in the cradle: every little kid should learn to clean their own room, their classroom, etc and take their turn to take away the garbage. All kids should develop an appreciation of where stuff comes from, from food to their clothes and toys.

A problem for kids nowadays, and I am referring to Primary School-aged kids, is that COVID has changed the way we pay for things. I know a lot of you still carry notes and coins, but modern families all pay using digital devices. So the kids never get to actually handle coins and notes. That lack of handling experience results in their not having any concept of what money is.

I know that as they grow older, they too will handle their purchases digitally, but before they do that, they must understand the concept of notes and coins as trading goods, which those things were created long ago to replace. For them, using digital devices can lead to the same concepts as seen in the Cargo Cults of PNG in the 50s.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Nobody would argue with that. I sold newspapers at 13 and picked fruit worked as a mechanic etc. You'd get another job within days but I don't want to join the chorus of you are doing badly because you deserve to which the LNP have been putting out. In the country it's easier to pickup casual work and you can live a lot cheaper. and not have to travel anything like you do in a city and there's plenty of firms who will dud young people and some with big names.. In the country word gets  around about who's reliable and who isn't.  Nev

• Like 2

OME  some of my kids told me IF I need money just go to the BANK and THEY will give it too you.  That's what they get taught at school with the Banks and their CRED.. In the old days they gave you a little metal BANK and got you started with a SAVINGS Account. The  Neocon's SYSTEM wants you IN DEBT and Desperate so you'll take any job for low PAY.   Nev

• Like 1

That's probably the result of getting it too easily. If you heard stories of the great Depression and lived during  the war and just after, you'd value things more and waste less. The advertising Industry is unceasingly trying to make you buy things you maybe don't really need and when the attraction of CASHBACK entices you ALL hope is lost.  Nev

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

every little kid should learn to clean their own room, their classroom, etc

I have seen where, in Japan, schools have no cleaners. Every child is required to keep the school clean and tidy.

49 minutes ago, facthunter said:

The advertising Industry is unceasingly trying to make you buy things you maybe don't really need

Absolutely Nev. The amount of garbage advertised on TV, the internet, everywhere, is incredible. And the people pushing it ae held up as examples, or influencers. I have learned, of necessity, to live frugally. My son and daughter insist on buying a take-away lunch every Friday. A 90c cup of instant noodles does me. Sure, a HJ's Whopper or Carolina Chicken would be nice, but too damned expensive. Maybe for my birthday perhaps.

• Like 2

Hmm.. well that certainly generated a response I wasn't counting on. I don't think the vid was about how "abhorrent the work for the dole scheme is", but about a politician leading a political party who either has no clue about what is going on, or is weaponising deliberate BS to try and score political points... And that may be the reason why less (or I should have wrote fewer) people are voting for the libs.. in their droves.

Or maybe I just see things differently, because it wasn't intended to be a post to discuss work for the dole (otherwise I guess I would have put Work for the Dole in the title)..

FWIW, I am for working for the dole, done properly; and we have tried to instill both a working and enterprising culture in our kids - we have so far got a 50% pass rate on that; the other is more a philosopher and historian type.

I didn't even know it existed; I think it started not too long after I left Aus and the world was consumed with the Tampa child overboard story at the time. It was compulsory, but was made optional by Rudd and stayed there ever since, according to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_for_the_Dole

It doesn't seem to have changed much since then, so it is not exactly a product of Albanese's government that there may be a low participation rate in it (I am guessing you didn't see too many on the streets sweeping leaves or whatever they were asked to do before Covid lockdowns). Naturally, it was suspended during loickdown. In fact, in 2019, its particiaption rate of the unemployed under the so-called mutual obligation requirement dropped from 48% to 16% - and who was in government at the time: https://www.acoss.org.au/faces-of-unemployment-2020/; and to quote:

"In August 2019, of the 88,600 people engaged in the six months of compulsory 'annual activity' described above: 36% were in part-time employment (up from 26% in 2016-17); 22% were in vocational training (up from 17%); 16% were in Work for the Dole (down from 48%);"

OK - that is only one month, but it seems it has nothing to do with Labor.

Of course, regardless of perception about whether or not it is the right thing for unemployed, I tend to try and find proof in the numbers. And, surprisingly, it is hard to find any statistics on it through google searching, anyway. And on the government's own Work for the Dole websdite, there is nothing but some fact sheets and handbooks on how it all works. The only thing I could really find is this: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/oct/01/nearly-90-of-work-for-the-dole-participants-not-in-full-time-work-after-three-months.

I am guessing 3 months was the magical number after which people would be expected to be able to find full time employment, and if that is the case, I would suggest a 10% success rate is not a pass.  So, maybe it needs changing, because, I am guessing it doesn't address the root causes of long term unemployment.. Maybe a second voice is needed 😉

(mind you, that report is quite old, but it's all I really could find).

Edited by Jerry_Atrick

You've been spying. On Monday, my daughter made a large pot of lamb shank soup. Enough for 6 meals for the three of us, plus 3 for my other son to take home when he visits tomorrow. One meal Monday, 5 in the freezer. Do the same once or twice every year.

• Like 2

You may have to make some yourself but the small quantities make it a bit too much for too little so freezing makes it worth while. Burnt onion with a toasted cheese and bread slice is nice.. Chinese style chicken and corn from the left over chook (free range)? Getting Hungry?

• Like 2

I did almost all the cooking for the past 10 years, and some of it before that. I still do a bit, but my daughter has taken over much of it for the last 6 - 8 months. She has to do something to justify her Carers pension. I can't remember when my wife last cooked a meal, over 10 years before she passed away.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Hmm.. well that certainly generated a response I wasn't counting on. I don't think the vid was about how "abhorrent the work for the dole scheme is", but about a politician leading a political party who either has no clue about what is going on, or is weaponising deliberate BS to try and score political points...

Jerry, we took your point. Then reverted back to our usual gossip.

• Like 2

Alternative answer, because anyone under 30 can see they're full of shit and is voting Green instead.

Lower the voting age to 16, I say - it's their world to inherit, they should have a say in who stuffs it up.

• Like 1

I reckon the greens are even fuller of s##t than the libs. I also think most of us on this site could tell the libs what to do to get back.

Being totally anti-corruption is the big one. I would advise them to paint labor as being the party of corruption.

Edited by Bruce Tuncks
  • Like 1